Random Music Talk CXXXI: Interference Finally Gets Its Revenge on Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best break-up albums please. Note, we've had a healthy break-up, so vindictive stuff won't land with me.
Blue. Not strictly a breakup album so much as it is about processing all of the highs and lows involved in loving another person, but yeah it's perfect after a breakup. The Last Time I Saw Richard will probably destroy you right now.

There's no better time to listen to The Idler Wheel. One of my favorite albums of all time and it's loaded with great writing about how painful love can be.

Sea Change is another really obvious one. It's hard to listen to outside of the context of a struggling relationship because it's so miserable.

Jackson C Frank's self titled album has Blues Run the Game and You Never Wanted Me on it and that's enough, but the whole thing is sad and great.

And if you haven't heard Car Seat Headrest's Twin Fantasy, now is the time. Listen to the 2018 version and get the lyrics out.

Take your hands off your neck and
Hold on to the ghost of my body
You know that good lives make bad stories
You can text me
When punching mattresses gets old
Don't think it'll always be this way
Not comforted by anything I say
We were wrecks before we crashed into each other

I can't listen to that album anymore, but the woman who fucked up your life didn't have a Car Seat Headrest tattoo so you can probably still enjoy it [emoji1745]

Last edited:
I am ready to say it, Strangers When We Meet is officially on my Bowie Rushmore.

In no order, A New Career in a New Town / "Heroes" / Strangers When We Meet / Teenage Wildlife

I am ready to say it, Strangers When We Meet is officially on my Bowie Rushmore.

In no order, A New Career in a New Town / "Heroes" / Strangers When We Meet / Teenage Wildlife
New Career is an instrumental and I love that you love it so much but I could never personally bring myself to rank an instrumental that high when we're talking about a pop artist who usually takes vocals. Give me a Bowie song that actually has Bowie on it, please.

Just ask Headache.
I at least got 16 seconds of Under The Bridge.

I may have left early if they played the kind of setlist they're playing now when I saw them - but the second new album wasn't out yet and they played a ton of hits.

I also went mostly to see The Strokes, who opened, so RHCP was a bonus. And the tickets were a "trade" with some friends - we got their extra RHCP tickets, they got our extra Killers tickets. So it felt as if I only paid for The Killers, at least in my own diluted mind

Last edited:

New Career is an instrumental and I love that you love it so much but I could never personally bring myself to rank an instrumental that high when we're talking about a pop artist who usually takes vocals. Give me a Bowie song that actually has Bowie on it, please.

OMG fuck off. No way!!!!! Here I was thinking it had vocals for the past decade. How fucking embarrassing

This must be the most "friggin'" post ever, and it has some stiff competition.

Besides the great new Paramore, I really absolutely adored the new Anna B Savage album. I really liked how it expands her sound from her debut and delves into a broader range of emotions. Her songs and vocals remains so distinctive and operatic in the best way. The title track's an early favorite, along with "Say My Name" and "The Orange." But there wasn't a single song here that I didn't enjoy. Highly recommend it!

Proud parenting moment. My 13 year old daughter was in the shower and I heard familiar music. Sure enough she's having to Monoliths by Lotus Plaza. :heart:

I adore that record. Did she find it through you?

I happened to mention them before I went on vacation last week because she's been listening to similar sounding stuff, just got back yesterday, so I guess she actually listened to me for once haha.

I wish I'd fucking listened to Harry's House before he finished his two-night stop in Melbourne. I'd have gone to see him for sure. This album is great.

Revisited this gem today:

Best drums ever recorded on a late night performance? Absolutely incredible sound and feel. And there's a chunk missing from the cymbal!

I’ve got a recommendation for people, Toby Martin. I saw him open for Paul Dempsey (Something for Kate lead singer and one of my favourite musicians ever) a couple weeks ago and I really enjoyed his set, so I checked out his solo record, I Felt the Valley Lifting, which is a delight. It’s a mix of folk and indie, somewhat in the style perhaps of Neutral Milk Hotel, in that it can be fucking annoying as hell and really terrible but I feel like he pulls it off by not staying in that annoying lane for the entire length of the songs, and the band around him is excellent. The song below is a good example. The lyrics are quite interesting, the record is largely written from ho-hum experiences of living in a small British village, and at times they’re so earnest that it takes you out of the song, but he does pull it off for the most part. He was very funny and sweet live. The most interesting part of all of this for me was I googled him when I got home, and it turns out he’s the lead singer of Youth Group, who had that gigantic hit with their cover of Forever Young 15 or so years ago.

I listened to the debut of Brooklyn guitarist and songwriter Miss Grit this weekend and it's absolutely fantastic. Likely to be one of my favorite debuts of the year. They've cultivated a memorable vision built on unexpected mixes supernatural synths, exhilarating guitar, and poised vocals. This is one of those albums that's the full package - reminds me a bit of St. Vincent and her full-on transformations for each release cycle.

Also, what does everyone here think of the new Gorillaz?

