Red Hot Chili Peppers Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the day I first heard the album, I've always preferred I Could Have Lied to Under the Bridge. Fantastic solo.

Bravo to Frusciante for not feeling obligated to play to the cheap seats. :shrug:

congratulations for you. you should really pat yourself on the back for this. you earned it.

i'll just sulk from my apparent cheap seats for wanting them to actually play a song they started to play.

How are the new songs live? I wanna see them early next year but the cheapest tickets are 170 fuckin dollars, for absolute nosebleeds. 200 minimum for GA.

they sounded great - really tight. frusciante and flea are incredible.

i'm not a huge chili peppers fan (yet somehow managed to not be in the cheap seats, sorry laz)... but seeing them live reminds you of just how many great songs they have, and how amazing they are as musicians - especially in a live setting.

the sound was clearly better for RHCP than it was for The Strokes, which is pretty lame. i know sometimes the headliner does this on purpose - but i dunno - probably more than the Strokes sound guys just don't have the experience playing such large venues. who knows. but it was fairly obvious.

i did notice that Flea never changed his bass until the very last song, when he swapped it out for a Lakers themed bass (hey, we're talking Lakers!)... which got me thinking. is every song in the same key? or is he just so talented that he shifts keys effortlessly without swapping instruments?

i did notice that Flea never changed his bass until the very last song, when he swapped it out for a Lakers themed bass (hey, we're talking Lakers!)... which got me thinking. is every song in the same key? or is he just so talented that he shifts keys effortlessly without swapping instruments?

a bass is tuned the exact same way as a guitar's bottom 4 strings (EADG), just obviously at a lower octave than the guitar.

so, just like you can play sunshine of your love, under the bridge, sweet child o' mine, and stairway to heaven (all in different keys) all on the same guitar without swapping guitars or changing the tuning of the strings, you can play various songs in the same key without changing your bass.

the reason he probably switched for the final song was either because he just wanted to show off his lakers bass, or the tone/effects for the final song were so different from the rest that it's easier to just change basses rather than change the settings on his gear between songs, or the final song is played with the bass strings tuned to BEAD or some other alternate tuning.

ETA: i just checked the setlist, By The Way is indeed played in drop-d tuning (DADG), so most likely that's your answer. it's very basic and simple for flea to detune the E down to a D on stage between the songs himself, but they're already paying a bass tech, and it's a lot more accurate and efficient if the tech does it with a tuner backstage and then just hands flea an already perfectly-tuned bass. and besides, nobody likes those awkward moments between songs when the guitar/bass player is plonking around trying to tune their strings.

Last edited:
a bass is tuned the exact same way as a guitar's bottom 4 strings (EADG), just obviously at a lower octave than the guitar.

so, just like you can play sunshine of your love, under the bridge, sweet child o' mine, and stairway to heaven (all in different keys) all on the same guitar without swapping guitars or changing the tuning of the strings, you can play various songs in the same key without changing your bass.

the reason he probably switched for the final song was either because he just wanted to show off his lakers bass, or the tone/effects for the final song were so different from the rest that it's easier to just change basses rather than change the settings on his gear between songs, or the final song is played with the bass strings tuned to BEAD or some other alternate tuning.

ETA: i just checked the setlist, By The Way is indeed played in drop-d tuning (DADG), so most likely that's your answer. it's very basic and simple for flea to detune the E down to a D on stage between the songs himself, but they're already paying a bass tech, and it's a lot more accurate and efficient if the tech does it with a tuner backstage and then just hands flea an already perfectly-tuned bass. and besides, nobody likes those awkward moments between songs when the guitar/bass player is plonking around trying to tune their strings.

:up:

i don't play so i don't know the details like this - i just know that most acts i see, including years of doing shit for Unforgettable Fire, all have multiple guitars/bass' that they swap out because of different tuning, tone, etc.

glad you enjoyed the show despite the switcheroo. i saw them here in toronto (in the actual cheap seats lol) a couple weeks ago and it was one of the highlights of the summer, even though i could only see about 1/3rd of the stage from my seat. my only real complaint is that they kept the dome closed and it became really humid and warm after the first few songs.

did you get thundercat opening too, or was it just the strokes?

Last edited:
Lol, that's so ridiculous. Several times its been on the printed setlist as the encore opener, and then they opt out of it and play Soul to Squeeze or I Could Have Lied.

It's like Frusciante will only play it if he's in the right mood or something.

To be fair, they only played the song just under half the time on their last full-scale tour with Klinghoffer, too.

I wish I could see them on this tour, but as of now there are no dates near enough to me, and the travel expenses would make it untenable.

I love Unlimited Love though, and look forward to Return Of The Dream Canteen next month.

glad you enjoyed the show despite the switcheroo. i saw them here in toronto (in the actual cheap seats lol) a couple weeks ago and it was one of the highlights of the summer, even though i could only see about 1/3rd of the stage from my seat. my only real complaint is that they kept the dome closed and it became really humid and warm after the first few songs.

did you get thundercat opening too, or was it just the strokes?
Thundercat opened but I missed his set. We had a little babysitter kerfuffle that caused me to be a little late - got to our seats as The Strokes were taking the stage.

Sat on the third base side in the 100s, a few rows up from the field. For some reason Nats Park didn't take down the foul ball net, which was annoying, but you forgot it was there after a while.

Really glad we went. Originally missed out on tickets but we're friends with another couple who did get them, but didn't get for the Killers at COA next month, so we came to a mutually beneficial agreement [emoji1666]

Holy shit, "Eddie" is awesome. Far better than any track on Unlimited Love. Frusciante is transcendent, and what a great tribute to EVH (in a very Anthony style), one of my all time favorite musicians.

Eddie is fucking awesome. What a song! Amazing solo. Real heartfelt shit right there. Everyone in the band firing on all cylinders.
Their best song in a loooong time. This song has everything Unlimited Love is missing. It sits up there comfortably with Wet Sand and Don’t Forget Me.

Definitely their best track in a long while, maybe Dani California was the last one for me. Not sure it needs the By the Way bit at the start though. U2 should take some fucking notes.

Thoughts on the new album.....well where do I start?!

If you think go robot is different,wait until you hear my cigarette.

Only listened once so it's still stewing in my head,but it's like zooropa was to achtung baby. It's that different from unlimited love.

I’m excited to hear Dream Canteen tonight. Gotta love that we’re getting two double albums in six months from RHCP

Last edited:
It’s definitely more interesting sonically and a bit more experimental. I had to eyeroll a couple times at some of Anthony’s lyrics, but overall I think I like it better too. I really like the run of songs from Afterlife to Bag of Grins. The closer In The Snow has a really cool vibe, almost reminds me of something from Outkast, but Anthony’s spoken word lyrics are really dumb and jarring imo.

Overall pretty happy to get two quality albums from them in one year

It’s definitely more interesting sonically and a bit more experimental. I had to eyeroll a couple times at some of Anthony’s lyrics, but overall I think I like it better too. I really like the run of songs from Afterlife to Bag of Grins. The closer In The Snow has a really cool vibe, almost reminds me of something from Outkast, but Anthony’s spoken word lyrics are really dumb and jarring imo.

Overall pretty happy to get two quality albums from them in one year

I agree, although I'm not as harsh with Anthony. He's a got a style (at times) where it's sort of nonsensical while possibly bordering on the absurd, but entertaining, nonetheless. The other day, I had to drive 100 miles somewhere and I played the CD and didn't even look at the track listing. I just played the songs not knowing their titles. I think John is a major reason why I like this one more.

Back
Top Bottom