Record Store Day 2015 - Discussion on Releases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is meant to be about the smaller people.

article-2555555-1B582EBA00000578-944_634x577.jpg

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f293/game-of-thrones-continued-216388-16.html#post7931765

The revenue generated on Record Store Day weekend pays 5 months worth of rent at my local shop I frequent. For that I am grateful. For every questionable reissue released on RSD there's always something cool released too, eg White Stripes Get Behind Me Satan, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The reissues everyone was clamoring for, though, were The Decemberists, The White Stripes, and Brand New. I don't think that any of those three were RSD exclusives, just first day of release.

Still, if people get caught up in the excitement and drop $25 on a reissue that they normally wouldn't, it's good for the record shops. I've certainly gotten caught up in the hype in the past, but now try to limit myself to things that are truly RSD exclusives.

Now don't get me wrong, if they reissued Zooropa on purple and yellow vinyl, I would be all over it.

The reissues everyone was clamoring for, though, were The Decemberists, The White Stripes, and Brand New. I don't think that any of those three were RSD exclusives, just first day of release.

Still, if people get caught up in the excitement and drop $25 on a reissue that they normally wouldn't, it's good for the record shops. I've certainly gotten caught up in the hype in the past, but now try to limit myself to things that are truly RSD exclusives.

Now don't get me wrong, if they reissued Zooropa on purple and yellow vinyl, I would be all over it.

Is the Decemberists album getting a broader release? I know Brand New is, and people are still going batshit trying to get pre-orders from online retailers (about 2500 already sold through Triple Crown, Banquet and BN web store).

Is this going to be one of those times where I go "weird, I didn't know anyone cared about Brand New," and I find out it's an entirely different band by the same name? Or are we still talking about that shitty emo band

Is the Decemberists album getting a broader release? I know Brand New is, and people are still going batshit trying to get pre-orders from online retailers (about 2500 already sold through Triple Crown, Banquet and BN web store).

I guess I must have looked at the list wrong. I could have sworn The Decemberists was in the RSD First Release section, but it was indeed an RSD Exclusive.

Is this going to be one of those times where I go "weird, I didn't know anyone cared about Brand New," and I find out it's an entirely different band by the same name? Or are we still talking about that shitty emo band

More like emo numetal rap-rock, but I think you are thinking of the right band. You know, if you graduated high school in 2003, you are turning 30 and it's time for a little nostalgia.

The fact that Citizen Dick sold more than U2 gives me joy.

I guess U2 don't fare that well among vinyl-collecting hipsters!

No hitz!

I think you might be categorising emo too narrowly. Their first album was close to that, but by the third album they were a proper rock band. And in terms of lyricism and instrumentation, very few bands like them did it better.

As much as I dislike Taking Back Sunday, even they did that nonsense better than Brand New.

As much as I dislike Taking Back Sunday, even they did that nonsense better than Brand New.

Pass me some of what you're smoking. Taking Back Sunday were rubbish. The whiney, voice, cut-yourself lyrics. Just, no. No.

That's my point. They were horrible, yet Brand New managed to be worse.

That's my point. They were horrible, yet Brand New managed to be worse.

I think you may be judging them on a first album that threatened to go down that path. If you choose to continue to do that without listening further, that is fine, it is your prerogative. Digging deeper though may reveal the answer to your initial cocern.

Regardless, they are not an emo band. They may have been, or at least almost been in their early days, but definitely not by the third album.

Pretty sure I heard some quasi acoustic, low key boring ass songs off stuff other than the first album. They used to come up on pandora all the time when I worked with this kid who listened to that stuff. Apparently when you type in polar bear club on pandora, you get brand new like every 6th song.

Pretty sure I heard some quasi acoustic, low key boring ass songs off stuff other than the first album. They used to come up on pandora all the time when I worked with this kid who listened to that stuff. Apparently when you type in polar bear club on pandora, you get brand new like every 6th song.

Not sure what quasi acoustic stuff there is. To each their own.

Brand New are decent, but they're way down there on the list of emo and post-hardcore bands I enjoy. Lyrically there are a lot of similar bands that engage me more, like La Dispute.

And sure, they're an emo band. There's nothing wrong at all with that either. They are pretty heavy at times and have some alternative/indie rock features, but the lyrical content and vocal delivery is emo all over.

Last edited:
So it's basically Bono's style of guitar playing, then.

Sent from my SM-G730V using U2 Interference mobile app

That Record Store Day chart doesn't accurately showcase demand...the Bob Dylan Basement Tapes release was clearly either #1 or #2 in terms of being wanted (either behind or ahead of The White Stripes), but was released in much smaller quantities. Same goes for Polaris - another very sought after release with a small run.

In terms of actual demand, the U2 record probably wasn't in the Top 100, even, but they pressed like 5,000 copies of the thing.

I hit a few stores in Ashland, Oregon since I was in the area for a wedding. Picked up The Hold Steady, Goldfrapp, Zombies, Metallica Cassette (interesting that a cassette was the second biggest seller this year), Nebraska and Everly Brothers. Neither store had big fills although I showed up a little later than they opened (doors seemed to open at 9 for these places and I was there near 10 although there was hardly a rush of people or evidence of a very big selection).

Went to Medford, Oregon where both stores didn't open until noon (!) and it turns out neither was even stocking for RSD but ordering in releases requested by customers later in the week. Big waste of a couple hours waiting around although we had time to kill. Picked up some $1 tapes and an inexpensive vinyl carrying case as well.

Ordered Happy Mondays/Dixie Cups for the hell of it off Bullmoose today. Great prices and free shipping. Ordered Polaris via the link in this thread (THANK YOU!)

My most sought after and missed release is the Burger Records 101 cassette compilation. Maybe someone will upload a rip of that on the web or I'll come across it.

That Record Store Day chart doesn't accurately showcase demand...the Bob Dylan Basement Tapes release was clearly either #1 or #2 in terms of being wanted (either behind or ahead of The White Stripes), but was released in much smaller quantities. Same goes for Polaris - another very sought after release with a small run.

In terms of actual demand, the U2 record probably wasn't in the Top 100, even, but they pressed like 5,000 copies of the thing.

Five of the first six people in line at the shop I went to were after the Elvis record from Third Man. I think they only pressed 1000, but I don't think it was an official RSD release.

My local shop had about ten copies of that Zombies record, and they were all still there Monday night. :shrug:

Five of the first six people in line at the shop I went to were after the Elvis record from Third Man. I think they only pressed 1000, but I don't think it was an official RSD release.

My local shop had about ten copies of that Zombies record, and they were all still there Monday night. :shrug:

Bullmoose still has The Zombies release...the actual albums went fast in most places last year, but people in general don't know what this release is all about (basically, the best sounding/compiled version of their lost album). I'm proud to have it complement the two albums from last year's RSD.

The Elvis ones definitely must have gone quick. I ran into someone in Medford that said there were a ton of Elvis releases at one of the stores I had been in. There were none there when I arrived. He also confirmed that their were only five racks of albums in the same store and they were mostly full when I got there, so that Elvis release was certainly in high demand.

I like the Singles soundtrack, but god, I hate that movie. All the characters are terrible and/or annoying.

I didn't know that Elvis release was in high demand, I saw a copy of it at one point during the day.

I like the Singles soundtrack, but god, I hate that movie. All the characters are terrible and/or annoying.

Singles soundtrack is my favourite along with The Crow, but that film is indeed pretty bad.

Its my favorite soundtrack, and I kind of like the movie. (Always had a thing for Bridget Fonda so that may be part of the reason, plus the cameos from Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and AIC.)

Back
Top Bottom