Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger, Cardinology, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Obviously in terms of impact and impressive writing from the same time period Love is Hell is much better (but also suffers from the overlong syndrome like Gold) but Rock N Roll is a lot of fun, and I don't think it was supposed to be anything profound, I mean look at the title.

As for Rock n Roll, I love "Burning Photographs" and "So Alive" even if they aren't artistic triumphs, they album is an awesome driving CD.

Love is Hell is a different kind of awesome driving CD...late at night on the wide open desert highway. I've done it. :up:

I was waiting until the CD came out, but "Fix It" came on the radio today, and I just couldn't bring myself to change the station. I like it. It wasn't something that made me go wow and be in total awe...but I dig it. I'm looking forward to checking out the whole album. :hyper:

Love is Hell is a different kind of awesome driving CD...late at night on the wide open desert highway. I've done it. :up:

I listen to it driving late at night as well, its beautiful, but could probably send me to sleep... dangerous.

After a few listens, I'm really enjoying it. The thing that bugs me is that the first four tracks all seem to end so suddenly, and they're probably four of my favorite songs on the album. But still, quality material all around, one of the more consistent in a while.

On another note - do you folks consider Easy Tiger a Cardinals record even though its titled to Ryan solo?

Magick is so damn bad, I can barely describe it.

Otherwise, I'm liking this so far. Perhaps more than the consistently enjoyable but middle-of-the-road Easy Tiger.

Magick is so damn bad, I can barely describe it.

oy, that's one of my favourite songs! :grumpy:

I love the "goes around, comes around" line and any song that contains lyrics about nuclear strikes and zombies is ok with me :up:

Sink Ships is the one that doesn't sit well with me for some reason, the lyrics aren’t very good...

Rolling Stone gave it 4 out of 5 btw, they're calling it a "Classic Rock Masterpiece":

Cardinology : Ryan Adams : Review : Rolling Stone

The thing that bugs me is that the first four tracks all seem to end so suddenly

I was thinking the same thing. There have been times where I'm really starting to get into the song and then...done. :huh: :(

On another note - do you folks consider Easy Tiger a Cardinals record even though its titled to Ryan solo?

After hearing Cardinology, it sure seems like it. It's like Easy Tiger 2.0. It even has its own "Halloweenhead" in "Magick"...which, by the way, I am strangely addicted to.

I'm one of the people who liked Easy Tiger though, so I'm not complaining by that statement, for the record. However, I also have the same feeling that it's not an album that is overwhelming me with sheer awesomeness...but I do enjoy it, and there are particular moments that will grab me.

After hearing Cardinology, it sure seems like it. It's like Easy Tiger 2.0. It even has its own "Halloweenhead" in "Magick"...which, by the way, I am strangely addicted to.

I'm one of the people who liked Easy Tiger though, so I'm not complaining by that statement, for the record. However, I also have the same feeling that it's not an album that is overwhelming me with sheer awesomeness...but I do enjoy it, and there are particular moments that will grab me.

It is and it isn't Easy Tiger 2.0. I think the twang of ET (which I ever-so-slightly prefer) makes them at least somewhat different. Sort of the bridge between Cold Roses and Cardinology. Which makes sense with the chronology I guess. Jacksonville City Nights occupies its own space, but in terms of preference, it's tied for me with Heartbreaker as second to Cold Roses.

I am also strangely addicted to "Magick." I also enjoy the album without being completely in love with it. I think the real problem is sequencing. All of the remotely uptempo tracks are done by the half-way mark, and then the rest sort of merge into an indistinct drone. There are good songs there, but they need some pacing breaks.

And "Let Us Down Easy" is my favorite song on the album.

Just wanted to spread some love for Natural Ghost in this thread. :heart:

And I agree that Magick is Halloweenhead. Version 2.0. Or played backwards. Or somesuch. I still like it, though, and I'm enjoying the whole record a lot. :up: I miss the longer songs of Cold Roses, though.

celebrity-pictures-harry-potter.jpg

:lol:

I'm enjoying it, too. It's certainly not his best, but I think some people are being too tough on it. It will definitely make my year-end top 10. The new songs are even better live, too. I'm hopeful they'll tour on their own at the start of the new year, especially since they have a few dates to make up.

How does it compare with Easy Tiger? I liked ET okay although I never seem to reach for it and didn't like it as much as everyone else seemed to. My favorite is Cold Roses. I'm wondering if I should pick this up for my Thanksgiving road trip.

the more I listen to it the more it is growing on me... I can't get over the critical response though, almost every review I read says it's one of his best :scratch:

I don't get it either. I mean, I like the album, but I'm not going nuts over it and hailing it as one if his (oops, sorry, their) finest works. :shrug:

Oh, Ryan.

~~~~~~

Ryan Adams has announced he is leaving The Cardinals, the band he formed and has fronted since 2004.

Writing in a lengthy blog on Cardinology.com, Adams said that he will quit the band at the end of their current tour, which ends in Atlanta on March 20.

"Atlanta will be my last venture with the band," he wrote. "I am grateful for the time we have had and maybe someday we will have more stories to tell together. I am, however, ready for quieter times."

Adams hinted that he would be taking a step back from music altogether, saying that he has "a whole lot of living and learning to do" instead.

"Maybe we will play again sometime and maybe I will work my way back into some kind of music situation but this is the time for me to step back now," he wrote.

In their early days, The Cardinals also featured JP Bowerstock - the so-called 'guru' who taught The Strokes' Julian Casablancas, Nick Valensi and Albert Hammond Jnr to play the guitar.

The Cardinals officially released three albums together, although they also often played on Ryan Adams solo material, as well as 'Songbird', the 2006 album by by Willie Nelson, for which Adams was producer.

The band were handpicked by Noel Gallagher to support Oasis on their recent North American tour.

Writing on his blog, Adams dismissed the touring lifestyle as "soul destroying".

He wrote: "This is not much of a life; not glamorous like those ridiculous videos a long time ago television played. And no, it is not monetarily as rewarding as people would like you to believe. And yes, it is soul destroying. Especially when you spend your life trying to write about the really difficult stuff and you stand there losing your way and people yell at you like you were in a circus. When it was your dream to matter and you realise one day, it never mattered - I mean, I am a punchline and a footnote."

Adams is now set to release a book, called 'Infinity Blues', on April 1.

He has called the publication "the jewel of my life's work". "

I enjoy his music quite a bit, not sure I could ever get to like him as a person...it seems he really doesn't get much enjoyment from life at all.

Back
Top Bottom