Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger, Cardinology, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I was just reading about the show at the Archive. 65 minutes? Yikes. I mean, I know some people were crabby at the 90 minutes, and I was fine with those shows...but 65 would leave me kind of disappointed. It sounds like there were sound issues, but it still sucks.

I guess at least take some joy in getting "Shakedown" though, that is awesome.

And on CNN's front page...and currently the most viewed story..."Ryan Adams has meltdown at concert".

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/28/people.ryanadams.ap/index.html

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (AP) -- Ryan Adams pitched another fit for a Minneapolis audience, a few years after his last local meltdown.

Throughout a show Thursday night, the 32-year-old singer-guitarist complained about the sound monitors onstage at the State Theatre. At one point, he moved two monitors, his microphone and his guitar pedals.

After 70 minutes he'd had enough. Adams announced "the last song," played it and didn't return for an encore. Many fans stood and booed.

"I don't know what the story was," guitarist Neal Casal told the Star Tribune afterward. "I just play guitar."

In 2003, Adams gave a famously bad performance at First Avenue, a rambling two-hour show where he griped about the sound system, played several songs twice and lambasted local rock legend Paul Westerberg.

Last edited:
I'd really hoped that he'd stop stunts like this when he gave up drinking. This is a lot of the reason why I've stopped being a big fan. It seems like when you go to see him, you either get an amazing performance or one where he throws a tantrum and doesn't play the whole set. You have to wonder how many people left that show last night vowing to never see him again. I surely would have. He played long enough that the venue can't issue refunds, but not really long enough for people to have gotten their money's worth. It reminds me of the night back in 2005 when I walked out of one of his shows because he was arguing with the crowd more than he was playing. As it turns out, the crowd booed him off the stage not long after I left. Just when he was starting to possibly win me back, this happens.

It's disappointing, because he's a terrific performer, but he's going to keep losing fans if he doesn't knock this crap off. That moody artist persona was charming for awhile, but it's gotten old.

Not that I'm gonna defend Ryan like he can do no wrong, but I think that classifying this as a "meltdown" is a bit dramatic. :shrug: I mean, it wasn't an ideal show, and I surely would have left feeling a bit bummed out and shortchanged, but a "meltdown"? Jeez.

I just hope that there's no tension with the band over stuff like this, I love the line up of the Cardinals, I'd love to see them stick together for awhile yet. I also hope that Ryan doesn't let the negative press get to him...that he will just dust himself off, straighten up, and carry on.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I'd really hoped that he'd stop stunts like this when he gave up drinking.

If there are continued reports of this kind of erratic behavior, I'd guess he's using again.

Chan M. of Catpower is also notorious in this respect for being on or off. I've seen her twice; one was one of the best shows ever, another was one of the worst.

I can't decide if I should try to cover his sold-out Nashville show or not.

Bonochick said:
Not that I'm gonna defend Ryan like he can do no wrong, but I think that classifying this as a "meltdown" is a bit dramatic. :shrug: I mean, it wasn't an ideal show, and I surely would have left feeling a bit bummed out and shortchanged, but a "meltdown"? Jeez.

:yes: And, honestly, it wasn't a "meltdown" by any means. He didn't yell at the audience, or kick monitors. The show was great, until he decided to just walk off and not come back for an encore. The worst part for me is that I'll have to think twice before paying to see him next time he comes through.

Bonochick said:
...and lambasted local rock legend Paul Westerberg.

I read this this morning (and after the show where he did this). Not a cool move. But I think this was when he had some "other" issues.

It sounds like the shows since then have been amazing!!!

Bad news though...the Tulsa show is cancelled. :(

http://www.ryan-adams.com/web/guest/newsinfo

Tulsa Show Cancelled

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals had an opportunity that we could not pass up, and that we will hopefully be able to unveil to you all very soon. This regretfully resulted in having to cancel the October 21st show in Tulsa, OK. We promise to make it up to you soon. Watch this website for details on reimbursement for tickets already purchased for this show.

When asked about the cancellation, guitarist Neal Casal shrugged and said, "I just play guitar man."

Bonochick said:
Oh, and here is the poster from Ann Arbor. :D

AnnArborPoster.jpg

The friend I gave my Minneapolis tickets sent me a copy of the Minneapolis poster. VERY cool! It's a guy ice fishing.

I'll have to pick up one of the indy ones now!

I'll post a picture some day.

Bonochick said:
And on CNN's front page...and currently the most viewed story..."Ryan Adams has meltdown at concert".

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/28/people.ryanadams.ap/index.html

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (AP) -- Ryan Adams pitched another fit for a Minneapolis audience, a few years after his last local meltdown.

Throughout a show Thursday night, the 32-year-old singer-guitarist complained about the sound monitors onstage at the State Theatre. At one point, he moved two monitors, his microphone and his guitar pedals.

After 70 minutes he'd had enough. Adams announced "the last song," played it and didn't return for an encore. Many fans stood and booed.

"I don't know what the story was," guitarist Neal Casal told the Star Tribune afterward. "I just play guitar."

In 2003, Adams gave a famously bad performance at First Avenue, a rambling two-hour show where he griped about the sound system, played several songs twice and lambasted local rock legend Paul Westerberg.

.................That's it? He left early? THIS is what people consider a meltdown these days? :lol: :wink:

LemonMelon said:

.................That's it? He left early? THIS is what people consider a meltdown these days? :lol: :wink:

I know!!! :lol: I think improper of the word "meltdown" is now a favorite joke of Ryan fans...along with, "I just play guitar" as a standard answer to everything. :laugh:

elevation2u said:
i want the boxset already, hope lost highway doesn't flake out :angry:

i'm listening to the Suicide Handbook :drool:
the best unreleased record i've ever heard

"Cracks In A Photograph" and "Miss Sunflower" are two of my favorites. :love:

I'm new to this thread and somewhat new to Ryan Adams. I love what I hear, though.

I just scored guestlist for Tuesday's sold-out Nashville show, and I want a crash course; what songs MUST i put in high rotation to prepare my soul.

And what's with all the notorious meltdowns and temper tantrums I keep hearing about?

The whole meltdown thing was entirely blown out of proportion. Thank the media for that! This has been a really good tour.

answeringbell.com has the recent setlists through October 10th right now, those can give you a good indication of songs that may come up.

Glad you get to go, hope it's a great show! :drool:

Considering the EP's release is a mere five days away, I'm very surprised it hasn't leaked yet.

One of my best friends is going to the Houston show tonight.

Wish there was an Austin one tomorrow, but oh well.

Back
Top Bottom