RIP Prince

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it just me, or is the media - at least here in the States - making a bigger deal of Prince's tragic passing than it did of Bowie's tragic passing? I mean it's obviously not a contest, I'm just curious. The media covered Bowie a lot on the day of, and then moved on pretty much, and we're entering day three and Prince is still everywhere. SNL is apparently doing a whole tribute episode tonight, where Bowie got one(very brief) segment.

It truly doesn't matter, but I'm just curious why the difference. The cynical part of me is thinking - again, at least in the States - that it's because Prince was American and Bowie wasn't. But that could be off base.

Anyway, I should listen to more of his work. I would've by now, but he never allowed any of it to be on YT.

I think because he was American and also the circumstances of how he died.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Is it just me, or is the media - at least here in the States - making a bigger deal of Prince's tragic passing than it did of Bowie's tragic passing? I mean it's obviously not a contest, I'm just curious. The media covered Bowie a lot on the day of, and then moved on pretty much, and we're entering day three and Prince is still everywhere. SNL is apparently doing a whole tribute episode tonight, where Bowie got one(very brief) segment.

It truly doesn't matter, but I'm just curious why the difference. The cynical part of me is thinking - again, at least in the States - that it's because Prince was American and Bowie wasn't. But that could be off base.

Anyway, I should listen to more of his work. I would've by now, but he never allowed any of it to be on YT.

seems like US media coverage care more about Prince than Bowie. I personally love Bowie more than Prince because Bowie has worked with people/musicians I love (Eno, etc) and I tend to love more abstract/insane music. but as a cultural icon, I acknowledge that Prince has larger influence than David, especially in the 80s, the time people fondly remember these days. also the fact that Prince's death came pretty suddenly kinda contributed to this.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed any significant difference in coverage. The outpouring of grief for both has been understandably huge.

Just watching that makes me even more sad that I'm never gonna get to see him live. Looks like a lot of fun.

As El Mel said, it's ridiculously catchy, great melodies on both the verses and the chorus. And in the full version, that breakdown and guitar solo are so good.

The Afghan Whigs covered it when I saw them back in the 90s.

It's my second favorite song of his, and the album version is a big part of why. Just a killer pop track, already, and then he takes it one step further and just shreds all over the ending. Great stuff.

But my jam is, was and will always be "Let's Go Crazy". I can be having the worst day of my life, but I hear the intro to that song, and I'm immediately feeling better. It just doesn't matter how bad life might be, because that song exists.

1. Purple Rain
2. Baby I'm a Star
3. Let's Go Crazy
4. Controversy
5. I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
6. Little Red Corvette

Watched Purple Rain today and reinforced that I Would Die 4 U is the best song ever written.

I was surprised as well. But I discussed this with friends last night and the consensus is that Bowie is considerably more of a "niche" artist, despite a handful of singles that many people recognize. Look at his album sales compared to Prince's. Purple Rain (the album and film) was a juggernaut. He put out singles that got considerable airplay from the early 80s all the way to the mid 90s. His battle with Warner Bros. got him publicity but had he "played ball" and not gone into relatively word territory with the whole "slave" hing and the name change, that run could have gone on considerably longer. He had a pretty big comeback in the mid 2000s with Musicology and 3121 (his first album to debut at #1) plus that huge Super Bowl performance, and became a bit of an elder statesman while still blowing people away with his live act, which continued to be successful in terms of ticket sales.

On Bowie's side, he wasn't out and about as much media-wise. He fell off big time in the late 80s and despite the resurgence with the Nine Inch Nails tour and Reznor collaboration, didn't do too much chart-wise. Can you picture Bowie doing the Super Bowl? He's really not mainstream enough.

Also, Bowie's fan base is predominantly white, a lot of music nerds. Everyone I know seemed to take his death hard but that's my extended social circle. Prince has a huge cross-cultural following and has an enormous number of black fans. He's beloved by the music and entertainment industries.

I just watched the Charlie Murphy Chapelle clip again. God, that's funny. And so cool that Prince loved it.

Is there any love out there for Lady Cab Driver? Would probably make my Prince Rushmore.

Not necessarily a Top 10, but here are the songs I look forward to hearing the most when I play their respective albums (I'll stick to ten).

D.M.S.R. (1999)
Take Me With U (Purple Rain)
Paisley Park (Around The World In A Day)
Mountains (Parade)
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man (Sign 'O' The Times)
The Cross (Sign 'O' The Times)
Money Don't Matter 2 Night (Diamonds And Pearls)
My Name Is Prince (Love Symbol)
She's Always In My Hair (B-Sides)
Endorphinmachine (Gold Experience)

I was surprised as well. But I discussed this with friends last night and the consensus is that Bowie is considerably more of a "niche" artist, despite a handful of singles that many people recognize. Look at his album sales compared to Prince's. Purple Rain (the album and film) was a juggernaut. He put out singles that got considerable airplay from the early 80s all the way to the mid 90s. His battle with Warner Bros. got him publicity but had he "played ball" and not gone into relatively word territory with the whole "slave" hing and the name change, that run could have gone on considerably longer. He had a pretty big comeback in the mid 2000s with Musicology and 3121 (his first album to debut at #1) plus that huge Super Bowl performance, and became a bit of an elder statesman while still blowing people away with his live act, which continued to be successful in terms of ticket sales.

On Bowie's side, he wasn't out and about as much media-wise. He fell off big time in the late 80s and despite the resurgence with the Nine Inch Nails tour and Reznor collaboration, didn't do too much chart-wise. Can you picture Bowie doing the Super Bowl? He's really not mainstream enough.

Also, Bowie's fan base is predominantly white, a lot of music nerds. Everyone I know seemed to take his death hard but that's my extended social circle. Prince has a huge cross-cultural following and has an enormous number of black fans. He's beloved by the music and entertainment industries.

The last part is a huge factor. Prince had legions of fans in all demographics (much like Wacko Jacko), his music reached a significantly wider audience than Bowie's did.

Pretty much impossible for me to do a top 10. Half of it would be slow songs alone lol. But let me think on it.

Couldn't help but reminesce with Prince snippets on Friday night.

iirc they went something like this:

Angel of Harlem (w/Raspberry Beret)
Desire (w/I Would Die 4 U)
Mysterious Ways (w/Alphabet St)
All I Want Is You (w/Adore)
Bad (w/The Beautiful Ones)
Streets (w/Purple Rain)

We ended with a guitar + vocals of Purple Rain with everyone singing along.

In the intermission I (sorta) DJ'd a little set of:

I Feel For You
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Little Red Corvette
Kiss
Darling Nikki
U Got the Look
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
Alphabet St
Sign of The Times
I Would Die For U
When Doves Cry

I know I know, very mainstream, but it was a very mainstream crowd.

Our intro music to start our show was Let's Go Crazy, and we opened with I Will Follow. Pretty cool.

All in all it was just a Prince love-in, in a U2 context.

Laz, that show is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.

the other day i caught the very beginning of what i knew had to be a prince song (only caught the beginning of the song before the vocals started) and it was bugging me that i couldn't figure out what song it was. i immediately knew it had to be from the 1999/purple rain era based on its sound, and i finally figured out...17 days. great song.

1- Raspberry Beret
2- The Beautiful Ones
3- U Got the Look
4- Sign o' the Times
5- Seven
6- My Name is Prince
7- Purple Rain
8- Batdance
9- Little Red Corvette
10- Money Don't Matter 2 Night

Back
Top Bottom