Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdo478

Babyface
Please recommend some artists or bands based on my current favorites...

favorites (10 out of 10)

The Who
U2
The Killers
The Wallflowers
The 22-20s
The Old 97's

(9/10)

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Stereophonics
Roger Daltrey (solo)

(8/10)

Airborne Toxic Event
The Doors
Longwave
Bob Seger

(7/10)

The Cars
Garbage
G. Harrison (solo)
Jethro Tull
Moody Blues
Tom Petty
The Police
The Rolling Stones
The Talking Heads

(6/10)

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Broken West
CCR
Coldplay
Counting Crows
Cowboy Junkies
Dire Straits (or M. Knopfler solo)
Fleetwood Mac
The Heartless Bastards
Jimi Hendrix
Radiohead

They have a few songs I like (5/10)

The Animals
Arcade Fire
Eric Clapton (or any of the bands he was with)
Joe Cocker
S. Crow
Collective Soul
Cracker
Bob Dylan
Franz Ferdinand
David Gray
Don Henley
Billy Joel
Modest Mouse
Stevie Nicks
The Pretenders
The Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Redwalls
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Steve Winwood (or any of the bands he was with)

Mayhem, aphex twin, sheer terror, Bruce Falcouner, and pluxus.

Pearl Jam, Pixies, The Stone Roses, Soziedad Alkoholika

Based on his/her preferences, most of these recommendations are terrible...ah, wait a second...I get it.

Be warned cdo478. Most aren't taking your request seriously.

But I will.

You seem to lean classic rock. You should give this a spin.

tumblr_lr95sy1MdR1qa1xz9o1_400.jpg

If you like Longwave, I highly recommend Ride, Slowdive, and My Bloody Valentine.

I figured I'd mock his laziness. I'm all about new non-regulars coming in here to discuss non-U2 music (it's always a breath of fresh air when they do so in a way that isn't by coming in and making a " hey check out this band, they sound like U2!" Thread. Those bands are either terrible, sound nothing or too much like U2, or--usually--both). But there's something inherently lazy about saying ok, I like these bands. Now tell me what I should check out. How about you read some threads, click a couple of those ubiquitous YouTube posts, and start there? There's plenty of guitar-based music, often video links are prefaced with overly verbose descriptions that despite their pretentiousness actually describe the songs pretty thoroughly. But you would have to actually READ to do that, and that sounds like it may take too much effort.

The old me would have laughed and asked if those are all the bands you've ever heard, then told you that you had pretty boring (the playlist of your standard classic rock station) bordering on shit taste (collective soul? Haha!) and left.

You guys can burn down London, but I'm gonna just be here walking out into the sunburst street singing my heart out.

Bring me Emma Watson first. And one of those little miniature replicas of the Palace of Westminster.

I figured I'd mock his laziness. I'm all about new non-regulars coming in here to discuss non-U2 music (it's always a breath of fresh air when they do so in a way that isn't by coming in and making a " hey check out this band, they sound like U2!" Thread. Those bands are either terrible, sound nothing or too much like U2, or--usually--both). But there's something inherently lazy about saying ok, I like these bands. Now tell me what I should check out. How about you read some threads, click a couple of those ubiquitous YouTube posts, and start there? There's plenty of guitar-based music, often video links are prefaced with overly verbose descriptions that despite their pretentiousness actually describe the songs pretty thoroughly. But you would have to actually READ to do that, and that sounds like it may take too much effort.

The old me would have laughed and asked if those are all the bands you've ever heard, then told you that you had pretty boring (the playlist of your standard classic rock station) bordering on shit taste (collective soul? Haha!) and left.

Or you could've just given the guy a name of a band you like.

That's kinda mean. The guy signs up, tries to get involved. He's only made 2 posts and you're shitting on him. Maybe he's being lazy or maybe he just figured it was an easy ice breaker. It's harmless

Or you could've just given the guy a name of a band you like.

That's kinda mean. The guy signs up, tries to get involved. He's only made 2 posts and you're shitting on him. Maybe he's being lazy or maybe he just figured it was an easy ice breaker. It's harmless

Have you ever known me to be anything more than an asshole? I have a reputation to uphold. And who said I don't like all those things I listed? That's mostly what I've been listening to lately.

Two artists you say you like a few songs of, Arcade Fire and Modest Mouse, which songs? Have you tried any of their full albums? Both have extremely solid discographies, I'd definitely recommend you look further into both. Let us know the songs, I think there are many of us that would happily make some recommendations in regards to both.

I'd recommend Tame Impala's InnerSpeaker as an easily accessible album for someone with classic rock tastes. Come to think of it, my mom would probably love it.
And Wilco's Summerteeth, where they are starting to leave their Americana leanings. Being There would be the "safer" alternative.

Agent Orange and I agree on basically everything, so I think his picks are great. Tame Impala and Wilco have served me very well over the years.

Your top acts suggest to me that you like feelgood tunes. If this is the case, look no further than Big Star, one of the 70s' great lost acts (that isn't really lost anymore). Every song is a gem. I recommend you save yourself a couple bucks and buy the #1 Record/Radio City double set. 70 minutes of bliss.

Back
Top Bottom