Red Hot Chili Peppers Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can we safely say that many acts, nominated and ignored, were more deserving of all those major awards than the Dixie Chicks?

Again, too, the Grammys seem to patronize a genre per year, this was country's year, but not even a good one.

MrPryck2U said:
Gee, I didn't think they were bad last night at the Grammies.
The Chilis are nobody's underdog.

They're underdogs in the sense that...well, Anthony can't sing live, and I don't think it comes all that easy to him in the studio either. The band is great and I love them to pieces, but for people who can't get past Anthony's vocals, they'll never be one of the great rock & roll bands that I feel they actually are because people will always make fun of Anthony. If that makes any sense...

Yay for the Dixie Chicks. Politics aside, they're extremely talented.

Bono's American Wife said:
I thought Chad, Flea and John were fine last night but Anthony may as well have been sititing in a recliner with his feet up.

Yep - and they could have picked a better song. They waited or "scheduled" them near the end of the show, right before the Best Rock Album category. Hyping it up, and "saving the best for last" didn't seem to work, not with that song. Maybe the "confetti" wasn't their idea, so perhaps Keidis was pissed about it. Just a possibility, not like I know anything. But that was a weak song to perform. Even Dani California, being overplayed as it has been, would have been much welcomed and would have rocked the arena. There are so many good songs on that album.

:sigh:

I think I would have liked to have seen some of the other performers performing their hits live :shrug:

Lila64 said:

Yep - and they could have picked a better song. They waited or "scheduled" them near the end of the show, right before the Best Rock Album category. Hyping it up, and "saving the best for last" didn't seem to work, not with that song.

It would've been so much better if Snow had lead into another song...Hump De Bump, perhaps?

The entire show was pretty flat. I also thought the production was dreadful, with the way the announcer repeatedly messed up his cues and intros. My high school grad was better run, and that's saying something.

U2Kitten said:
Can we safely say that many acts, nominated and ignored, were more deserving of all those major awards than the Dixie Chicks?

Are there acts that were more deserving? Absolutely, that's been the story since day one of the Grammys...

I was devastated to see that John cut his hair off. When did this happen? Bact, k in the spring/summer when the Stadium Arcadium first came out, it was really, really long...as long as I ever remember seeing it on him.

Hump De Bump would have been perfect! It would have reminded people of the Bloodsugar days. Maybe RHCP don't want that.

They should've done Tell Me Baby.

BTW, I'm glad the Dixie Chicks won. 4 years ago, they had the balls to tell the world that GW's war on Iraq was wrong and the Country music scene shit all over them for it. Turns out, they were right all along.

MrPryck2U said:
They should've done Tell Me Baby.

:no: I don't like that song much but.... I guess it may have flown well with that contemporary crowd!

MrPryck2U said:
BTW, I'm glad the Dixie Chicks won. 4 years ago, they had the balls to tell the world that GW's war on Iraq was wrong and the Country music scene shit all over them for it. Turns out, they were right all along.

:yes: :up::up:

namkcuR said:
I was devastated to see that John cut his hair off. When did this happen? Bact, k in the spring/summer when the Stadium Arcadium first came out, it was really, really long...as long as I ever remember seeing it on him.

He did it a few months ago during the European leg of the tour, or at least that was when I saw the first pics of him with the short hair.

I was a little devastated too :(

namkcuR said:

Is there a PLEBA version for RHCP?

I've recently gotten into the RHCP. I'm convinced that if I became a MLB player, my walk-up to bat music would be "Can't Stop."

And I think Frusciante looks 20x better with the shorter hair.

His current look is his best with the semi-long hair. He looks a bit like Bret McKenzie.

Getting into the Red Hot Chilli Peppers

So I'm really starting to like them and am looking into buying some of their music. But I was wondering, if there are any RHCP fans here, what are some of the songs that are more known by more hardcore fans? Like, I know their songs say, equivalent to Beautiful Day or Sunday Bloody Sunday, but what are the songs more like The Fly, or Acrobat? Also, any suggestions on what a good album is to start out with?

I would start with Blood Sugar Sex Magik or Californication, although you couldn't go wrong with Stadium Arcadium either. All 3 are pretty accessible, and have some of the songs you are already probably familiar with.

If you like those, you could check out By The Way, and then One Hot Minute (the band with guitarist Dave Navarro instead of John Frusciante), or go for some of their earlier more funky stuff like Mothers Milk, Uplift Mofo Party Plan, or Freaky Styly. The compilation What Hits? covers this early era of these three albums nicely (and includes Under The Bridge).

Also the 2003 Greatest Hits would give you a good representation of some of the best songs off the last four albums (before Stadium Arcadium)

Re: Getting into the Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Listen to the following:

Dosed
Otherside
Scar Tissue
Snow ((Hey Oh))
Under the Bridge
Aeroplane

These are my favourite Chilis tracks. :up:

ETA: If you want to listen to a whole album, start with By the Way or Californication. Avoid anything earlier than Blood Sugar Sex Magik until you're a big fan and have already heard their later albums.

It's funny, I never liked them a whole lot until Californication/By The Way. I love those 2 albums, and think they represent a more confident band/singer.

Most people I know that love them, though, prefer the earlier stuff, especially Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

No spoken words said:
they represent a more confident band/singer.

:yes:

Any band that goes through what the Chilis went through from 92-98 and still makes music like Californication and By The Way deserves all the credit in the world.

Re: Re: Getting into the Red Hot Chilli Peppers

DaveC said:
Dosed
Otherside

Good call. I would also suggest that you take a look at the videos for a number of the songs that DaveC suggests... RHCP have quite a good visual catalogue (e.g. Give It Away, Under the Bridge, Scar Tissue).

If you're looking to find an awesome album and some perhaps, lesser known, or less HUGE singles, I think 'By The Way' would quench both of your thirsts.

Obviously 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' and 'Californication' are awesome but they are loaded with big songs you've probably heard ad nauseum. In any event you can't go wrong here. All 3 of these albums are must owns.

So is Stadium Arcadium as well, just maybe not the ideal starting point? I'd give that fucker 5/5 stars. All 4 of these albums are right there together, just a question of trying to be exposed to something new and have it kick your ass. I'm in love with By The Way and I want to marry it and have it's babies.

One Hot Minute and Mothers Milk are very cool as well.

I started to like the early chilis more than the decent! they are more diverse than most people think. Listen to the album 'freaky styley' and you'll see what I mean!

I'm glad to see so much love for Dosed. It's my favorite Chili Peppers song, and I've been a fan since I was 14 and own everything back to the self-titled. There's been some great stuff down through the years, but I would recommend Blood Sugar Sex Magik as a starting point, or MAYBE Stadium Arcadium. The nice thing about both albums is you can get a feel for everything the Peppers have done - there are other ballads on BSSM besides "Under the Bridge," like the (damn near perfect) "I Could Have Lied" and of course "Breaking the Girl." There is an overabundance of funk as well. I guess there aren't as many tracks that fuse the two as you'll find on later albums, but Californication and By the Way suppress the funk so much it's almost not there, especially on By the Way. It's my favorite album by the Peppers, but it's definitely one of the most atypical in its sound. Stadium Arcadium has a great pop sheen to it, but has more funk than you can shake a stick at and really solid balladry.

Also, if you want to hear a really sick Dylan cover, check out their take on "Subterranean Homesick Blues"

Back
Top Bottom