Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_m0sa6iLxDx1r6wp15o4_250.gif

^I don't get it.

I had a dream last night that U2 were about to do a huge new show, with a heap of great songs in the setlist. Everyone was super thrilled. It was like U2 was back and everyone loved them all over again. Larry got so excited someone convinced him to do a crowdsurf before the gig started; but he jumped to early and the crowd members weren't aware; one of them collapsed and then panic set in as we all realised he had died. The band had to effectively go into hiding. Then I woke up. Weird.

Rattle and Hum would have been better if they left in the angry Bono parts where he kicks doors and yells at the crew.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I just listened to SOI. It's nearly two years since its release, and I still listen to it from time to time, and I still think it's great. I know there are some here for whom it's never clicked, but for me it's still clearly their best work as a whole since at least Pop. And that's not that uncommon of an opinion among U2 fans, it seems. I've seen people elsewhere saying it's their best since Zooropa, or even AB.

I wouldn't put it in the top tier(AB, JT, UF, Zooropa, Pop, in no particular order), but I'd certainly put it in the next tier(Boy, War, R&H).

I know some argue that NLOTH is better, but I can't agree. There are a handful of legitimately GREAT tracks on NLOTH(title track, MOS, Fez, Cedars) and some near-great ones(Magnificent is close to being great if the low-energy verses didn't drag it down so much, UC has some great elements mixed in with the subpar chorus lyrics), but as a whole it's uneven and not as cohesive as it could've been.

SOI works as a whole. It all covers the same subject matter, albeit from different angles, and musically, it's all from one fabric. At the end, it makes an artistic statement as one piece.

They screwed up on the singles though, for the second straight album. I love The Miracle(never understood the hate for it), but releasing SFS and acoustic EBW back-to-back as singles was dumb. I like acoustic EBW, but the single should've been full band. And California/Volcano should've been singles. Or maybe even Reach. And Crystal Ballroom should've been on the record and a single. I still think they're nuts for leaving it off.

1. The Crystal Ballroom
2. Every Breaking Wave(full)
3. The Miracle
4. SFS
5. Volcano/California
6. Reach

Or something like that.

For anyone who hasn't listened to Exit in a while, I highly recommend it. Fuck, what a song.

Exit is incredible. A holy-grail 'I wish they would play this live again' track, along with A Sort Of Homecoming, Wire, Hawkmoon 269, Lemon, Dirty Day, and pretty much all of Pop.

I love The Miracle(never understood the hate for it)

From what I can gather..

Stereotypical post-2000 clunky title
Reminds people of SOI launch / continued association with Apple
'Safe' option to use it as lead single following the not totally dissimilar spirit of Vertigo and GOYB

They haven't had a non-track 1 lead single since Zooropa. What was that quote from Edge(?) about putting all the 'hit' songs at the start of the album? Urgh..

I slowly warmed to The Miracle after listening to a bunch of live shows. The whoa-oh-ohs are of course terribly cliche but worked well to open the show / get the crowd involved. Better than 360 which didn't even have a proper opener.

Gosh, are the first 35 seconds of Until The End Of The World pure bliss or what?

The opening of Streets until the vocals kick in is so perfect, the rest of the song feels like a very slight letdown sometimes.

Haven't had a non-track 1 lead single since Zooropa? Get On Your Boots says hello.

But I agree with the general criticism; I hate when the first song I hear the first time listening to an album is something I've already heard for a month or whatever.

Also agree that Breathe was a terrible show opener, though they didn't have many options from that album.

Also agree that Breathe was a terrible show opener, though they didn't have many options from that album.

I saw both Foxboro 360 shows and they opened night 2 with Magnificent (the only time it was the opener), and it was a far superior opener than Breathe.

This is all great but where's the news on a new album?

I really think it's going to happen in September/October. All these Instragram posts about them being in the studio a month ago, hanging out with the guy who shoots photos for their album covers, etc...

Haven't had a non-track 1 lead single since Zooropa? Get On Your Boots says hello.

:uhoh: I was thinking of Nloth since Nloth 2 is on the Boots single and I'd just forgotten about Boots a little bit..

The conversion has begun. My girlfriend loves Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. She's angry, but just as I've always suspected, no one can deny the '2 forever.

Holy shit, I'm just listening to Luminous Times and Walk to the Water, these songs are fucking incredible.

And they're b-sides. How fucking criminal. They're both better than 90 per cent of everything they or any artist have ever done.

Deep in the Heart, Luminous Times, and Walk the Water are all pretty good songs from that era.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom