Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I literally still have not heard either of those songs on the radio, and I'm still a fairly committed terrestrial radio listener. I only have heard EBW once in public as I mentioned when it happened while eating lunch last year at Raising Cane's. And the stations I listen to all play U2 on a pretty consistent basis. One is an iHeart station (WHJY in Providence) who was pushing the festival specifically by pushing U2 as headliner. They play plenty of U2, but I've never heard them play either of those songs. Only song from SOI I heard on radio a few times in the release aftermath was Cedarwood Road.

every single artist on the bill either has new music recently released or is releasing new music shortly, which they promoted at the festival. that's the whole point of this festival, to promote your new music using the huge iheart radio platform at the very start of the holiday buying season.

there was, however, one exception.

Last edited:
This isn't even that strong though. First of all, the best versions of Desire feature Adam's bass way the fuck up, which this has a little of. But Bono's passion in this video comes off a little lacklustre to me. It's a long way from Fuck the Revolution.

Still, at least it's something. And more overtly political than any other huge act would probably dare to be.

What do the Trump fans in FYM think of this?

Bono has had a love affair with the Clintons since the 90s. They played at the opening of their library. They played Amaaw live to honor Chelsea's wedding. Bono gave to the Clinton Foundation. Worked with state to get the ISS feed for 360.

I think Bono is having a knee-jerk reaction to a candidate who wants to dramatically reduce the refugee flow. Opposite of Bono's worldview. Love and Peace through American benevolence is what Bono wants out of our country.

It's a combination of helping his allies and getting the spotlight on refugees.

That being said I enjoyed the performance. Bono doesn't realize that Trump is saying 'the American dream is dead' for many in the working class. I saw his video presence to demonstrate the dichotomy in viewpoints. Bono's American Dream of multiculturalism and full fledged immigration may be dead.

He did such a great bipartisan job in getting funding for Africa back in the Bush administration. He is using his political capital now making a strong statement. May lose some of it later if Trump wins.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

every single artist on the bill either has new music recently released or is releasing new music shortly, which they promoted at the festival. that's the whole point of this festival, to promote your new music using the huge iheart radio platform at the very start of the holiday buying season.

And I think it makes a huge difference that, as you mention, the other artists already have something released. If you're telling me someone else on the bill took it as a moment to say, "Surprise! We have a new album out next month and here's a brand new song to go along with it," then cool. I'm wrong, and I'll accept that. I don't really care, because seriously, U2 clearly didn't give two shits about this show, and the fact of the matter is it doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things. It really, really doesn't. It was 45 minutes and we'll go on. :shrug:

U2 clearly didn't give two shits about this show

and there's the rub. if you really truly want to be musically relevant, you can't not give two shits about a show like this.

they say they want one thing and then do the exact opposite of the things they need to do to achieve it. and i still believe that if they genuinely wanted to, they could actually get there - there is a definite vacuum in the mainstream market for rock bands right now just waiting to be filled, and u2 already has the platform to do it - which is why i'm so frustrated when they just phone in something like this.

False

Idol played nothing new.

One Republic nothing new.

Sia played material from her latest but it's been out for awhile.

So I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

billy idol - okay, but nobody's given a shit about billy idol since the 80s...

onerepublic has a new album coming out in 2 weeks, and they played the new single off it after debuting it at the apple music festival last week: OneRepublic Debuts New Song "Let's Hurt Tonight" Live

sia's album was released less than 9 months ago and the tour promoting it starts on thursday.

try google next time.

Last edited:
I watched the pilot of Queen Sugar (a new soap opera/drama on the Oprah network) last night, and it was very good. Then they pulled out Drowning Man for the last scene, which was fucking awesome.

billy idol - okay, but nobody's given a shit about billy idol since the 80s...

onerepublic has a new album coming out in 2 weeks, and they played the new single off it after debuting it at the apple music festival last week: OneRepublic Debuts New Song "Let's Hurt Tonight" Live

sia's album was released less than 9 months ago and the tour promoting it starts on thursday.

try google next time.

I did: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/onerepublic/2016/t-mobile-arena-las-vegas-nv-2bfdf4d2.html

Well, Bono said the album is coming out next year. So the band isn't going to promote what's not ready.

I'm cleaning out closets and whatnot before the big move, and found a diary from 1997. Detailed notes on the PopMart show I saw (my 2nd time seeing U2).

- I was in row 11, not in row 16 as I had remembered. Ooooh. The big time.

- I paid $160 for my ticket. In my memory it was over $200. My one and only scalped ticket I've ever bought. Totally worth it.

- My note for Pride - "cool sing along, but I think I'm kind of sick of this song."

In 1997. :lol:

In 1997 I thought songs from 1987 (minus the Joshua Tree) felt ancient. Now in 2016 ten year old albums don't seem so so long ago. Time is weird.

I still don't get the logic that the show was a favor U2 was doing for the station/conglomerate/whatever the hell iheartradio is. A favor in return for what? It's not like Every Breaking Wave or SfS lit up the airways.

This is what gets me. If U2 have to play this festival to say thanks to a conglomerate for playing their new single approximately twice, what happens the next time they have a hit? They're contractually obliged to come to everybody's house and play it for them? Shit, never mind the iPhone thing!

I'm cleaning out closets and whatnot before the big move, and found a diary from 1997. Detailed notes on the PopMart show I saw (my 2nd time seeing U2).

- I was in row 11, not in row 16 as I had remembered. Ooooh. The big time.

- I paid $160 for my ticket. In my memory it was over $200. My one and only scalped ticket I've ever bought. Totally worth it.

- My note for Pride - "cool sing along, but I think I'm kind of sick of this song."

In 1997. :lol:

Ha nice! My Popmart ticket was $50 which seemed a lot to me at the time. I remember we lost our shit when they played Pride, of course it was the first time they had played it in Salt Lake, having not been there since the War tour :sad:

This is what gets me. If U2 have to play this festival to say thanks to a conglomerate for playing their new single approximately twice, what happens the next time they have a hit? They're contractually obliged to come to everybody's house and play it for them? Shit, never mind the iPhone thing!

I think the idea of them doing it as a favor is getting blown out of proportion. I guess it wasn't the case everywhere, buy at least in this major market, SoI got a lot of radio push on stations it shouldn't have. Don't forget also that U2 played gigs for Kroq, a major clear channel station, and the general vibe was that they were working hand in hand to promote the album.

I'm sure when clear channel then said, hey, wanna headline iheartradio fest? U2 were basically like, well, we don't do festivals, but since we missed out on almost acoustic Christmas, and you gave the album love, we'll do it.

That, I think is what they meant by as a favor.

So they pissed off the Trump fucktards and the Bernie Butthurt crowd?!?!

That really is a great thing! :up:

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Why would Bono having a go at Trump annoy Sanders supporters?

Anyone else sort of see Lynn Bennfield in David's posts? He's kind of like Alan Partridge's Lynn for all things critical of U2. That's not necesarily a bad thing.. It's just... Well, it's something, I suppose.

Youre a lovely chap Dave, I hope you take no offence

Last edited:
“We’re a band from the north side of Dublin called U2,” Bono announced to the crowd of 40,000-plus listeners.

And some of those folks clearly needed that introduction.

“Who’s this?” one person asked me as the group took the stage and opened the approximately 100-minute set with “Vertigo.”
Adam Gold, who was attending the conference, said he likes a couple of U2 songs. But he’d rather listen to a band that appeals more to his generation.

“I like the Killers a lot,” said the 33-year-old Menlo Park resident. “I can sing all their songs, like, I’m sure, the people who are older than me can sing all of U2’s songs.”
U2 bashes Trump, plays the hits in Dreamforce gig

Mr. Gold will change his mind when LOTS OF HITS come out from the next record. Sometime in 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom