Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger, Cardinology, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm liking it more and more with each listen. I haven't really focused on the lyrics yet but I know that last night I just enjoyed having it on in the background while I was doing other things. In fact, I had Ryan Adams going on iTunes all night just listening to his whole catalog. Cold Roses is by far my favorite (unbelievable that out of a 2-disc record I like every single song) but even mediocre Ryan Adams is pretty damn good.

Bonochick said:
I LOVE Sam's Town. Makes me feel like a freak. :|

I love that album too. Took me a while, but one day, I was like "This is brilliant!" :love:

joyfulgirl said:
I'm liking it more and more with each listen. I haven't really focused on the lyrics yet but I know that last night I just enjoyed having it on in the background while I was doing other things. In fact, I had Ryan Adams going on iTunes all night just listening to his whole catalog. Cold Roses is by far my favorite (unbelievable that out of a 2-disc record I like every single song) but even mediocre Ryan Adams is pretty damn good.

I've been putting his whole catalog on shuffle lately too. Cold Roses is still my favorite as well, but truly, I love all his stuff. Even Rock N Roll. :heart:

Last edited:
I'm finally listening to it for the first time, and so far I'm really pleased.

I've never been one to focus too much on the lyrics, though. I mainly like songs that I like based on their overall feel and sound.

After reading these reviews, I am really on the fence about purchasing this. I really enjoyed Love Is Hell; is anyone able to tell me how it compares to that album?

I've got to admit that near the end of my first listen to Easy Tiger, I'm bored. It's not a bad album, but none of the songs are really standing out to me. It feels like background music. The choruses to many of the songs repeat quite a bit, and the verses aren't as strong lyrically as I'd hoped. This was one of my most-awaited albums of the year, and for the most part I'm disappointed. I think the songwriting on Heartbreaker and even Gold was much better, and while I didn't think Demolition or Rock N Roll were as strong, both of them had some great songs. I'm up to Two Hearts and haven't found a song I'd call great yet.

:(

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I've got to admit that near the end of my first listen to Easy Tiger, I'm bored. It's not a bad album, but none of the songs are really standing out to me. It feels like background music. The choruses to many of the songs repeat quite a bit, and the verses aren't as strong lyrically as I'd hoped. This was one of my most-awaited albums of the year, and for the most part I'm disappointed. I think the songwriting on Heartbreaker and even Gold was much better, and while I didn't think Demolition or Rock N Roll were as strong, both of them had some great songs. I'm up to Two Hearts and haven't found a song I'd call great yet.

:(

I like it more on repeated listenings but I agree with you that there's nothing truly great here. Enjoyable, but not great. Not his best songwriting for sure. Can't say I'm disappointed since I didn't have the same expectations others seemed to.

cdisantis83 said:
After reading these reviews, I am really on the fence about purchasing this. I really enjoyed Love Is Hell; is anyone able to tell me how it compares to that album?

Easy Tiger is more country/country rock. In general I prefer his countryish stuff since I just think that's what he does best but in this case I like Love is Hell a lot better than Easy Tiger.

From Billboard:

Singer/songwriter Ryan Adams scores his highest position ever on The Billboard 200 this week with "Easy Tiger," which debuted at No. 7 with 61,000. The Lost Highway set trumps the artist's prior high-water mark of No. 26 with 2005's "Cold Roses".

The marketing has been pretty head spinning. There have been a lot of people buying multiple copies because of the freebies. Best Buy and Starbucks each had a different bonus track, and some indie stores had either a DVD or a lithograph, and some had both. There are also lots of people who snapped up the vinyl as well. If you pre-ordered from Ryan's site, you got stuff as well. Between all of that and the people who pre-ordered on iTunes to get THOSE bonuses (getting "Two" early and getting Ticketmaster pre-sale codes for fall shows), there are people who have bought the same album five or six times. :huh: I just got it at Best Buy. There are no indie stores by me anymore, and I think Starbucks was selling it for $6 more than at Best Buy. I prefer buying the physical CD to downloading, and I don't pre-order things I should have no trouble getting.

For those who are disappointed on the first few listens, I strongly recommend you keep giving it more listens. I think this album is a real grower, and the songs are starting to emerge for me. Lots of beauty on this album, you just have to wait for it. :heart:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

LIH is probably my fave, but Easy Tiger is more like a combo of Jacksonville and Cold Roses...
I find Cold Roses to have more songs that stick with me, personally my favourite album (i'll discount the, borrowed, elements :wink: ). I mean Sweet Illusions, When Will You Come Back Home, Friends etc. tip top stuff.

I have the Easy Tiger vinyl in the mail but i'm liking what I hear on my Mp3 player.

Two Hearts :up:

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
I find Cold Roses to have more songs that stick with me, personally my favourite album (i'll discount the, borrowed, elements :wink: ). I mean Sweet Illusions, When Will You Come Back Home, Friends etc. tip top stuff.

I have the Easy Tiger vinyl in the mail but i'm liking what I hear on my Mp3 player.

Two Hearts :up:

Oh CR is probably my 2nd fave, and you are right Ryan is one of the few artist that can get away with wearing his influences on his sleeve...

On the sleeve :wink:

256092.jpg

081227479428.jpg

Archive.org has some great concert recordings of his including those of the past couple weeks.

The show in Charlottesville, VA got cancelled last night. Ryan's plane got stuck on the runway at LaGuardia. People didn't find out until they got to the venue. :(

Starr Hill: Ryan Adams & The Cardinals

This show was postponed due to a weather-related travel delay that prevented Ryan Adams from coming to Charlottesville.

The show will be rescheduled.

Starr Hill Presents will announce a new date announced soon, and that information will be posted on this page.

All existing tickets for this performance will be valid for the new date.

Starr Hill Presents and The Paramount apologize for this unforseen inconvenience to ticketholders.

Storm postpones Ryan Adams show

A storm along the east coast kept Charlottesvillians from seeing Ryan Adams at the Paramount Theater yesterday evening. According to promoter Starr Hill Presents, the weather grounded Adams’ flight from LaGuardia Airport on the tarmac for over five hours and the singer-songwriter didn’t get off the ground until 9pm, landing at Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport at around 10:30pm– three hours after his management and Starr Hill had called off the show.

“We didn’t think it was fair to keep everyone waiting when we didn’t know if he was going to make it,” says Starr Hill’s Kirby Hutto.

The Paramount has already announced plans to reschedule the show, and Hutto says he hopes to announce the new date later today, which he says will likely be in September. All tickets sold to last night’s show will be honored, and those fans who will be unable to attend the rescheduled concert can receive refunds.

The Paramount gig was to have been Adams’ first after a 10-day break from the road, and the alt-country star was set to touch down in Charlottesville Monday night, along with his road crew and his touring band the Cardinals, who arrived by bus. However, Adams’ travel plans changed when a meeting with members of the New York media got moved to Tuesday morning, putting him at the mercy of the Federal Aviation Administration and unrelenting winds.

“In hindsight, we should have driven him down in a limo,” says Hutto. “It would have gotten him here in the time he spent on the runway.”

Until recently, Adams had a history of cutting shows short or skipping them completely, which he has recently admitted was due in part to addictions to cocaine and heroin. The most infamous of these instances was a 2002 show in Nashville when Adams left the stage and refused to return after a fan shouted out a request for “Summer of ‘69,” a song made famous by Canadian pop-rocker Bryan Adams. Hutto dismisses any idea that the Charlottesville postponement is a sign that Adams has backslid.

“He’s not drinking; he’s not into drugs; his sobriety is still good,” he says. “This was all out of his control.”

Tonight, Adams is scheduled to play in Louisville, Kentucky, where officials at the Brown Theatre report the show is still a go.

Any word on when we'll get a tour proper? That whole iTunes/ticketmaster thing has to come to fruition sometime.

For the iTunes pre-order, people were supposed to get their pre-sale codes from Ticketmaster back on the 9th, but it doesn't sound like people have. :rolleyes:

Hey Ryan, you have a new album and new tour...

Let's update your website, you used to have one of the coolest websites eva, what happened?

Back
Top Bottom