Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only line on the entire POP album that I really take issue with is 'the blind leading the blonde' but as it's also from the weakest song on the album, I tune it out anyway. S'all good.

Childlike.

Christians pray from a child-to-parent perspective and that's what Bono was going for. No reason for him to be verbose.

Last edited:
I'll throw out an unpopular opinion: Crazy Tonight would be a perfectly OK song if it weren't for that falsetto Bono attempts in the verses.

What in the fuck was he thinking with that?

Funny you say that. I decided to give NLOTH a listen last night and I thought the same thing. Subtle tweaks could have made the song decent. The "Baby baby baby" part just seems so out of place too. The whole song is basically the sound of a band trying to manufacture a radio hit instead of just letting the music come to them.

Certain little things they do just boggle the mind. Take the lyric "Sexy Boots" out of GOYB and it likely wouldn't get anywhere near the derision it gets.

Live version:

"I don't want to talk about wars.......

(wait for it)

Between the Nations!

OOOOHHHHHHHH HEYO!

The video is still the most cringe-worthy thing about that song for me.

And y'all know me, I'm all PLEBA for Bono, but shirtless and the sunglasses and the rosary ...

1363491426534599310_zpszghdbzba.gif

The video is still the most cringe-worthy thing about that song for me.

And y'all know me, I'm all PLEBA for Bono, but shirtless and the sunglasses and the rosary ...

1363491426534599310_zpszghdbzba.gif

I forgot he was shirtless so I went and checked it out, first time in years I've gave it a listen or watch. Truth is, like the album, this song had potential. A better lyric and it would have gone a whole different direction. That "beautiful you are" part and the "let me in the sound" are brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Note to self:

If someone states that a music video you don't recall is cringe-worthy, don't go out of your way to immediately watch it.

I like the cheekiness of the line "sexy boots" and the way it's used. As an ode to female empowerment it's refreshing to have a little fun lyrically instead of being too on-the-nose and serious.

A lot better than the dumbed-down, inspire-the-world saccharine that is Cock Crazy. At least they had the decency to thumb their nose at it in the live version and go full-Discotheque campy.

Re: the GOYB video, there is one moment I always highlight as the absolute worst part of a truly awful video:

WcGyLvM.gif

So here, Bono punches his fist through a boulder (to aid the band in escaping a volcano?) which, I mean, OK. It's a music video. We all have our fantasies. Bono's is to punch mother nature in the uterus.

But then, in a stroke of editing genius, we return to Bono mid-punch, only now the boulder is long gone and he's left standing there, mouth agape, for no reason in particular. And they hang on that shot just long enough that you can tell what it is and wonder why no one picked a different shot altogether.

I think the video was such a clusterfuck that even the editor couldn't even keep track of what was happening.

Last edited:
GOYB discussion was brilliant, thanx i really didn't want to re-visit that video but I get to. I actually didn't hate that song as much when I heard that one in the show, though,

I'd never actually seen the Get On Your Boots video... if that gif on the previous page is representative of it, it just adds another black eye to their post-millennial debit column, putting something as shitty-cgi as that out on the back of a supposedly artsy album with tasteful black and white photography on the sleeve.

The hepcats U2 are targeting today can't be seen watching videos that are in black and white, have subtitles and feature excessive vertices

I wonder what U2 is going to do with screen on the next tour. I know they need to figure out one or two new ways to utilize that thing; it occupied good chunk of stage structure but it wasn't effectively used, I think.

Not this fucking argument again.

You're wrong. It shouldn't be deployed any more than it already was; half the show should still be the band playing with minimal background. And what they did do with it was pretty creative; I don't know how anyone could watch the Cedarwood Road and UTEOTW sections and claim the screen wasn't "effectively used". Or maybe you're just bored and spewing random shit for no reason like it seems you do with every other post.

Anyway, my Shuttlecock.com free gift showed up yesterday, fairly nice stuff. The one with the aforementioned UTEOTW imagery looks particularly good and would be worth hanging up. However, I could have done without the "bonus" poster consisting of the handwritten lyrics for Whordinary Love. I can't imagine many people who are going to be excited about that one.

Not this fucking argument again.

You're wrong. It shouldn't be deployed any more than it already was; half the show should still be the band playing with minimal background. And what they did do with it was pretty creative; I don't know how anyone could watch the Cedarwood Road and UTEOTW sections and claim the screen wasn't "effectively used". Or maybe you're just bored and spewing random shit for no reason like it seems you do with every other post.

Anyway, my Shuttlecock.com free gift showed up yesterday, fairly nice stuff. The one with the aforementioned UTEOTW imagery looks particularly good and would be worth hanging up. However, I could have done without the "bonus" poster consisting of the handwritten lyrics for Whordinary Love. I can't imagine many people who are going to be excited about that one.

This. If we have an argument, it's the 360 Tour where they had this amazing set up and could have done a lot more with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom