Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger, Cardinology, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my gosh, they played an electric "Why Do They Leave" last night! :drool: They also played "Freebird". The setlist looks amazing, I'm jealous!

So, sorry, more questions:

Ryan and the Cardinals play "2 sets" but it's usually more like a main set and an encore?

Is there an opening act?

What time does the show actually start?

It turns out my show is GA on the main floor, so that should be interesting.

The number of sets/encores seems like it has been varying a bit, it's hard to say.

I think Minneapolis was the only date that had an opening act.

The shows I went to started about a half hour after the time on the ticket.

Hope that helps. :D

The Dallas show last night sounds like it was incredible!! Holy moly..."Wonderwall"..."Come Pick Me Up" & "Oh My Sweet Carolina" with harmonica...:drool:

And check out this pic...

RyanTexas10-19-07.jpg

Someone posted it in the Dallas thread at Ryan Adams Archive, it was from the show.

Also from RAA...the setlist:

On at 8:45

1. - Peaceful Valley
2. - I See Monsters
3. - Beautiful Sorta
4. - Goodnight Rose
5. - Off Broadway
6. - Combat Chicken Imrprov
7. - Rescue Blues
8. - Cold Roses
9. - Please Do Not Let Me Go
10. - Games
11. - Shakedown on 9th St >
12. - Bartering Lines
13. - Wild Flowers
14. - A Kiss Before I Go

Set Break at 10:15

15. - Mockingbird
16. - Two
17. - Nightbirds
18. - The Sun Also Sets
19. - Goodnight Hollywood Blvd.
20. - Graboff Joke and Happy Birthday Spacewolf
21. - Stars Go Blue
22. - Why Do They Leave
23. - Wonderwall

Encore (pre-announced) 11:15

24. - Let It Ride
25. - Come Pick Me Up (with harmonica)
26. - Oh My Sweet Carolina (with harmonica)

Off at 11:35

I'll be picking up a copy tomorrow. :hyper:

Best Buy is gonna have it for $4.99. They're pretty much my best music shopping option around here.

After a couple listens, it's a strong EP. I like the new songs and all, but the greatest stuff is the older songs. I love this version of If I Am A Stranger and This Is It sounds completely different. There's also the singularly haunting version of Dear John and the Down In A Hole cover doesn't suck at all, which is amazing considering the band that wrote the song is awful.

Follow the Lights EP >>> Easy Tiger

I likes it.

Blue Hotel is a pretty wonderful song, but after listening to the EP a few times, I definitely think the real gems on here are the new versions of "This Is It" and "If I Am A Stranger." They're both tremendous versions and I'm very pleased with the EP as a result.

Way to get me back on board, Ryan.

glad to hear a good review
it's not doing so well at the ryan boards

what's the new version of This Is It,
is it the acoustic one they've been doing on this tour?
i hope so, it was beautiful and kick ass all at once.
...same with let it ride..
now that i think about it, i'm guessing
blue hotel will have the falsettos
and dear john will have neal casal's harmonies
which means they will be recorded like they were played live..

Last edited:
I bought mine today. Despite the fact it is not supposed to be released until tomorrow.

Haven't had a chance to get through it all because of a few other purchases though.

:uhoh:

All right, I got my copy and was able to get through the first 4 songs. Thoughts so far:

1. "Follow The Lights" - I wasn't blown away by it, but as the song went on, it really got to me. It's nothing to go screaming praises about, but it's a tears in the eyes, half smile kind of song.

2. "My Love For You Is Real" - I've heard this song before, but it's nice to have a clean, official version. Like FTL, it's a pleasant sounding song, but it's still nothing that I think is fantastically superb.

3. "Blue Hotel" - After hearing what I still considered to be two good songs, this song is just absolutely fantastic...impressive. I had previously only heard this song once, back in June at the Detroit show. I loved it then, and I love it now.

4. "Down In A Hole" - Another impressive track, fabulous cover. I hadn't listened to any of the live versions that have been done yet, I'd just heard how awesome it was. I wasn't disappointed.

More on the remaining songs later, of course. :D

1. Follow The Lights - Sweet song..not as in "badass", but rather somewhat "sugar and honey" kind of way. Not bad, it had be tapping my fingers driving in a burning city raining with ash. Somewhat of a lullaby, Neil Young style

2. My Love For You Is Real - Why? This is a pile of 'meh', it went nowhere and probably the only time I have ever been bored by his music.

3. Blue Hotel - One of my favorite live songs. The music is moving and Ryan's voice is a perfect match for such an amazing piece. Not as good as it was live but damn close.

