Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be curious to hear another version of this. It's very poppy, and the little bit of guitar we get is good. I am beginning to think the studio version of this may still have some EDM beats not unlike Sky Full of Stars.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

God help us all if that's the case.

... although it will be hard to be as bad as that Aviicii crap in the Coldplay song.

If this is the album version, I'm a little worried about the album.

Can't say I loved that. It sounded like a song any pop band of today could've written. Like Maroon 5 or something. But then it's a remix so hopefully the full version is thicker, fuller.

If they're allowing a DJ to play a remix, does that mean an official release isn't far off?

No matter what happens, the lyrics will be bad. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like he's saying:

"You're the best thing about me/
You're the best thing that ever happened to Boy"

So he's referring to the band's debut album. The song is being sung to Steve Lillywhite. He's saying Steve is the best thing that happened to Boy.

Last edited:
Yeah, it feels like a one off single. If it does make it on the album if imagine it would sound different. But it feels like it's an ode to Ali. So it's in the theme of the retrospective songs about the early days of the band...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
Yeah, it feels like a one off single. If it does make it on the album if imagine it would sound different. But it feels like it's an ode to Ali. So it's in the theme of the retrospective songs about the early days of the band...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Oh definitely not. Album will be out soon enough. No way they'd go back on tour with only a one off single.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's something I wonder about their songwriting process: Bono comes in with a line like "every door smells like fresh paint," or something like that. Presumably a lot of people hear that line before it ever makes it to the public. Does no one question it? Hard to believe so many musicians, producers, etc all hear a line like that and say, "yep, that's the best he can possibly do."

I often wonder that, but with regards to Muse. Did nobody stand in Matt Bellamy's way when he started singing about how "your arse belongs to me now"? Not even the other two guys playing music with him?

But to bring this back to Bono, I can't fathom how nobody stepped in and said something about Stand Up Comedy. The existence of that song continues to baffle me.

If I were, let's say, the bassist in either of the above scenarios, I sure wouldn't want to be personally associated with a song featuring such crummy lyrics.

If I were, let's say, the bassist in either of the above scenarios, I sure wouldn't want to be personally associated with a song featuring such crummy lyrics.

cash rules everything around me
cream get the money
dolla dolla bill y'all

At this point, if Bono enters a room with a lyric that describes anything as being like something else, the band should tell him to go back and work on it some more. Tell him to read some better books, as he so clearly was during the 1987-93 era.

Here's something I wonder about their songwriting process: Bono comes in with a line like "every door smells like fresh paint," or something like that. Presumably a lot of people hear that line before it ever makes it to the public. Does no one question it? Hard to believe so many musicians, producers, etc all hear a line like that and say, "yep, that's the best he can possibly do."

I was watching this yesterday (seemingly unrelated and totally random, but watch it) and it gives an interesting perspective on this particular phenomenon:

Additionally to your point... I think there is a paradox in the way U2 works. On the one hand, they're allegedly extremely self-critical, overanalysing everything they do to the point of exhaustion, hiding this behind the veil of perfectionism, but on the other hand - as soon as they come to a halt with a certain outside person who might not be a yes-man and who might be driving more critical observations (everything Danger Mouse both produced alone and from his very carefully formulated statements after the fact lead me to believe this, and this is definitely the case with Eno and No Line on the Horizon), they change the working and creative atmosphere to their liking. Maybe to surround themselves exactly with the clique that wouldn't object to Stand Up Comedy lyrics.

Last edited:
The Best Thing sounds like any EDM + pop/rock singer collaboration from the past five years. Very much a Kygo ft. Bono track, if I had to guess. I doubt this is an indication of where the band as a whole is headed.

As for the song itself, I don't like it very much, but it isn't horrendous. Its biggest sin is being boring and unremarkable.

I think it's way too early to judge the song based on a bootleg recording of a Kygo remix of the album version...well other than the fact that it has baaaaaaad lyrics. :wink:

Overall it sounds like it could be catchy which I know is important to the band. Should be interesting to see when they actually release the single. I'm sure they're tempted too now, but then it would be about a 3 month gap between the single and album which is really long.

I was watching this yesterday (seemingly unrelated and totally random, but watch it) and it gives an interesting perspective on this particular phenomenon:

That's interesting...but do you think he is held in high enough regard as a lyricist that people around him just assume that what he's writing has artistic merit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom