Rilo Kiley -- Under the Blacklight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't heard it, but I read a rather-lengthy article in the L.A. Times about it.

The music, as opposed to the lyrics, is supposed to take center-stage on this album. The lyrics, though still meaningful, are supposed to be more minimalistic.

The music is also supposed to be lighter, bouncier, "pop"-ier, and sexier than the more intricate "folk-ish" music on their previous efforts.

Of course, hard core fans are screaming, "Sell Out!", while the band are decreeing, "Pushing boundaries/Change of direction".

:shrug:

That's about all I know.

Listening to her on Rhapsody right now -- I think it's my first exposure to her. Thanks for the heads up. Not bad -- I'll save a playlist for future listening.

Rhapsody compares her to The Decemberists, Wilco and Belle and Sebastian. That's good company.

I really like the last Rilo Kiley album, and the album Jenny Lewis did with the Watson Twins.

I haven't heard anything off the new one yet, but based on what I've read, I anticipate enjoying it very much.

If you're not familiar with Rilo Kiley, I sure as hell wouldn't start with this one. Although More Adventurous, the last album, has some country/folky moments, there is rock and pop on there as well. It's a good sampling of what they can do.

Under the Blacklight...I got this a week ago and I'm a little torn, not so much "sellout" as "what the fuck were they thinking?" There are like 5 great songs here and an equal number of "meh" ones. The Fleetwood Mac thing that the guitarist sings co-lead vocals on? Dreamworld? No. Just...no. That Gloria Estefan thing that has Spanish enunciated like a gringo? No. I'm not a big fan of The Moneymaker either, and if that was some kind of ironic pre-emptive stike against cries of "sellout!", it doesn't work that way either.

What's good is very good; Silver Lining, Breaking Up, the title track, Smoke Detector, 15. It's just that it's very lightweight. You can have minimalist lyrics and still have more resonance than this album. Musically, it's all over the place, going from Motown to 80's synth pop to 50's rock n roll to latin pop to god knows what.

If you're on the fence, just get a few songs, and spend your money on something else.

Last edited:
I do enjoy my Rilo, but it's an atrocious album. Silver Lining is far and away the best song.

inmyplace13 said:
I do enjoy my Rilo, but it's an atrocious album. Silver Lining is far and away the best song.

I have to agree with the second part of that. Smoke Detector is really good too, but with Silver Lining the album starts at a peak it falls down from fast, and doesn't come close to scaling again.

I finally listened to this the other day, and I REALLY like it. It's much more poppy, more fluffy than their last album, but I like that kind of thing. Big :up: from me.

I have to say I personally think it's fabulous, and I'd definitely recommend it. I think there are more than just a few good songs, but each to their own and all that jazz!

I didn't want to start a new thread just to say "I saw Jenny Lewis last night" so I'm bumping this old one. She was really great. I took a friend who didn't really know her stuff but then ended up knowing at least half the songs because of all the tracks I'd put on mixes for him over the years, so a new fan was born.

BVS's girlfriend sure is a cutie. :sexywink:

I like her a lot. I think I prefer Rabbit Fur Coat over Acid Tongue, but I need more listens of the latter to make a firm decision.

Portions for Foxes is one of my favorite songs of the last 5 years or so. And I will agree with the peeps above that said that Silver Lining is the best track on Under the Blacklight.

My dad apparently saw Rilo Kiley on Letterman or Leno one night and liked whatever song they played (I think it was 'Dreamworld'), and bought Under the Black Light. He then gave it to me. I haven't listened to it a ton, but I will agree that Silver Lining is also my favorite song from it.

I will be seeing her open for Bon Iver for free on July 9th. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom