Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know what exactly the misdirection stuff is referring to, but it's anything to do with what I said, I'm just looking at what happened. Back in 2014, the general feeling was the album wasn't coming until 2015, and then they dropped it. Not saying that's what's happening now, just saying it's happened before. But given their history, sure, it's more likely it's a real delay.

Nor am I saying such a strategy would in any way be for diehards like us. It would be to appeal to pop kids who liked it when their favorite artists employed similar surprise release strategies(read: Beyonce).

Don't know what exactly the misdirection stuff is referring to, but it's anything to do with what I said, I'm just looking at what happened.

There was a quote on Billboard about a week before SOI dropped that there wouldn't be an album until 2015, hence the misdirection claims.

Reality is, a source - even a "band spokesperson" - who has actual connections and gives info that proves to be wrong was simply given incorrect info. Anybody who thinks U2 are actually sitting there with some sort of misdirection strategy for the two hundred or so people who follow this news closely on Interference, atU2, and Twitter is completely kidding themselves.

There was a quote on Billboard about a week before SOI dropped that there wouldn't be an album until 2015, hence the misdirection claims.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Everyone thought the album wasn't coming, and then it came. Not saying that's necessarily what's going on now, but it's what happened then. So there is a sliver of precedent, even though it's probably more likely there's a real delay this time.

Reality is, a source - even a "band spokesperson" - who has actual connections and gives info that proves to be wrong was simply given incorrect info. Anybody who thinks U2 are actually sitting there with some sort of misdirection strategy for the two hundred or so people who follow this news closely on Interference, atU2, and Twitter is completely kidding themselves.

And what did I say?

Nor am I saying such a strategy would in any way be for diehards like us. It would be to appeal to pop kids who liked it when their favorite artists employed similar surprise release strategies(read: Beyonce).

I'm not even saying that that strategy was successful in 2014(it wasn't) or that it would be now(it almost certainly wouldn't), I'm just stating that I think that was the intent.

I can't even tell what you're saying now. Are you saying that 2014 was a deliberate misdirect or not?

Because somebody who's not a diehard probably wouldn't have even seen that one little quote in an article that was not prominent.

Yes, I'm saying in 2014 they wanted it to be a surprise release.

I do not know if that is the case this time. I'd lean towards not, towards it being a plain old real delay this time, but there is some precedent given 2014.

I know it's not, but oh well.

Or they could do what Michael Jackson would do back the nineties, erect mysterious pharaonic statues of themselves in the Gobi desert or something. Really get people talking, you know.

U2 should just do what Radiohead do. Casually throw up a post saying 'it's out guys, new album.' Otherwise, shut the hell up.

I know it's not, but oh well.

Or they could do what Michael Jackson would do back the nineties, erect mysterious pharaonic statues of themselves in the Gobi desert or something. Really get people talking, you know.

I like both of these options. Mix it up a bit.

Whichever fan first deciphers the hieroglyphics on the statues gets to pick a song for the setlist.

(It is replaced after two shows by an acoustic medley of Every Breaking Wave, In a Little While, and Stand Up Comedy.)

Bono paid a visit to Charlie Rose's show on Monday. Interview was shown a few hours ago. The "important" stuff, as summed up in EYKIW:

Bono pretty much confirmed the band is rehearsing right now.
16 songs on the cooker for SOE. Want to boil it down to 10-12. "We want 10 but it will probably be 12."
"The Morning After Innocence" is now "The Little Things You Give Away."
When is the album coming out?
"Only God and The Edge know."

Will there be a tour in 2017?
"Yes."

Bono also teased a bit on the theme of SOE after Charlie directly asked about it. He at first said he shouldn't yet be talking about this, but then said that the theme was inspired by the passing of their good friend/famed Irish poet Seamus Heaney and advice another poet (Brendan Kennelly) once gave to him: "write as if you're dead."

So on this next album, a lot are written from the perspective that they're gone, the ego's gone and these songs are standing as lasting messages. He's written songs to his kids, his friends, Ali, and to himself (though initially unbeknownst) .

Last edited:
Whichever fan first deciphers the hieroglyphics on the statues gets to pick a song for the setlist.

(It is replaced after two shows by an acoustic medley of Every Breaking Wave, In a Little While, and Stand Up Comedy.)

The hieroglyphics on the fifth statue, of an alarmingly erect Tim Cook, reveal the date that U2 will overwrite your entire U2 library with 'improved' versions of their material.

Also, Bono apparently said that electing Trump would be a huge mistake. Or something along those lines.

So final sequencing is being done and maybe last minute mixing? Sounds like the album could still drop last quarter 2016 to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well, if they're touring in 2017, then that means album release would be early 2017 at the latest. :shrug:

I'm expecting something from them in March or April. It's a fairly typical release window for them (War, Joshua Tree, Pop, NLOTH) and makes sense with what we're hearing.

Oh good, we've already moved on to the "people who don't like later day U2 must be doing it to be contrarian" bullshit.

Which was the bane of my existence around the release date of SOI, especially given that I quite like the other three albums from this century. I thought it was a lame album then and my opinion really hasn't changed even if a few tracks had their reputation improved live ("Iris" and a stripped down "EBW").

But it's just been an Interference tradition for the new record to be released and practically every poster goes insane because OMG NEW U2 and because they listen to about three new albums a year. Everybody else comes into it with tempered expectations, but can await a barrage of vitriol aimed at them if they mention not liking the latest release.

Other than ATYLB, SOI is my most listened to U2 release from the past 16 years.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

HOOPS STATION

I'm ready
I'm ready for the no-look pass
I'm ready
I'm ready for "Defense!"
I'm ready to Dirk
I'm ready to Clyde
I'm ready to play like Shaq in '95
I'm ready
I'm ready for the swish
Uh huh

In the cool of the lights
I'll be raining threes
I'll be taking my talents
From the Cavs to the Heat

Two shots at the line!
Hoops Station
Got to shoot it on time!
Hoops Station

I'm ready
I'm ready for the pick and pop
I'm ready
To dunk it in your face
I'm ready to hustle
Ready for a steal
Ready for a fast break and a big shoe deal
I'm ready
It's triple double time
Uh huh

Two shots at the line!
Hoops Station
Don't brick 'em this time!
Hoops Station

It's not just a game
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the low post
Your hook shot banks right off the glass

Last edited:
Excited for this one, also their first show in about 9 months. Should be fun to watch, even if they don't play any new songs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom