RIP - Scott Weiland - -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
1203-scott-wieland-getty-5.jpg

48 years

Last edited:
Weiland was a great performer. I was a huge fan of STP back in the 90's and early 2000's. I saw STP perform in 2000 at Jones Beach and Scott was in top form. Saw Velvet Revolver at the same place in 2005, and once again he was awesome. The big thing that marred his career, of course, were his drug problems. After a while, I got tired of all his bullshit and stopped paying attention. He was a great frontman, though. Considering all of his troubles, many predicted that he would die from them 20 years ago. It seemed like he'd make it through and live a reasonably long life.

Shit, I almost forgot. I did get STP's self titled 2010 album and it was actually really good. That was their last one with Scott.

Last edited:
I have been a huge fan of STP since the mid 90s, when I was roughly 14 and started to get into Alternative Rock. Weiland and STP had a flair and flamboyance added to their music that I feel set them apart from similar bands of that era (Alice and Chains, Soundgarden, etc). I saw them 3 times, in 2000, 2002 and 2008, and all 3 were incredible shows. I love all 6 of their studio albums, they're all very different but equally good (IMO, which is not an O that is shared by everyone).

I can't say I'm surprised by this at all, but that doesn't make it any less sad. Weiland was a truly talented person when he was sober and on point.

Weiland was a great performer. I was a huge fan of STP back in the 90's and early 2000's. I saw STP perform in 2000 at Jones Beach and Scott was in top form. Saw Velvet Revolver at the same place in 2005, and once again he was awesome. The big thing that marred his career, of course, were his drug problems. After a while, I got tired of all his bullshit and stopped paying attention. He was a great frontman, though. Considering all of his troubles, many predicted that he would die from them 20 years ago. It seemed like he'd make it through and live a reasonably long life.

Shit, I almost forgot. I did get STP's self titled 2010 album and it was actually really good. That was their last one with Scott.

I saw them open for Red Hot Chili Peppers at Jones Beach in 2000. I wasn't a fan of STP at that point but knew some songs. We were sitting in about the 4th row, middle. During Plush, Weiland makes eye contact with me from the stage, jumps down into the crowd, walks up the aisle straight to me and puts the microphone in my face and I sing "and I feel it".

Cool moment, made me a fan.

I saw them open for Red Hot Chili Peppers at Jones Beach in 2000. I wasn't a fan of STP at that point but knew some songs. We were sitting in about the 4th row, middle. During Plush, Weiland makes eye contact with me from the stage, jumps down into the crowd, walks up the aisle straight to me and puts the microphone in my face and I sing "and I feel it".

Cool moment, made me a fan.

That's the show I was at. Technically, RHCP were the "headliner", but they were co-headliners. I was there to see the RHCP, but was also a fan of STP. STP stole the show that night.

I also saw STP summer 2000 in Columbus. The sad thing is I went with a group of friends, and I thought we were going to an STP/RHCP show until we got there. It was a local radio festival with STP headlining (this festival took place on an off-day between shows on their tour with RHCP, having played with them in Cincinnati the night before). I was a casual fan, but I really got into STP hardcore after that! Was disappointed I didn't get to see RHCP, but STP really delivered and I forgot all about that other band.

Saw them again in 2002, Promowest Pavilion in Columbus. Intimate venue, explosive show... was fucking awesome. They broke up like a week later.

Saw them a final time in Cleveland 2008, one of their first shows after their comeback. Top 5 concert for me. Scott was absolutely on point at this show, band was firing on all cylinders... was truly something to behold.

They came to Columbus again in 2009 and 2010, but for some reason I didn't go. I wish I had. Great live band, and I loved all 6 of their records.

That's the show I was at. Technically, RHCP were the "headliner", but they were co-headliners. I was there to see the RHCP, but was also a fan of STP. STP stole the show that night.

