Rock and roll hall of fame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't believe Green Day is getting in so quickly. Especially when all these important 80s acts have yet to be acknowledged. Not to mention more important punk bands.

Shameful.

Wtf!!!! Green Day is awful!!!!!!
Bunch of emo posers!!
I would rather see Katrina and The Waves make it in than them.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I can't believe Green Day is getting in so quickly. Especially when all these important 80s acts have yet to be acknowledged. Not to mention more important punk bands.

Shameful.

The whole "this act shouldn't get in because these acts that influenced them aren't in yet" argument really bothers me. I'm not saying that those others bands shouldn't be in, but Green Day deserves to be in and I'm glad they're getting inducted this year. Just because bands that influenced them aren't in yet doesn't mean that Green Day doesn't deserve to get in this year.

At least Lou Reed will get to enjoy the cerem....oh wait.

He's been eligible for induction since 96 or 97 IIRC.

How do you make anlegend like him wait over 15 years while rushing Green Day in so quickly?

Boner must be screaming from his hospital bed to get the nod for that induction speech.

I posted about the Green Day induction in the music thread. But yeah. I was wondering if Morrissey would even bother showing up had The Smiths had got the nod this year.

I would love to hear the argument for Green Day being inducted, only because I cannot begin to imagine what it is.

I honestly don't like these technicality inductions. Green Day weren't a legitimate factor in the music world until 1992, and really not until 1994. Should they really have been eligible this year, just because they formed as a group 25 years ago?

Its 25 years after the first commercial release, they released an EP nobody heard in 1989.

Oh I know, and I get that. And I think it's BS that that gets them in on the first ballot. It hasn't been 25 years since the world cared about them, or more importantly, since they started making music that mattered to the world.

And to counter, I realize that U2 weren't exactly setting the world on fire with Boy, either, yet they were in immediately, but to that, I say, that U2 has remained critically relevant their entire careers and Green Day's kinda disappeared for the last 10 years. 2 Critically acclaimed albums does not equal first year ballot, to me.

Biggest Performer Snub: Kraftwerk

Biggest Overall Snub: Brian Eno

Next Year's Shoe-In: Smashing Pumpkins

I would love to hear the argument for Green Day being inducted, only because I cannot begin to imagine what it is.

(I think they should be in, but not in their first year of eligibility)

A couple arguments for:

Dookie was a seminal album of the 90s (that sounds like bukkake i know:drool:)

Blended Grunge-Pop-Punk creating a genre of imitators

Boulevard of Broken Dreams won Record of the Year (tough for a rock band not named U2 to do)

Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) was an anthem for a generation

Woodstock 94' performance was a pure rock n' roll moment

Green Day is slam-dunk worthy and ranks around #100 all-time on sites that are extremely knowledgeable on these matters (see FutureRockLegends).

Their first four albums were absolutely perfect pop-punk records and American Idiot was a huge late resurgence (although albums like Nimrod/Warning/21st Century Breakdown all have classics).

I don't know why they get singled out when they actually have the best resume of any inductee from this year...had Kraftwerk or Chic or The Smiths or Nine Inch Nails got in, you'd have an argument. Otherwise, this is the best that the 2015 class has to offer.

Also Above The Bar: Bill Withers, Lou Reed, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, 5 Royales

Not Worthy: Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Ringo Starr

Biggest Snubs List

Wtf!!!! Green Day is awful!!!!!!
Bunch of emo posers!!
I would rather see Katrina and The Waves make it in than them.

Somebody doesn't know what emo is.

I believe Joan Jett is worthy. She's a pioneer in female Hard Rock. She was hanging with the big boys when Hard Rock/Heavy Metal was a male dominated arena.

I hate having to read "Katrina & The Waves" (or hear a tune from them) because my brain has to automatically bring up their only notable fact...that they had a member from The Soft Boys.

I believe Joan Jett is worthy. She's a pioneer in female Hard Rock. She was hanging with the big boys when Hard Rock/Heavy Metal was a male dominated arena.

I think Joan Jett should be in, but via the Musical Excellence category. It would cover everything she did (Runaways, her image, her collaborations), rather than try and prop up her minimally influential band that mostly got by doing covers.

Right, she had a few awesome hits, but the albums were nothing memorable. She definitely paved the way for future female rockers.

Somebody doesn't know what emo is.

how-elmo-works-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom