Random Music Talk CXXXI: Interference Finally Gets Its Revenge on Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How we all feeling about the new Blur album? I think it’s a great, if low-key, affair. Really solid songwriting throughout and their best work since the 90s. I think it’s both a proper follow-up to 13 but also a more straightforward, aged take on Britpop.

I absolutely love it. Yes, a little downbeat but it's not trying to be as weird as The Magic Whip.

I actually think Think Tank is such an achievement considering it's largely without Graham Coxon. So I'd need more time with this new one to say it's better.

Well, at least you're aware you're probably underrating some tracks. Bad Sneakers is Dan pantheon, Daddy and Chain Lightning are both great bluesier experiments, and Movies is just so fun.

Yeah, Everything is the weakest one here, and I'd rate Alive lower as you did. But Altamira and Stranger are both 10s for me, the latter has that great dueling guitar/horn section in the outro that just kills.

Thanks, was waiting for your replies! What do you think of The Fez? I've been playing it non-stop since the weekend.

The 90s teenager in me is quite upset by this.

I guess middle aged me is too.

God, she could sing. And she was right.

She had a tough go of it in this lifetime. I hope she felt some joy and peace from time to time. Rest in peace, Sinead.

A week after she ripped up the Pope picture on SNL Joe Pesci hosted SNL and said if he had been there he would have given her such a smack.

Nine years later Pope John Paul II apologized for the systemic sexual abuse perpetrated by Catholic clergy.

She spoke up about the truth and paid a big personal and career price that she never should have paid. She was courageous, the Catholic church was not.

A week after she ripped up the Pope picture on SNL Joe Pesci hosted SNL and said if he had been there he would have given her such a smack.

Nine years later Pope John Paul II apologized for the systemic sexual abuse perpetrated by Catholic clergy.

She spoke up about the truth and paid a big personal and career price that she never should have paid. She was courageous, the Catholic church was not.

True dat! Sinatra allegedly said he'd kick her ass. Sinead went through Hell.

True dat! Sinatra allegedly said he'd kick her ass. Sinead went through Hell.

I was reading lots yesterday and apparently this was in response to her refusing to play shows if the national anthem was played first.

Also, huge admiration for Kris Kristofferson: watched footage yesterday of him supporting the shit out of her at the 30th anniversary of Bob Dylan concert.

awkward-oh-my-god.gif

This Week in Freudenfreude: This Is the End?

Here's some news that really ought to be getting more attention than it is. A new report from UNAIDS suggests that the end might be in sight when it comes to halting the spread of AIDS.

We don't want to be too Pollyanna-ish, so let's actually start with the caveats. First, activist groups like UNAIDS tend to be overly optimistic, because extreme hope tends to drive things forward. Second, the prediction is not that AIDS will be ended, per se, but that it will stop propagating (that is to say, there will still be tens of millions of carriers, even if the prediction comes to pass). Third, human societies have shown a propensity, when it comes to epidemic and pandemic diseases, to take things to the precipice of victory, and then to relax their defenses. See, for example, the recent resurgence in cases of measles.

Now, with the Debbie Downer stuff out of the way, we will share the year by which UNAIDS says the disease might be defeated. It's... 2030. That's staggering; it's less than 7 years away. And while the folks at UNAIDS might be optimistic, they do have data to back their general narrative. The target, when it comes to effectively halting the spread of an epidemic disease, is described as 95-95-95. That's at least 95% of the people who have HIV knowing their HIV-positive status, at least 95% of the people who know they're HIV-positive being on antiretroviral treatment, and at least 95% of people who are on treatment being virally suppressed. Those benchmarks have been reached in most of the industrialized world, and now they've been reached in 8 different African nations, while another 16 African nations are almost there. Success in Africa matters quite a bit in this fight, since the vast majority of HIV-positive humans (well over two-thirds) live on that continent.

We pass this along because the lesson is obvious. When the world's leaders put their political differences aside, and work together to solve crises, then big-time progress can result. Considering the American response, since this is a U.S.-politics-focused site, after all, Ronnie Reagan put his head in the sand when it came to the AIDS epidemic. But George H.W. Bush took it seriously, and the three presidents after Bush took it very seriously. Indeed, the efforts of the George W. Bush administration to combat AIDS in Africa, most notably the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, may be the single biggest feather in the cap of Bush the Younger.

Success like this naturally gives hope about what might be done if the world in general, and if the Republicans and Democrats in particular, can have a meeting of the minds on some of the existential crises facing the world today. Like, oh, we don't know... maybe climate change, perhaps? Just spitballing here.

Have a good weekend, all! (Z)

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2023/Items/Jul28-6.html

443413967_1140x641.png

Last edited:
There's a Steely Dan podcast (Gaucho Amigos) that started a few months ago, and the guest this week is the composer/main instrumentalist of Fievel is Glauque. I never got around to hearing one of their whole albums, so it appears that now is finally the time.

I'm assuming God's Trashmen is the one to start with.

Also, I don't remember if there's a separate thread for her, but this new Carly Rae album SLAPS. A considerable improvement over the last one, and I think this feels like a bit of a new direction, too.

It's more of a long essay of Pink Floyd rather than a proper review, certainly long winded and not really explaining the rating. It sounds like Money might be the reason for the 9.3, but seriously splitting hairs there.

Also, I don't remember if there's a separate thread for her, but this new Carly Rae album SLAPS. A considerable improvement over the last one, and I think this feels like a bit of a new direction, too.

Fully agree! I'm really loving this album more than anything by Carly Rae since the EMOTION era. Really fantastic, fun songs.

Mofo or UiU... I'm coming to Salt Lake City. Likely on the 23rd and 24th of October. Would love to hang out with you both!

Hell yeah. Would love to meet up. It might be the Jazz first home game on the 24th or 25th. NBA hasn't released the schedule yet, but opening night is Oct 24th.

Back
Top Bottom