Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Facebook:

Today is the first day of recording our 2nd new LP (this year) in Austin; still buzzing from Sub Pop's Silver Jubilee on Saturday. Quite a week. (JM)

1150802_10151621131763173_791568210_n.jpg

1. Our Only Sun
[Jesca Hoop, from "Deeper Devastation"]
2. I Luv the Valley OH!! [Xiu Xiu]
3. Hurts Like Heaven [Coldplay]
4. To Be of Use [Smog]
5. Natural One [Folk Implosion]
6. Ambiguity [David Thomas Broughton]
7. Cheerleader [St. Vincent]
8. Tomorrow [Clinic]
9. A Wake for the Minotaur
[ft. Sharon Van Etten]
10. Mary Is Mary [Wye Oak]
11. Fucked Up Life
[The Baptist Generals]

A Xiu Xiu cover from it is here:
Shearwater - "I Luv the Valley OH!!" by SubPop on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

!!!!!!'

That was really awesome. Doubted it initially when the vocals came in because it seemed almost like he was going for direct imitation, and that usually makes for weaksauce. But no, that was cool.

Fellow Travelers is on its way, arriving November 26, 2013. Tomorrow the excellent UK-based music site The Quietus will premiere the second single, our version of the The Baptist Generals' "Fucked Up Life". It's my favorite of their many excellent songs, and it closes the record. I used to see them perform it in Austin years ago, and it moved me every time. This version features musical contributions from Clinic, our favorite Liverpudlian four-piece, whose song "Tomorrow" also appears on the album. (You'll know them when you hear them.)

Since you're receiving this newsletter, you can download it free right now: just use the code 8UZTUR at our download page.

:up:

I wish I had an interest in this outside of the xiu xiu cover. I'm sure it's cool, but that's the only song I really care about on it.

That's a strange double post. Didn't go through the first time and then randomly showed up three hours later.

Anyway, my initial reaction is positive. They struck the right balance for a covers album. The songs are recognizable but they still sound like Shearwater.

1. Our Only Sun
[Jesca Hoop, from "Deeper Devastation"]
3. Hurts Like Heaven [Coldplay]
4. To Be of Use [Smog]
5. Natural One [Folk Implosion]
6. Ambiguity [David Thomas Broughton]
7. Cheerleader [St. Vincent]
8. Tomorrow [Clinic]
9. A Wake for the Minotaur
[ft. Sharon Van Etten]
10. Mary Is Mary [Wye Oak]
11. Fucked Up Life
[The Baptist Generals]

Wonder why "To Be Of Use" was removed from the tracklist?

It didn't make it as one of the "unused bonus tracks" either. Wonder if they had problems with getting the rights to it.

Why they didn't include the Mountain Goats' 'This Year' on the actual album, I don't know. Easily one of my top favorites of all the covers.

I haven't seen them in a damn long time. May need to hit up that ND show if I can.

If anyone goes to one of those shows and wants to pick up a copy of Missing Islands for me, I would like that.

Back
Top Bottom