Random Music Talk CXXXI: Interference Finally Gets Its Revenge on Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Latest Metallica single "Screaming Suicide" from their upcoming album is pretty damn good.
These guys are just a couple years younger than U2, but they are putting out music that sounds like guys in their 20s and 30s are making it. Different genre of rock to be sure, but they haven't slowed with age.

Latest Metallica single "Screaming Suicide" from their upcoming album is pretty damn good.
These guys are just a couple years younger than U2, but they are putting out music that sounds like guys in their 20s and 30s are making it. Different genre of rock to be sure, but they haven't slowed with age.

I was going to mention this too. Really impressive stuff.

I don't think we've ever talked about Roy Orbison in here, but that guy has some great songs.

Ehh. It's like they've regressed. The level of sophistication on Master of Puppets is so far beyond what they've been doing for the last 20+ years it's ridiculous. Not sure how they could record that in their 20s but as older men sound so much more basic.

By contrast, Iron Maiden's work has become so much more complex over the years than the more direct, catchy anthems they were recording in the 1980s. It's less fun, but they seem to be something more akin to jazz or orchestral music, pursuing something more than pushing the obvious pleasure buttons.

Ehh. It's like they've regressed. The level of sophistication on Master of Puppets is so far beyond what they've been doing for the last 20+ years it's ridiculous. Not sure how they could record that in their 20s but as older men sound so much more basic.

By contrast, Iron Maiden's work has become so much more complex over the years than the more direct, catchy anthems they were recording in the 1980s. It's less fun, but they seem to be something more akin to jazz or orchestral music, pursuing something more than pushing the obvious pleasure buttons.

If they’re both making music for themselves at this point, I far prefer Maiden’s tastes. I liked the previous 2 Metallica albums but have heard nothing that hooked me off the the new one.

Speaking of guitar, I've been listening to the album Mexican Moon by Concrete Blonde (1993). And besides Johnette's voice, which is incredible, I can't get over how much excellent guitar is in these songs. And I miss that for a lot of modern stuff that's out there.

Which album of his should I listen to first?

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is the big one.

Then for me there's a tier below that with Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across the Water, Honky Chateau, and Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy. I really like his self titled too.

Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player and Caribou are from his classic era but I find them fairly inconsistent and not as essential as the albums listed above. I've heard Songs From the West Coast as well because I loved This Train Don't Stop There Anymore as a kid; it's a tasteful, enjoyable late career effort.

Finally, at some point I randomly heard Victim of Love, his sad attempt at cashing in on disco two years too late. Horrible album. That goes in the lowest tier. The 8 minute Johnny B. Goode cover might be compelling for some.

Back
Top Bottom