shuttlecock XXIV: it's the little swings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose my take on U2, independent of this tour business later this year, is that I don't wish them to be frozen in the past, but I wish that their present was about 1000 times better than it is.

The last time I felt like some of their new material was potentially their best was POP. So it's been a rough twenty years for this fan. But hey, I got twenty good years out of them, so I don't know if I'll hand in my card.

I get it, this is something that happens to most people. They start to want the artists they love entombed and frozen at a point when it was at its best. I just thought that the people on this forum understood what set U2 apart and wanted to stand by that ethos.

People who are happy to see U2 tour the Joshua Tree want their artists entombed and frozen in time? Do you understand how misrepresentative and condescending that is?

Is there are more badass act in the history of rock music than a band at the height of their powers interrupting 13 of their shows for a live fucking satellite link to civilians on the ground in the middle of a civil war?

"I want to say hello to the people in Bologna, thank you Bill, U2, tonight we don't feel alone as we usually do."

And then the Bad synth loop begins.... shivers.

Fucking imagine that. No current artist alive with a comparable level of stardom would have even one-tenth the amount of balls.

Is there are more badass act in the history of rock music than a band at the height of their powers interrupting 13 of their shows for a live fucking satellite link to civilians on the ground in the middle of a civil war?

"I want to say hello to the people in Bologna, thank you Bill, U2, tonight we don't feel alone as we usually do."

And then the Bad synth loop begins.... shivers.

Fucking imagine that. No current artist alive with a comparable level of stardom would have even one-tenth the amount of balls.

It was certainly a profound thing, and it speaks to the band's history of using their platform for good. It was powerful(and uncomfortable for some in the band - Larry called it 'excruciating', but that was the point). Though, I think it wasn't popular with everyone at the time. "U2 At The End Of The World" says they got savaged for it some corners of the British press.

I think it was ultimately a great thing though, just to raise awareness.

It’s more badass than a band in 2019 doing a link back to 1987, that’s for sure.

:rolleyes: Come on, man.

I think Crazy Tonight is a nice song. I like the music video, too.

giphy.gif

All of it is good/great except for the middle trio and to be honest Crazy Tonight sounds kinda good after the dogshit singles from SOE.

That's my hot take for the day.

The live version was good for one tour for something different, and for enabling a bunch of unexpected snippets (Pop :sad:). I don't really need to hear the song in any form ever again though.

I tend to find EBW and Crazy around the middle of their respective albums.
Middles which are both substantially stronger than SOE.

Crazy Tonight live took a bland song and made it something different.
EBW live took a solid typical sounding U2 song and made it sound like it was trying too hard.
Miracle live as an opener as I+E kicked into gear made me accept it and the studio version as something a little more than 'oh, it's another generic 00s/10s U2 song'.

I've always had a soft spot for Crazy Tonight. It's maybe the most saccharine song they've written, and the verses are shithouse, but goddamn does everything else do it for me. I love Edge's galloping guitar line and Bono's soaring vocals in the chorus. It sounds like the U2 that I fell in love with in 2004 when I heard HTDAAB and specifically COBL for the first time.

It's a lot better than Magnificent, one of Bono's worst ever performances both lyrically and vocally, Unknown Caller, maybe their dumbest song ever.

The live version was a million times better and really enjoyable.

I've always had a soft spot for Crazy Tonight. It's maybe the most saccharine song they've written, and the verses are shithouse, but goddamn does everything else do it for me. I love Edge's galloping guitar line and Bono's soaring vocals in the chorus. It sounds like the U2 that I fell in love with in 2004 when I heard HTDAAB and specifically COBL for the first time.

It's a lot better than Magnificent, one of Bono's worst ever performances both lyrically and vocally, Unknown Caller, maybe their dumbest song ever.

The live version was a million times better and really enjoyable.

(kicked in testicles) "...haven't hearrrrrd"

The guitar solo is trash as well.

Yes, that's enough to ruin it. Magnificent has a great vocal, whatever you think of the lyrics. And the percussion has something going on, moreso than the generic sound of what Cock Crazy is serving up.

The live version is a completely different animal; calling it "better" is an understatement. It was their way of acknowledging Pop/Discotheque without actually doing so.

Unknown Caller has really clicked with me lately. I love the nocturnal atmosphere of it, Edge brings his A game (never happens once on SOE) and I actually love the huge vocals in the chorus, though I wish they were singing different lyrics.

By far the weakest part of the song is how overwritten and clunky the lyrics are, but musically I think it's a good effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom