Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger, Cardinology, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RIP, Spacewolf. :sad: This is so tremendously sad and unbelievable.

Jambands.com - Need We Say More? > News > Ryan Adams & the Cardinals Bassist Chris Feinstein Passes Away

Bassist Chris Feinstein has passed away. While details remain scant, it is believed he passed away at his Manhattan home in the early hours of Monday morning. He was 42.

Feinstein was most recently known for his role in Ryan Adams & The Cardinals which he joined in 2006, replacing original bassist Catherine Popper. As a member of the Cardinals, Feinstein appeared on Adams’ releases Easy Tiger, Follow the Lights and Cardinology. It was Adams who dubbed Feinstein “Space Wolf.”

Feinstein and longtime Adams’ drummer Brad Pemberton had played in bands together since attending high school in Nashville. However, according to a blog of Adams’ from August 2008, “Catherine introduced me to Space Wolf and that is the kind gal she is.”

Adams went on: “It’s amazing to play with Space Wolf now—and you know, feel the connections and how they line up so strangely horizontal and low—he hangs below Brad in this fog—this deep, deep fog and then BLAST… his school is so outer-space/Hawkwind-Geezer Butler-Lemmy-K. Gordon.”

Cardinals guitarist Neal Casal, in an interview for a Relix December/January 2009 cover story on the band, felt that “Once we got Chris it really just solidified [the band]. It really just became the perfect lineup.” Casal said that part of the reason Feinstein was an ideal fit was that he didn’t find Adams’ live performances intimidating.

“[Adams] will pull out songs you’ve never even heard, live, in front of a large audience of people and you have to go with it and play that song in the moment as it’s happening and take that chance,” Casal relayed. “The wrong kind of person would become completely unglued in that kind of situation. I’m cool with it, I actually enjoy it. Jon and Brad were there before me, they’re used to it, and they’re up for that challenge. Feinstein, he said, was perfect “because he’s up for that, too.”

A key part of the Cardinals’ live show, Feinstein also sang backup vocals and frequently bantered onstage with Adams, who regularly sang “Happy Birthday” to the bassist as party of his stage shtick. Adams left the Cardinals earlier this year. The remaining members of the Cardinals—minus Feinstein—recently completed a tour with New Zealand singer Gin Wigmore. The members of the Cardinals, including Feinstein, appear on Wigmore’s recent album Holy Smoke.

Before joining the Cardinals Feinstein recorded with Jack Ingram and Strokes guitarist Albert Hammond Jr., among others. He also appears on and served as a producer on the I am Sam soundtrack.

Not a good year for the Cardinals. I was hoping this was bumped for good news :(. RIP Space Wolf.

Good news everyone!! It seems the hiatus is over for more than just weird metal side-jokes, according to Ryan's Facebook page he's back recording material, and finished up some of his unreleased albums from the past couple years. Who knows if we'll ever get them released, but it's exciting nonetheless!! It would be quite interesting to hear what kind of music happy Ryan Adams makes. :hyper:

I'm hoping that the upcoming releases aren't going to be vinyl only though. I spend too much money on music as it is, so I don't even get involved with vinyl. I know that the vinyl has been coming with download cards, but I don't want to pay for a vinyl release just to score downloads.

Okay, now that I am done complaining...:lol:

I am excited about the direction he seems to be heading back in. :hyper: I guess I shouldn't be too excited though because...well, you know. I guess I am cautiously optimistic. :wink:

What the hell? Why didn't he tour Astrometal Space Fuck or whatever that last one was called? The tiger has easied.

It was called Orion. Personally, I'm glad he's creating more music instead of touring that jokey side project.

This just in from Ryan's Facebook: "Tomorrow starts the first day of two weeks of recording part one of a new solo album. This is the one I have been working on that is so far written on my old acoustic and I plan to keep these recordings simple...I am dubbing this the "west coast"sessions...THEN in two weeks I am off to NYC to record part two of the crazy NYC sessions which started as a "Cold Roses evil twin" minus the noodling vibe but now sound like some weird extension of Love is Hell. Where there was excessive jamming ( which I was shit at ) there are now cool chord passages and feedback and neat rhodes organ fills. Exciting times! Fingers crossed it all works."

Sweet, sweet confirmation.

From the man himself:

"UPDATE; I've been working on a second batch of tunes. both sessions ( NYC and LA ) sound super cool but I feel like there is even more. still working... I imagine the new solo LP will be ready next year.
To anyone asking about III/IV and Blackhole- they are almost out of the oven. You will have a chance to get them this Fall. There wi...ll not be staggered pressings. Digital AND vinyl AND c.d...same way you get the rest of your music from bands... not limited copies... Pax Am is working with a rad distribution company and everyone will be taken care of. I'm happy. Now back to work...
Much Love, the DRA"

:applaud: :hyper: :dance:!! :crack:

3 albums in the can, that he is willing to release, and a fresh vein of new songs being written/recorded as we speak, chances are there will be plenty of not sucky material.

I'm excited that it will be released on CD, since that is still my preferred format (yeah, yeah, I know).

III/IV is coming!!!!

News | PAX•AM

I'm looking forward to it, and hopefully he releases the album he was writing this summer, you never know if his sessions will see the light of day (officially that is).

I wonder what this release means about the status of the Cardinals?

Good news. I especially liked Cold Roses, which eerily resembled classic rock I listened to in high school. Maybe these will eerily resemble something else...

RA_4_Cvr_5-500x500.jpg

0116eb6709a0ea0f63704110.L.jpg

Interesting comparison, but I would be pretty shocked if Ryan Adams' music ever resembled Doves... even with all his diversity.

Well some of my excitement died...

Definately closer in the vein to the faster stuff off Easy Tiger and Cardinology, which is fine but I guess I was expecting something closer to Cold Roses.

So now I'm just back to normal Ryan Adams excitement and not off the charts Ryan excitement.

It's hard to tell much more about the thematic material beyond what Ryan's already said, but it seems sound-wise that things are shaping up for us to get Ryan's first great rock album!

:hyper:
:hyper::hyper:
:hyper::hyper::hyper:

It doesn't remind me of either of those Cardinals albums BVS, which is why it excites me. I love Cold Roses and love a number of Cardinology tracks, but I'd hate to see a rehash (not that he could really rehash Cardinology since this was recorded before that album).

I really like ET and Cardinology but they are probably my two least favorite Ryan albums, which even his lower tier I find better than a lot of the shit that's out there.

I think I mistakingly read that these two albums started during the CR sessions or were left overs or something and that's why I got in that mindset.

Still very excited.

Back
Top Bottom