On a separate note, Big Thief - whom I saw last night - remain as prolific as ever. It's crazy to think that they are debuting great new songs like it's nothing while they tour their long and incredibly diverse double album (which, if I think about it, might be my favorite double album of the century). And that's three years after releasing two great albums in the same freaking year, and with Adrienne releasing really good solo albums in between. Crazy.

Wow, what a fucking show.

I went in excited, cos I do really like Pavement (although my knowledge extends only to Crooked Rain and Quarantine the Past) but it was another gig that blew my expectations out of the water.

Some other bits first... got stinged on parking, $16.52. The Palais Theatre is also in St Kilda, so completely on the other side of town for me, although I don't mind driving. It is a beautiful venue, but it is truely a theatre, meaning it's all seated. I was on the upper level and pretty immediately wished I'd gotten a ticket on the floor level right up close. Not sure how other people feel, whether you're younger or older (or perhaps not able-bodied), but I fucking haaaaaate sitting at gigs. (There's only one gig I've been to in my entire life that I was happy to sit for and that was Tim Hecker, who played in a small bar near my place, and he just played like four drone notes for an hour. It was at an all-standing venue, and everyone ended up sitting on the floor.) I'd have loved to stand in my seat the whole time but I only feel comfortable doing that at gigs where heaps of people stand up (it happened at Phoebe Bridgers thankfully - about 15 seconds into the first song and most people were standing). I got up at the end of a few songs and cheered and during Gold Soundz and Range Life I had to stand for bits and shred some air guitar. So, that, combined with the fact that I was a fair way back and up from the stage meant I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have if I was done on the floor.

Anyway, onto the amazing gig. I LOVE them now. Like, they've completely elevated themselves to a new level in my eyes. I'd love to hear from people who've seen them, and how they compare on this tour to that reunion tour in 2010 and to their active days. Cos last night, they were fucking incredible. They sounded phenomenal and their collective stage presence is a joy to watch, as I'll get into more below.

I loved how they came out on stage. They opened with a track called Our Singer, not a great song imo, but it started with the main drummer coming out (which I felt certain was a younger black or biracial dude, but all the info I can see suggests it's their longtime drummer Steve West, so don't know what the fuck is wrong with me) first, and then Stephen walks out and waves and starts playing the song. As it builds, the rest of the band come out during the song, waving and smiling and hyping up the crowd, it was really cool. It was one of a number of moments from them where they just felt cool, chill, authentic, low-fi, a bit ramshackle, laid back, I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but it was really cool.

Frontwards was fucking sick, and it's at this juncture that I'll just say how fucking blown away I was with the guitar playing. Like one of the two main reasons I've loved the band since I got Quarantine the Past from Amoeba on my America trip with family in 2010 is because the guitar is just so good (the other being Malkmus' vocals, which are just so unique, again not quite sure how to describe them, but they've got this laidback, warm, tone to them that feel really heartfelt, but then he can also really scream and go to another register without breaking too) and Frontwards is a great example.

Next were a few tracks that I didn't know, all from Wowee Zowee I see, Kennel District was probably my favourite of these. Then came the classic Shady Lane, this was one of a number of moments were the crowd lost their shit during songs, which I really enjoyed, and enjoyed being part of... this is a band that has retired twice, hasn't released new music in nearly a quarter century, and the theatre was absolutely packed, with heaps of people singing lots of the words or cheering wildly when certain songs started up. I love how Stephen and the band really play up the "all we/I want is a shady line" lines, so fun. I adore this song man, so many memorable lanes...

"You're so beautiful to look at when you cry / Freeze, don't move / You've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life"
"I'm an island of such great complexity"
"Tell, me off / In the hotel lobby right in front of all the bellboys and the over-friendly conceriege"

I particularly love how Malkmus pulls off those two final lines in the verses, the'yre both one line that go way over what feels like an acceptable line and you can hear it and feel it, but it sounds great and it really elevates the song too. Interesting they don't do the J vs S part, not that it matters or is needed, just found it interesting. I'd be interested to know the J vs S backstory if anyone knows.

Stereo was the first song of the night where I was like yeah, this gig is fucking great. It's one of their 'silly' songs, for lack of a better word, in that it's got some funky shit in it, like the opening line, "you'll just have to wait", the way Malkmus sings the ramrod line sounds so sarcastic, and then the Geddy Lee stuff. The chorus is fucking mega, I was belting it out loud. So cathartic.

I'll take this juncture to talk about Bob Nastanovich. This man is absolute chaos. Didn't know much about him going in, save for that he's a member of the band, but he's absolutely insane. He sits off to the side with a drum kit and some synthesisers, he's got a suitcase of shit of shit behind him, and at any given moment he'll just get up, grab a tambourine and start wandering around the stage belting it. But that's like a quarter of his thing. He does all the weird little ad libs "you'll just have to wait", "I know him, and he does". In between songs, he's often yelling random shit. After one song, "we've got a special ping pong ball giveaway tonight" and starts throwing ping pong balls into the crowd. After another song, "it's time for the soap giveaway" and starts asking who's filthy and throwing them bars of soap. At one point he disappears into the crowd and it takes three or four minutes for him to find his way back onto the stage, after the next song. He also plays a rapper's hype man role during a few songs, taking the mic and wandering around repeating the end of lines under Stephen, and at other times taking the lead and screaming as if he's at a metal gig, like on Stereo, Embassy Row, Two States and Unfair.

