Random Music Talk CXXXI: Interference Finally Gets Its Revenge on Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, will check that out! I've been going down a rabbit hole of live clips lately, kind of hard to believe he doesn't have more respect for his live shows. He was an absolute freak.

What do you think of Cold Heart? I've not heard that record you speak of, but I really, really like Cold Heart, and I don't think it falls into the shitty cash-in category at all.

What do you think of Cold Heart? I've not heard that record you speak of, but I really, really like Cold Heart, and I don't think it falls into the shitty cash-in category at all.

On these post-pandemic legs, he has dropped Indian Sunset and All The Girls Love Alice in favor of playing Cold Heart so I’m not a fan of that medley (hell, play the actual songs it’s comprised of).

Thanks for reading and replying :)

Which album of his should I listen to first?

Tumbleweed Connection is my favorite by a wide margin and I would argue one of the most underappreciated albums ever. Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player is not very ambitious but is full of really great pop songs.

Finally, at some point I randomly heard Victim of Love, his sad attempt at cashing in on disco two years too late. Horrible album. That goes in the lowest tier. The 8 minute Johnny B. Goode cover might be compelling for some.

That late-70s through mid-80s period was definitely in the wilderness but nonetheless there are some very interested cuts sprinkled through those albums, like on A Single Man and The Fox.

Tumbleweed Connection is my favorite by a wide margin and I would argue one of the most underappreciated albums ever. Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player is not very ambitious but is full of really great pop songs.

Tumbleweed is also my favorite, but you can't go wrong with ElMel's Brick Road rec, either. Also in the amazing 70s run we shouldn't overlook Rock of the Westies, which doesn't have any of the big hits but is really solid.

That late-70s through mid-80s period was definitely in the wilderness but nonetheless there are some very interested cuts sprinkled through those albums, like on A Single Man and The Fox.

Too Low For Zero, too

I was team Tumbleweed for a long time but eventually GYBR won me over. They're both fantastic records and his best overall.

I listened to Honky Chateau this morning because of this discussion and had a good time. Forgot how much I enjoyed Salvation.

Yes, include Too Low For Zero to represent the 80’s. He was inconsistent at that point but that album holds up well.

Captain Fantastic is my personal fave. That whole classic period is quite amazing. And if you condense Blue Moves to a single album you’ve got a decent one there too.

Too Low For Zero, too

Yeah I'd see that as his return to a clear sense of purpose, if that makes sense. I'm Still Standing and Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues are all-timers. I will forever associate that second one with my grandmother because it was always on the soft-rock radio station she had on while cooking. That and Another Day in Paradise by Phil Collins.

My thoughts on the incredible Elton John show can be found here.

Couldn't contain it to a few dozen words. Never in a million years would I have assumed Elton John would join my upper echelon list, which is so small (U2, OutKast, Radiohead, Springsteen, LCD Soundsystem).

Finally got to read this.. really really glad you got to see this absolute legend live. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I grew up with my parents playing his 70s stuff constantly.. always loved the songs of course but never saw him live. Then a couple years ago - I guess this would be the start of the Farewell tour - my brother’s mom came all the way from PEI for the concert, had 2 tickets..and he didn’t really care to go. So I went as her date.. and am I ever glad I did. There wasn’t a bad moment that night.. and she had the time of her life with me too as she doesn’t really get out that much to events and I was a dancing singing jumping lunatic song after song. :lol:

Massive respect for his performance and definitely someone every music fan should see live at least once. :up:

No Under The Bridge? I should have warned you they only play it about once every 4 shows

It got a spin at Sydney’s second show, and the first night in Melbourne.

The set list looks incredibly short for a band with such a big catalogue. Glad I didn’t go given it was a weeknight and a big return drive.

i got a dirt-cheap day-of ticket for RHCP last summer and really enjoyed myself, despite the nosebleed side-view seats and only being able to see about half the stage and one of the video boards.

however, in toronto they played a killer version of under the bridge. i was a little disappointed not to also hear scar tissue (my favourite RHCP song) but UtB made up for it. what a moment. the only thing that would have made it better was if the skydome roof had been open.

now, if i had paid several hundred dollars for a decent seat and not gotten to hear either of those songs, yeah i would have been pissed.

Alright so firstly the prices were abominable and I think put people off from the start. Initially, the cheapest tickets, GA, were $210. I got ours for $100 and they ended up as cheap as $79. $210 is a ludicrous amount to pay to see them, and how shit for the people who bought them at that price that they ended up less than half that in the days before the concert.

Stadium/big arena gigs are always better when artists make really good use of the staging, and RHCP’s setup left a bit to be desired. Three tall screens that had some good graphics at times but there was nothing special about the setup and the band had a conventional setup on stage. Pretty hard to see the band unless you were up close, although the screens did a good job of cycling through each of the band members.

They’ve copped pretty negative press on this tour so far, and from fans, all of it directed towards the setlist, and how they play “too many new songs” and “not enough hits” but I don’t think that’s the real issue with this show. The sound, the band’s talents and musicianship aren’t issues at all, they sound fucking fantastic. The first 20 or so minutes was absolutely electric. The way they come out and do an Intro Jam at the top is unmatched and still exciting as hell. Around the World fucking rules. I was losing my shit to Zephyr Song which I’ve always loved.

But it’s kind of here on that it begins to slide. From here it felt really formless and it really isn’t just because there’s a lot of new songs. It’s an issue of structure and song choice. The “classics” that they played on this night were Otherside and Californication and while both of them were hugely well-received, they both just kind of appeared out of nowhere, both surrounded by new songs with very little signposting.

There’s almost zero crowd interaction. What there is is left up to Flea, and he’s an absolute legend, but Kiedis says pretty much nothing for the entire show. So we get 7 new songs, and some of them are fucking great (Eddie, in particular, is outstanding) but a huge part of the reason they fall flat is they just meander from one song to the next, only occasionally punctuated by some instrumental work between Flea and Frusciante, or some solo Chad (which are an absolute highlight). So the whole set just feels kind of aimless, doesn’t feel like a narrative or like there’s any real thought been put into the song choices.

That first 20 minutes, and moments like Eddie, Right on Time, By the Way, the improv jams, prove that RHCP have absolutely still got it, they still sound great, they’re still fucking cool, but this show is so let down by a lack of thought, care, structure, better song choice (not just what they did/didn’t play, but where and how they played it too). It could have been a 10/10 show with some crowd interaction from Kiedis or any of them really telling us about what they’re playing. Imagine if instead of just wandering through with their heads down, tell us shit! They’ve just released two new albums, Frusciante is back for the first time in over a decade, some of these new songs have great stories, tell us about them, make us feel part of the show. Instead it felt like we were just being played to, not with. It also felt like they left 5-10 great songs in the sheds, and I think it went about 1hr40 mins, so it felt really short too. Give it Away is also a kind of shit song and an awful way to end the night.

tl;dr - some storytelling, more jams, more Flea/Chad/Frusciante time, longer set, better song choices and structure and it would have been a fucking fantastic show.

Also, I wasn't shattered about no Under the Bridge. It would have been awesome, but By the Way has always been my favourite record. Not getting Can't Stop was what really upset me.

Also, Post Malone was entertaining and he's got some good songs. I like the heavier stuff. He brought out Angus Stone to play Big Shit Plane which sucked arse of course. I think he needs therapy though.

Continuing the thread of “sour concert experiences” (if we’d like to put it that way), I just saw Sir Rod Stewart for the first and most likely the last time. I was surprised at how decent he sounded (probably because it was his first show of the year) and the first 90 minutes was a good time. But at the 95th minute, according to him, no one in the crowd knew the lyrics to “Baby Jane” (lie, but I guess he assumed that it wasn’t a big hit in this part of the world) and he got a bit annoyed. He ended up skipping a song and we didn’t get an encore. :lol:

For $135, I wish he also played Young Turks, but alas…:shrug:

If you have nothing else to do that night, I would go. At first I wasn’t keen on going, but I eventually gave in since tickets were still available. He can still sing (better than I expected, even if all of the songs were lowered a key or few) and dance/move a bit.

Sung quite a few of his most well-known songs and gave an interview to a local newspaper saying that this tour will probably be his last go-around. So if you’re a FOMO-type of person, I’d go. Don’t regret it even if I felt a bit shortchanged at the end.

Meanwhile I went to see Andrew McMahon (Something Corporate, Jack’s Mannequin) do a solo show and had a great night. Feels like it’s the same crowd coming back every 3 years. Had the vibe of a group of old friends singing along with the pianist as he belts out some favourites. He’s even put Konstantine back in the set after two decades. Good show, looking forward to the whole band coming back later this year if he keeps to his word.

Best break-up albums please. Note, we've had a healthy break-up, so vindictive stuff won't land with me.
All Things Must Pass (don't think it's commonly thought of as a "breakup" album but I've always kinda seen it as one)
Blood on the Tracks
A Moon Shaped Pool

All Things Must Pass (don't think it's commonly thought of as a "breakup" album but I've always kinda seen it as one)
Blood on the Tracks
A Moon Shaped Pool

seconding Blood on the Tracks - it's far and away the best breakup album of all time, and it really only has one vindictive/mean song (Idiot Wind). it helped me massively getting through my divorce.

i agree with GAF about ATMP. it's a very good recommendation though only a few songs off the album I'd consider truly "breakup" songs - the title track, Wah-Wah, and Isn't it a Pity are all-time classic breakup songs. there are a couple songs that someone going through a breakup may not want to listen to though, such as If Not For You and What is Life. cobbler may want to skip those.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom