shuttlecock XXIV: it's the little swings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if i was going on the show i'd pick something like "the alphabet" if you really can choose anything.

edit: wait did you win a prize or something?

Last edited:
Bono jumped into the crowd during Bad at Live Aid, waded away into the masses and has never been seen since. U2 had a good run there from 1980 to 1985, and their fans still discuss them to this day on many message boards.

Confirmed rumor - Bono to bring back the "Do-do-do-do-do-do" back at the end of "Bad" but this time to the style of "Baby Shark"

Would have known everything except had to make an educated guess on WOWY and would have guessed correctly.

I mean, I know I owned cassette singles prior to 1987 so it couldn’t be that.

What other possible answer is there, MiniDisc single?

Also, this thread in general is on fire today, bringing the lolz like the good ol’ days. :applaud:

Popped in the Vertigo tour vid yesterday for old time's sake, and while I know this one is divisive, I'll still take it over Elevation in Boston.

A couple notes:

* it's pretty damned cool that we get both The Cry/Electric Co and An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart within the first five songs.

* I know they always bring it on Electric Co, but this version seems particularly ferocious? Bono quotes the "despite all my rage/I'm still just a rat in a cage" from the Pumpkins during the breakdown, but then starts shouting it again at the end, and it finishes with Bono collapsed next to a monitor, sweating and breathing heavily. I felt drained just watching it.

* This may be the least interesting version of Bullet, but it was cool to hear Edge do such a "clean" version of the normally dirty solo. Reminded me of Hendrix a little.

* Running to Stand Still: ok, not as memorable as the one from ZooTV but I love Bono on harp at the beginning and it still works really well with the Hallelujah section at the end. Besides, you can't really repeat the whole heroin addict musical theatre role playing again without it looking even tackier.

* Streets: people hate this version, right? I actually like Bono's wailing during the big explosion after the intro, seems to be singing some kind of African song. If you'd never seen it live before I guess you'd be annoyed at how he's messing with it, but I find it refreshing.

* Zoo Station: great visual presentation, was so nice to have this back in the set. I still laugh hard when Bono's singing the "alright, alright, alright" during the breakdown, starts to do the Nazi salute, pushes that arm down with the other and says "not alright!" The whole quasi-Dr. Strangelove thing plus the biker gang hat and the goose-stepping cracks me up in general

* The Fly: some are partial to the Elevation version, this one still rocks too.

* All Because of You: not a great song but again, it rocks. They bring it. Their most Who-like song.

Kind of peters out near the end; it's nice to have Original of the Species and it sounds fine but it really needs Edge on guitar and it never truly worked until those couple times they brought Terry Lawless out of his cave and let him play keys on stage while Edge did what he's supposed to. I love Yahweh on the album but it's boring acoustic and falls flat. And yes, it's good to have 40 on video again but they omitted Party Girl from the DVD which is lame.

Listening to TUF today on its birthday... Wire is so good. Hard to believe they wrote it, it's quite singular for their catalogue. Bono rapping, fire bass guitar as the most prominent instrument for most of the song... it's so good. This would rip if they brought it out live.

You get to see Adam playing a fair bit in this clip:

This is sick:

Popped in the Vertigo tour vid yesterday for old time's sake, and while I know this one is divisive, I'll still take it over Elevation in Boston.

A couple notes:

* it's pretty damned cool that we get both The Cry/Electric Co and An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart within the first five songs.

* I know they always bring it on Electric Co, but this version seems particularly ferocious? Bono quotes the "despite all my rage/I'm still just a rat in a cage" from the Pumpkins during the breakdown, but then starts shouting it again at the end, and it finishes with Bono collapsed next to a monitor, sweating and breathing heavily. I felt drained just watching it.

* This may be the least interesting version of Bullet, but it was cool to hear Edge do such a "clean" version of the normally dirty solo. Reminded me of Hendrix a little.