Overall, their stage presence is amazing. Spiral Stairs (again, a backstory I'd like to know about) is also really engaged with the crowd, sings a few of the songs, and is so good on guitar. Scott West also does a fair bit of chat, as does Stephen, and they're always wandering around, looking like they're having a fucking ball. Stephen's stage presence is terrific, I like that he's off on stage left, he's definitely less extroverted than Stairs and Bob, but he's quite funny and I just really enjoy watching his physicality... plays guitar behind himself sometimes, throws it around, plays some songs on the floor, and seems to really enjoy the moments where Spiral Stairs or Bob are singing... during Painted Soldiers which is a Stairs song he just plays guitar and dance/walks in patterns around the stage. They've also got a touring member on keys, Rebecca Cole, she was great. Her and the bassist mostly just play music.

Gold Soundz is one of my favourite songs ever and though I loved hearing it, it wasn't one of my favourite performances of the night. Picks up a bit during the instrumental middle eight (is that what that's called?) and I got up and played air guitar but it was probably one of the few tracks of the night that didn't feel as good as the studio version. Still, what a joy to hear those iconic lines, "So drunk / in the August sun / and you're the kinda girl I like..."

Perfume-V was another song I didn't know, was cool, some funny stuff from Bob with the background vocals.

Then came Grounded, another of my favourite songs of all time, it has surely got to be up there with the very best alt rock (are they alt rock, indie rock or lo-fi?) songs ever written. That riff is absolute fucking magic, and Malkmus' vocals and lyrics just make me melt. I couldn't quite tell if it was Stephen or Stairs playing the mega guitar riffs, either way, Malkmus was throwing himself around and it was magic to watch. I sorely wish I'd been closer in because I wanted to get the feeling of being swallowed up by the guitar, so from my vantage point I didn't lose myself in the song as much as I wished I had, but if anything it's given me even more love for the song. The final crescendo is otherworldly.

Embassy Row is another one of those heavier rockers that was fucking heaps of fun, Bob really sent it during this one. Two States was fun as hell, and I really enjoy the levity of their pro-NoCal songs. Hadn't heard Major Leagues before, thought it was a great song. Unfair ruled, and then they launched into Range Life, such a great song and it translated well live. And so much fun hearing the Smashing Pumpkins/Stone Temple Pilots verse live. Amazing. The crowd screaming during "don't worry / we're in no hurry". Stop Breathin' came next, the second half of that was fucking aaaaaaawesome. So loud and heavy. The setlist says they played their biggest hit, Harness Your Hopes, next. They playing Starlings of the Slipstream around here, I enjoyed it.

The penultimate song before the encore was perhaps my favourite part of the night. Setlist says it was Type Slowly, it went for about 10 minutes and the musicianship on show during an extended instrumental break was phenomenal. The guitaring, the drumming, it was absolute magic. Love to know if this is a common thing and if it was indeed Type Slowly.

Summer Babe closed the main set, it was so warmly received and so well played, great song. They got a very long round of claps and cheers before they came out for the encore. They fucked around for a bit and Stephen started hanging shit on Foo Fighters, singing a few lines of some of their songs, including Everlong, a cappella, and was like "his lyrics are worse than mine", which got the crowd laughing. Spit on a Stranger was good, then a Spiral Stairs song, during which Malkmus did that dance/walk around the stage, so cool to see. "Time to cry", one of them announced as they launched into the beautiful Here.

By this point, it had been a 10/10 show and I was like, how are they gonna end this, and then as they started Cut Your Hair the crowd just went fucking nuts and they all looked like they were having such a good song. And I stood up and shredded air guitar to high heaven during that solo/middle eight part/whatever it's called. Such a joyous moment, actually this was my favourite part of the night. They then closed with a cover, the setlist says, I found the original and it sounds nothing like what they played although I recognised the line "makes me glad that I'm not dead".

And then that was it. They slowly left stage, so appreciative of the crowd, Malkmus and Stairs spending a fair bit of time thanking the front-left pocket of fans, Scott West taking a pic of the crowd. A fucking fantastic show, and I blasted Crooked Rain all the way home. The only thing setlist-wise that could have made the show better for me would have been Box Elder and Fillmore Jive, sadly they didn't play either. I would absolutely go and see them again if they were playing another Melbourne show, sadly they aren't. They seem to really change up their setlists, both songs played and order, from show to show, too. I feel very grateful to have seen them, and I hope I get another chance in the future. :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Tonight I saw Bon Iver and for once I don't have the words. Maybe the second best concert I've seen behind my first U2 show in 2006. Spiritual and healing.

Back
Top Bottom