4. Down in a Hole - I was pretty impressed with this version, I enjoyed it much more than the live versions I've heard. Chilling song, cuts like a knife and completely kicks the original's ass black and blue. (Sorry for any AIC fans)

5. This is It - Glad to have a studio acoustic version , spectacular song when brought to new light.

6. If I Am A Stranger - Great vocal delivery, I love the way his voice wraps around the words.

7. Dear John - After seeing this song live it was like being hit with a sledgehammer at how amazing it was and how I had completely underestimated it. Ever since I had been trying to get into the JCN version but it never did much for me. So...basically..I'm just happy to have a good version of it. Neal Casal has been quite the nice addition to the band, guitar and voice-wise.
'

Okay, the last three tracks.

First, I think it's cool to get another version of "This Is It", and it's also another reason that I refuse to write off Rock N Roll as a total joke album, despite what Ryan says. This is the third time this song has made an official appearance. Besides the original version on RNR, Ryan also did a subdued solo acoustic version on one of the "Wonderwall" singles, which really made me appreciate the song. Having a Cardinals version now too is awesome.

Speaking of third versions...this is also the third version of "If I Am A Stranger" that has been officially released. In 2004, a delicate, bare bones version was released on 7" vinyl with "Now That You're Gone", and then there was the fuller, country-tinged album version on Cold Roses in 2005. I love how he keeps working with his songs and bringing new life to them, this is another great version to add to the mix. I also think it's amazing that he still spends time like that with his old songs, when he obviously comes up with so much new stuff as well.

I am SO glad to have this version of "Dear John". I confess, I skipped that song a lot when I'd listen to Jacksonville City Nights, and I don't really like Norah Jones, so that didn't help (for the record, I've got nothing against her, she just doesn't do much for me). After I heard this song live though...WOW. One of the most amazing live moments, I gained a whole new love for it. This recording has that vibe to it, I'd take this version over the one on JCN anyday.

Overall, a pretty solid EP... :up:

Sooooooo, the photo pass only allowed us to shoot *from the back of the room.*--Weird decision from Ryan's tour manager, apparently!

So, we had to borrow a camera that was an upgrade for me, but not quite the kind of pro tool needed to navigate the challenge. That said, I am proud enough of my zooming and photoshopping to share.

ryan8.jpg

ryan5.jpg

ryan2.jpg

So, like, now, I need to write the review for the main page. The setlist over at Ryan Adams dot org seems accurate. It was a deeply religious experience, to say the least.

set 1

Peaceful Valley
Please Do Not Let Me Go
Goodnight Rose
Beautiful Sorta
Wildflowers
Shakedown on 9th St.->
Bartering Lines
Games
Off Broadway
Rescue Blues

set 2

cold roses
Dear John
DJ REGGIE synth jam->Jon Graboff story time->Happy Birthday Spacewolf
Magnolia Mountain
When The Stars Go Blue
I Taught Myself How to Grow Old
Let It Ride
Dear Chicago
A Kiss Before I Go
I See Monsters

------------------
Two
Improv Caddyshack song
Easy Plateau

Oh, and it started at 830 and ended at 1110.

Somewhere in the 2nd set, he started effing with us and got this really whiny voice and said,

"OMG, I am having a meltdown."

I am still trying to digest how genius and beautiful it all was.

These songs can get soooo sad, perfect for the rainy, cool, late October weather we are having. I've had Ryan on the headphones all day.

Anu said:
On one of the Ryan boards (the archive is the one I went to, I think), it appears that Indianapolis was an even more incredible night!

It was a fucking marathon!

Ryan was amazing...the Indy concert-goers SUCK! I am so tired of going to shows around here.

Anyone have the setlist (A.K.A. I do not want to go to the Ryan sites digging around, so someone should post it here for me). :D

Hopefully the new Paste will be at B&N this Saturday, since I still haven't just broken down and gotten a subscription. :rolleyes: I get a Conor Oberst vibe from that pic.

zoney! said:

It was a fucking marathon!

Ryan was amazing...the Indy concert-goers SUCK! I am so tired of going to shows around here.

Anyone have the setlist (A.K.A. I do not want to go to the Ryan sites digging around, so someone should post it here for me). :D

:love: Here ya go...

Set 1:

Peaceful Valley->
Beautiful Sorta
Please Do Not Let Me Go
Rescue Blues
The Sun Also Sets
Goodnite Rose->
Bartering Lines
Off Broadway
A Kiss Before I Go->
Shakedown On 9th Street