Same here - I was a huge STP fan in the mid 90s, but figured they'd get blown away by the Chilis (who were a much better band in 2000), but STP just destroyed them. They were so tight, and Weiland was as good a frontman as I've ever seen. He was Dave Gahan level great. Saw them again in 2002, and it was supposed to be an hour long show for Much Music, but they ended up playing for two hours and the show ended with Dean ripping Scott's clothes off and Scott running around naked, then covering up with an American flag. Two of the best shows I've ever seen.

There aren't many albums I've listened to more than Purple, and STP have aged better than any American 90s band aside from the Pumpkins and Pavement.

Not any more, I guess. I loved them til Binaural, but haven't liked anything since then. And whenever I decide to spin an album I can't understand what I heard in them. Except for Vitalogy, but even that is only half as good as it was to me from 94-2000ish. I think they're the only band I loved as a teen that I feel that way about. Maybe it's that they prized angst over songcraft and melody. STP always put the song first. Maybe because they had the songs. I always change the channel when I hear PJ, never when I hear STP. They're one of the best singles bands ever.

Sent from my XT1034 using U2 Interference mobile app

Yeah, thought so.

The shame about STP is that they'd get some momentum going with each album released, but then Weiland would derail it with his mental issues and substance abuse problems. His 2nd wife recently posted an open letter to his fans. She claims, in addition to being a shitty husband, he was a shitty father and stopped paying child support after he married his 3rd wife.

They're one of the best singles bands ever.

Definitely a killer run of singles. I don't think they ever delivered a truly great album though as they were want to have a lot of filler on their LPs. Purple is the best by virtue of being half singles, all of them great.

I'm in agreement that they've aged surprisingly well and literally all of those singles not only sound more creative and clever outside of that bubble, but they also aren't as misunderstood as they were at the time. Songs like "Plush" and "Sex Type Thing" felt like trend chasing and frat-boy lyric writing at the time to some, but on closer inspection are very insightful tunes with a hell of a lot to say. The band married a sorta Pearl Jam sound with Weiland's sorta Perry Farrell artsier tendencies and it worked like magic.

I think Tiny Music... was a prime example of a great album whose promotion was derailed by Scott's drug problems. 1996 was their year to show that STP were the real deal and have a bona fide tour to support their album which showcased their variety of musical tastes. Nirvana were done. Alice In Chains had Layne Staley and his problems. Pearl Jam had taken a step back thanks to all of the bullshit with ticket master, so their mainstream popularity had waned. (Even though, of course, they were still making great music) Same thing with REM. U2 were still working on Pop, so they were out of the limelight. This was STP's chance to show how truly great they were. But, alas, the tour was canceled due to Scott's problems. Costing the band millions of dollars. Looking back, I'm amazed the other members stuck with him after that, but he was their meal ticket as well as their friend. Yes, No.4 was a good album when they released it in 1999, but their chance for world wide domination was squandered thanks to the cancelation of the 96/97 tour. It just wasn't the same after that. There would always be that concern that Scott's demons could cost them deeply again.

yeah, that's true now that i think about it. i still didn't have the internet at home in early 1997 and i remember buying tiny music after hearing big bang baby and loving the album, but not hearing any other tracks on mtv or anything. it was the first album of theirs i'd bought but i knew they'd released other stuff of course, so i didn't know if it flopped or what the deal was.

1996 was a transitional year in mainstream music and it would have been great if they capitalized off it and toured and promoted more. But yeah, as others said, Scott's problems derailed them that year. I do remember all the singles released from Tiny Music because they did still at least make music videos for them. I remember the other guys in STP released an album and a video in 1997 for their side project Talk Show, which was okay.

Yes, by then, grunge was dead and electronica had gained in popularity in the US. STP looked like one of those bands that would be perfect for that transition because their music had some variety. The Nu-Metal scene built up steam toward the late 90's and eventually STP would head toward a more concise aggressive sound with the release of No. 4. Although, a song like Sour Girl strayed from those aggressive songs.

Back
Top Bottom