shuttlecock XXIV: it's the little swings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha, good work team

Yes, that's enough to ruin it. Magnificent has a great vocal, whatever you think of the lyrics. And the percussion has something going on, moreso than the generic sound of what Cock Crazy is serving up.

The live version is a completely different animal; calling it "better" is an understatement. It was their way of acknowledging Pop/Discotheque without actually doing so.

It doesn't. The way Bono sings "oh oh magniiiiiificent" is so bad. And more akin to being kicked in the testicles. It's so bad. It is incredibly uninspired. The only salvagable parts are Edge's guitar and Adam's bass.

Ashley found the head line nazi on Fitz's facebook posting dumbass shit following an enormous earthquake in SoCal:

5m9ZXLT.jpg

"Is the plaque OK?"

Ugh, such a lack of sensitivity. I don’t want to be around him the day he gets shaken out of his U2 obsession.

I still remember the “Does anyone know if Bono is in New York” posts as the WTC was falling.

i thought "is bono ok?" was born when that small plane flown by the yankees pitcher crashed into a residential building in midtown and people freaked out in the other place. has it actually been around since 9/11?

On another note, I did some purging on my Apple Music and decided to delete a lot of my U2 bootlegs, alternative track list playlists, and gazillions if remixes that I haven’t listened to in at least 10 years.

My U2 fandom, while always strong, is not nearly what it used to be since I’ve recently gravitated to bands like Biffy Clyro, Dance Gavin Dance, etc. And I think it might help to just randomly listen to an album as is instead of always looking at which alternate tracklist works better and all that stuff.

i thought "is bono ok?" was born when that small plane flown by the yankees pitcher crashed into a residential building in midtown and people freaked out in the other place. has it actually been around since 9/11?

The actual “Is Bono ok” didn’t originate from 9/11 but I definitely recall the “Dies anyone know of Bono’s whereabouts?” posts.

You are correct.
Is Bono OK stems from the Cory Lidle plane crash. 2006.

Scattered thoughts on some posts from the previous pages:

The 'Crazy Tonight' remix never worked for me. Would have much preferred they just suck it up and do a Discotheque remix there. That happy, upbeat verse melody over a sinister minor-key bass groove just didn't work for me.

I maintain that 'Unknown Caller' would have been the 2nd best song on the album (Cedars remains my favorite) if they hadn't fucked with it. The clip that begins at 1:08:36 of this video from Daniel Lanois's Here Is What Is documentary of a work-in-progress version of Unknown Caller sounds much grander and, as a plus, has better (if basic) lyrics than the Apple-related nonsense that ended up on the album. Maybe it's just within the context of the documentary, immediately following Bono working out a melody on an unamplified guitar, but it also sounds as if the chorus is 'bigger' here. The version on the album falls flat. This one sounds huge. https://vimeo.com/36364993

I might get tomato'd for this, but "Fez" is just okay to me. It's atmospheric and all, but never goes anywhere as a song.

I never understood the hate for the studio version of EBW. It's my favorite track on SoI, which is an album I liked quite a bit.

One of my LA hipster friends posted a status on Facebook today expressing anger and confusion over the SOI invasion of her phone, and others joined in, in case anyone thought everyone had moved on and forgiven.

She did at least give props to “old” Shuttlecock, and someone else said they still loved Boy, for what it’s worth.

One of my LA hipster friends posted a status on Facebook today expressing anger and confusion over the SOI invasion of her phone, and others joined in, in case anyone thought everyone had moved on and forgiven.

She did at least give props to “old” Shuttlecock, and someone else said they still loved Boy, for what it’s worth.

I saw something similar on Reddit a couple weeks ago, and I responded “Could be worse. Imagine if Trump were president”

Is there are more badass act in the history of rock music than a band at the height of their powers interrupting 13 of their shows for a live fucking satellite link to civilians on the ground in the middle of a civil war?

"I want to say hello to the people in Bologna, thank you Bill, U2, tonight we don't feel alone as we usually do."

And then the Bad synth loop begins.... shivers.

Fucking imagine that. No current artist alive with a comparable level of stardom would have even one-tenth the amount of balls.

I haven't seen this video so thanks for that. Goosebumps every time, and it does bring back some odd memories from those times.

I was listening to the Glasgow and London shows with the link-ups and the tension got progressively worse with each one. There's a particularly haunting one at the 1st night in Wembley where a woman from Sarajevo frustratingly asks Bono what does the band actually do for them. The resulting frustration bleeds in into some of the most powerful performances from the band afterwards.

After months of waiting, U2 have finally released the full track listing for the fan club release, U2 Live Songs Of iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE. Composed of 23 live tracks released over the past four years, it is a comprehensive collection of the live work U2 have made from their past two albums. Rather than focusing on new live versions of past songs, such as the eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE version of “New Year’s Day,” or the reworked iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE version of “Miracle Drug,” the track list is built around U2’s more recent songs, even rarities like “The Crystal Ballroom.” It includes:

“The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)” - Live From New York 2015
“Iris (Hold Me Close)” - Live From Montreal 2018
“Cedarwood Road” - Live From Paris 2015
“Song For Someone” - Live From Boston 2015
“Raised By Wolves” - Live From Stockholm 2015
“Invisible” - Live From Toronto 2015
“The Troubles” - Live From Vancouver 2015
“California” - Live From Chicago 2015
“Every Breaking Wave” - Live From Chicago 2015
“The Crystal Ballroom” - Live From Boston 2015
“Volcano” - Live From London 2015
“Love Is All We Have Left” - Live From Uniondale 2018
“The Blackout” - Live From Belfast 2018
“Lights Of Home” - Live From Copenhagen 2018
“Landlady” - Live From Milan 2018
“Red Flag Day” - Live From Cologne 2018
“Get Out Of Your Own Way” - Live From New York 2018
“American Soul” - Live From Las Vegas 2018
“Summer Of Love” - Live From Hamburg 2018
“You're The Best Thing About Me” - Live From Inglewood 2018
“The Little Things That Give You Away” - Live From Rome 2017
“Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way” - Live From Uncasville 2018
“13 (There Is A Light)” - Live From Amsterdam 2018

Despite the fact that there's no live 'Acrobat,' I'm quite pleased that the band has limited this to live recordings from the Songs of... albums. It's a show of support for their current material.

Gang, I'm horny for a new U2 album. Get back with Eno and Lanois for one final piece. Make it tasteful and beautiful. Call it the Unforgettable Fire 2

Wait no. Just do sequels to all your albums. 11 or 12 songs all written in the vein of the albums they're following.

Boy 2: Man
October 2: Even Octoberier
War 2: Dick Cheney is Dead
TUF 2: The Drugs are Working Again
Joshua Tree 2: More Acid in the Desert
Achtung Baby 2: More Cocaine in Berlin
Zooropa 2: What the fuck do you Want?
POP 2: Let's fuck
ATYCLUB 2: America is gonna Love This One
HTDAAB 2: HTDAAB HARDER
NLOTH 2: Larry Has a Say This Time

Status