Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger, Cardinology, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Easy Tiger is actually one of my favorite albums from him, it's one of his most cohesive. The same is not true for Cardinology, which does come off as more marketable left-overs than III/IV which it supplanted.

I've always thought Ryan Adams was an alright rock act, but a fantastic alt-country singer, which is unfortunately what he's been moving away from in these previous years.

I hated Cardinology (Easy Tiger was okay), but these clips sound like Cardinology with decent melodies, so I'll check it out.

Still, I'm waiting on the "spare piano, bass, drum, and guitar" album he's been writing. That being said, Ryan is similar to Bono in terms of hyperbole and things that don't come true, so we'll see what happens.

Ryan Adams writes a lot but has been held back on releasing things by his past erratic lifestyle, and also his label's commercial concerns, I think now that he's on the straight-and-narrow and releasing his work on his own label things might bena little more easy-coming.

I too am excited by the prospect of a new album, but I'll certainly take the release of a previously shelved project in the mean time. :hyper:

I'm more interested in hearing the "completed" version of The Suicide Handbook, which apparently includes a lot of parts that are missing from the bootlegged version.

String section on Miss Sunflower? :drool::drool::drool:

Has he said anything about releasing Suicide Handbook recently? I hadn't noticed. At this point I'd be shocked if it saw the legit light of day.

Eh, he said something two years back about a box set that would include a completed Suicide Handbooks as well as Darkbreaker and Blackhole and whatnot. I'd be shocked if it ever sees the light of day.

Ah yes, that box set was promised a number of times prior to that as well, maybe someday if he's feeling nostalgic, otherwise I'd say we have to content ourselves with the bootleg.

After listening to the album, I give it a B. It's fun and rocky. Far from Ryan's best work, but I thought Cardinology was dreadful and Easy Tiger was uneven, so I'm happy to say that this album sits pretty well with me.

It's like a sister album to "Rock N' Roll", which I always liked. Still hoping for some more Heartbreaker/Gold/Cold Roses/JCN stuff out of this guy though.

After listening to the album, I give it a B. It's fun and rocky. Far from Ryan's best work, but I thought Cardinology was dreadful and Easy Tiger was uneven, so I'm happy to say that this album sits pretty well with me.

It's like a sister album to "Rock N' Roll", which I always liked. Still hoping for some more Heartbreaker/Gold/Cold Roses/JCN stuff out of this guy though.

I've only given in one real listen, but I think Rock n Roll and Cardinology rank higher... It's a fun album, but I don't see me giving it more than a few listens. But I'm not discouraged given the fact that it was a "shelved album".

So far the only standout track is Darkness which was a mailing list bonus song.

Agree with you about Rock N' Roll. It's always been one of my favorite Ryan Adams albums because it sounded so different to anything he'd ever done and his U2/80s vibe really worked for me.

Couldn't get into Cardinology though, with the exception of "Fix It", "Magick" and "Crossed Out Name".

I barely liked the new album at all after the first listen, there was only one song I felt compelled to immediately listen to again right away. I've been giving it additional chances though, and I'm still not completely loving it, but I'm warming up to it a little more. I'm kind of bummed out, it's weird to feel so little excitement about a new Ryan release.

I quite liked it the first time I listened to it, but I wasn't paying attention to the track titles, so I can't give my standouts until I get a chance to hear it again, soon.

That said, though, it's kind of like a bonus or teaser until we get the new material he's been working on, super excited for that.

What the hell, I'm on board.

I'm still pissed at him for not manning up and releasing Orion to the buying public. So not Rock N' Roll.

III/IV was 4 year old leftovers, this is fresh material, be excited!

Yeah, I'm pretty eager to hear this. III/IV has grown on me a bit more, but I don't think it will ever be something I'd recommend to anyone as a whole. This new release is sounding a lot more promising though!

Back
Top Bottom