* Running to Stand Still: ok, not as memorable as the one from ZooTV but I love Bono on harp at the beginning and it still works really well with the Hallelujah section at the end. Besides, you can't really repeat the whole heroin addict musical theatre role playing again without it looking even tackier.

* Streets: people hate this version, right? I actually like Bono's wailing during the big explosion after the intro, seems to be singing some kind of African song. If you'd never seen it live before I guess you'd be annoyed at how he's messing with it, but I find it refreshing.

* Zoo Station: great visual presentation, was so nice to have this back in the set. I still laugh hard when Bono's singing the "alright, alright, alright" during the breakdown, starts to do the Nazi salute, pushes that arm down with the other and says "not alright!" The whole quasi-Dr. Strangelove thing plus the biker gang hat and the goose-stepping cracks me up in general

* The Fly: some are partial to the Elevation version, this one still rocks too.

* All Because of You: not a great song but again, it rocks. They bring it. Their most Who-like song.

Kind of peters out near the end; it's nice to have Original of the Species and it sounds fine but it really needs Edge on guitar and it never truly worked until those couple times they brought Terry Lawless out of his cave and let him play keys on stage while Edge did what he's supposed to. I love Yahweh on the album but it's boring acoustic and falls flat. And yes, it's good to have 40 on video again but they omitted Party Girl from the DVD which is lame.

I've always felt like that version of Fly is perhaps the greatest live version(officially released, anyway).

And I don't hate that version of Streets at all, it's prefectly fine. I just don't think the transition from Pride to Streets works all that well.

RTSS is solid, the ZooTV version is an all-time level performance of anything.

I disagree with you about OOTS and Yahweh. I've always loved those first-leg performances of OOTS with just the keyboard, I feel like it was a nice alternative version to the studio version with all that production. Really allowed the melodies to come out.

And that's my favorite version of Yahweh. I think the acoustic guitar suits it well and makes it more memorable than all the chime-y-ness of the album version. One of the reasons I also kind of prefer the Unreleased&Rare version of Yahweh - it's not acoustic, but it kind of has more of a texture to it than the album version.

Last thing - they did something at the end of One on this tour that never did before or after - Bono & Edge sang this 'oh-oh-oh' type chorus after the guitar solo at the end. Nothing beats Hear Us Lord, but I quite like this.

Listening to TUF today on its birthday... Wire is so good. Hard to believe they wrote it, it's quite singular for their catalogue. Bono rapping, fire bass guitar as the most prominent instrument for most of the song... it's so good. This would rip if they brought it out live.

You get to see Adam playing a fair bit in this clip:

[snipped]

This is sick:

[snipped]

Wire is right next to Please at the top of my list of songs I wish they would play live. Kicks all kinds of ass.

I wrote a big long thing about UF five years ago on its 30th birthday(you even commented in the thread), but I'll leave the link here in case you or anyone else would like to read it on the album's 35th birthday. I reference the unique nature of Wire that you speak of, among many other things.

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...able-fire-30th-anniversary-thread-217279.html

wire is a 10/10 song for me. bono once said something like it's the ultimate example of the edge's playing style and i couldn't agree more (for 80's U2 anyways). but every band member is performing at their very best on that song.

that second video you posted is fucking killer. shout out to the stagehand flinging the mic cord around behind bono as he skips around the stage lol.

Last edited:
JT17 had A Sort of Homecoming (briefly)
E+I had Acrobat

I'd be pretty happy with Wire for JT19 as the rare song they dig up that nobody saw coming

How awesome is the setlist when they played it for the first time 35 years ago btw, even if they don't crack the 20 songs mark.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but I just remembered I still have not listened to the E+I version of Dirty Day based on how awful most people said it was.

It's probably a mixing thing, but every Zoo Station they've done post-ZooTV has always sounded way too sparse. The drums don't sound as aggressive, and I don't know if they dropped a keyboard or something, but it's just not what it was on ZooTV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom