Shout Out Louds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia612

Refugee
http://www.shoutoutlouds.com/

Anybody heard of this band? They were on both Letterman & Leno last night (I think the Late Show was a rerun, but the Tonight Show was live) and it was my first exposure to them (aside from them being featured on allmusic.com). They're not bad! They are a Swedish group of four boys and one girl, as they say, and though they are pop they aren't irritatingly so. I like them quite a bit. And their English is absolutely charming. You can hear full (streaming) versions of some songs from their first LP, Howl Howl Gaff Gaff on the site.

Not so sure if I'm wild about the music, but their bio page is cute!

These guys were added to the Liars/Interpol show here as the openers for the openers. I personally was blown away by their live sound, and the entire crowd seemed to love them as well. After their set, a friend and I looked at each other and essentially at the same time said, "Guess I'm going to have to buy their CDs now!"

As alia said 2 years ago, they're from Sweden. Awesomely, "Bjorn" of Peter Bjorn and John is a friend and produced some of the tracks on their first album and all of their most recent album. I'd almost dare say that if you're a fan of PB&J (the band, not the sandwich), you'd likely enjoy these guys as well, as they're similar but still definitely have their own sound. I picked up one of the albums last night at the show and the other tonight. The little I've listened to from each has been quite enjoyable. I'd say it was worth it for 'The Comeback' from the first one and 'Impossible' from the new one alone.

Why is music from Scandinavia so good?

Last edited:
God damn, these guys are great :up:
Awesome album cover, too.

shoutoutloudsft8.jpg

Thank god something good has come out of Sweden recently, since Victoria Bergman isn't holding up her end of the bargain very well with her first solo release. :tsk:

I just downloaded their album. LOVE it. I don't know why Shawn called them emo though :huh:

So after seeing a number of reviews, I just realized that they released a new album yesterday. It was originally planned for March 9th (which will still be an epic day for new releases), so I'd been assuming the reviews were just early. Just ordered it from Amazon.

Despite the fact that I haven't heard more than a few songs, and thus can't comment on the album as a whole myself, I would once again like to show that the hypers of hype's review essentially describes a complete different album than what the rest of the music community seems to have heard. Please compare and contrast the following review summaries for yourself:

On the whole, then, Work is a more subtle, subdued album than Shout Out Louds’ previous LPs. It is also a far more consistent one, capturing the band maturing artistically. The real achievement here, though, is that Shout Out Louds have constructed an album with a distinct sound and identity—finally establishing that elusive “Shout Out Louds sound”. 8 / 10

Taken as a whole, Work is just as engaging and powerful as their previous output and demonstrates no drop-off in quality at all. It takes a special group to be able to change its sound every time out and still keep its core competencies intact. Work proves that Shout Out Louds are exactly that. 4 / 5

For the 21st century's "creative class" of young professionals, Work raises bigger questions, ones that very few-- Warhol, Reed, and Cale, I hope, among them-- have ever been able to answer successfully. Questions like: When does making a living with your art require such inoffensiveness that it's no longer art? And: At what point does getting by mean being untrue to yourself? Thankfully, Shout Out Louds aren't there yet. But they're closer than they were three years ago. "I play the game," Olenius confides. "Are you the same?" Work, as the TV dads say, is work. 5.4 / 10

Guess which site the last review came from! :happy: Yes, that is seriously how they summarize an album review.

I've heard the leak of the new album and is lovely, swedish pop at its best

The review I read the other day had me a little concerned about how different their sound is now. Didn't realize the album had come out! I've been waiting all year for this one, will have to listen to it when I'm feeling a little better.

Well, I can finally weigh in with my own thoughts. I think it's the best overall album in regards to consistency. It might not have a single I like as much as the best songs on the previous albums, but the overall quality and consistency is soooo much better. I really like it, glad I trusted the positive reviews and just bought it, definitely worth the money. It could easily end up being my favorite album of theirs with more spins.

On a side note, I saw that Phil Ek produced this when I looked at the back cover of the CD. I think that guy may be right up at the top of the list when it comes to my favorite producers, I seem to love most everything he's worked on.

The first page of this thread is terrible.

Good band, but the new song sounds nothing like them. I'll have to adjust. How fucking good was Fall Hard off the last one?

These guys were added to the Liars/Interpol show here as the openers for the openers.

5+ years ago, but this was probably one of the best overall start to finish concerts I've ever been to. I can still remember it quite well. All three bands were so "on" that night. Shout Out Louds even covered Train In Vain for a couple minutes.

Back
Top Bottom