Random Music Talk CXXXI: Interference Finally Gets Its Revenge on Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No Pink Floyd? Back in college we had a ritual where once a week we'd sit in one of our friend's dorm rooms with the lights out, on various substances, and listen to Meddle straight through, no talking allowed.

I imagine TUF would be a pleasurable experience as well in terms of texture and comfort.
I have Fearless and See Emily Play on that playlist I posted. Meddle is a terrific album to relax to and would probably sound great on various substances. Obscured By Clouds as well, for that matter. That era was so dreamy.

I've never watched Live at Pompeii, which is a huge oversight on my part. That could be really compelling during a drug session.

"live at pompeii" is really two very different films - half of it is the concert and half of it is "the making of dark side of the moon". they're better watched separately, imo.

almost all pink floyd songs are way too slow or dark for me on MDMA. i'd prefer to listen to something with a consistent beat that doesn't insist on cutting me into little pieces.

Listened to the new Julie Byrne and Anohni & the Johnsons records back to back this morning, and while I am emotionally devastated, my faith in music has been restored.

"live at pompeii" is really two very different films - half of it is the concert and half of it is "the making of dark side of the moon". they're better watched separately, imo.

almost all pink floyd songs are way too slow or dark for me on MDMA. i'd prefer to listen to something with a consistent beat that doesn't insist on cutting me into little pieces.

:doh:

i wrote that post when i was quite drunk last night and clearly forgot about songs like Cymbaline, Granchester Meadows, Green is the Colour, and Us and Them, to name just a few which are especially *fantastic* on substances like those mentioned. actually pretty much all of Meddle is great for that, aside from OOTD (that song freaks me the fuck out when i'm high lol).

I had lunch with a friend yesterday and after discussing some of the drugs we've been talking about in here, she told me about her first and only LSD experience. The person she took it with insisted on playing DSotM :doh: she freaked out and now she never wants to try LSD again, which is totally understandable considering the circumstances.

On the Run is anxiety inducing enough sober, couldn't imagine it on acid. Plus, the entire album is one long existential crisis. Sounds like a bad trip waiting to happen.

i actually VERY highly recommend Led Zeppelin when tripping - especially if you make a playlist first of tracks like Ten Years Gone, Going to California, Tangerine, The Rain Song, Thank You, That's The Way, Since I've Been Loving You, etc.

i'd opt for that playlist over Floyd almost every time.

Last edited:
Zeppelin is a really good call. Their music is produced to perfection. Outside of being generally upbeat and uplifting, it just feels amazing to listen to, which is one reason why it has aged so well. The Song Remains the Same is one of the ultimate serotonin boost songs for me.

On a completely different musical track, this has been one of my favorite songs to vibe out to lately:

I could loop this for hours. Whole album is superb but this track in particular takes me back to the best DJ Screw material.

I like the idea of taking acid again one day, but my only experience in 2013, handed half a tab by a stranger at an intense bush doof, was incredibly traumatic. The first hour probably still to this day the best hour of my life, the next 12 not so much. Didn't know about set and setting. I think Dark Side could be fun, as long as you had the right people and setting and you felt safe going in.

Also, Cymbaline is on my Floyd Rushmore. Such a beautiful song.

Records I've purchased physically in the past week: boygenius' The Record and Anohni & The Johnson's My Back Was a Bridge for You to Cross.

bush doof.

are-you-fuckin-with-me-bad.gif

I just listened to a recent Mark Kozelek song to see if he's still as awful as he was four years ago and yes, he most certainly is. Makes listening to Benji, one of my favourite albums (although a handful of tracks don't hold up as well as you think), very difficult.

I only buy physical records that I really like these days. I haven't listened super closer but like a good handful of the songs. Just fucking crushing that it has a song called "Emily I'm Sorry", I did not need that.

i actually VERY highly recommend Led Zeppelin when tripping - especially if you make a playlist first of tracks like Ten Years Gone, Going to California, Tangerine, The Rain Song, Thank You, That's The Way, Since I've Been Loving You, etc.

i'd opt for that playlist over Floyd almost every time.

Half of those are in my Zeppelin Top 10: Ten Years Gone, The Rain Song, That's The Way, Since I've Been Loving You. And those others are phenomenal too.

For a band that's known for their powerful bombast, I really love their mellower work as they put out some of the most gorgeous rock ballads.

I only buy physical records that I really like these days. I haven't listened super closer but like a good handful of the songs. Just fucking crushing that it has a song called "Emily I'm Sorry", I did not need that.

I can't shake the feeling that they threw some harmonies on leftovers from each of their latest albums and called it a record. But I do think it's cool of Bridgers to use her cultural moment to help her friends cash in.

Saw the Foo Fighters last night and wow is Dave Grohl such a great performer. One of the best concerts I've ever seen.

I found this thread to be an interesting and depressing read, and I wonder if any of our resident collectors have experienced the effects of these changes:

[TWEET]1680798692066902016[/TWEET]

Katy Lied. 7.
Feels like a record of songs that I’d grow to rate a little higher should I listen to them over time. Doctor Wu is comfortably the best track. Bad Sneakers and Any World have fantastic choruses that elevate them. Black Friday slaps. Interesting that there’s Gold Teeth II and then Chain Lightning starts off sounding exactly the same as Pretzel Logic.
- Black Friday 8
- Bad Sneakers 8
- Rose Darling 6
- Daddy Don’t Live in that New York City No More 7
- Doctor Wu 10
- Everyone’s Gone to the Movies 7
- Your Gold Teeth II 7
- Chain Lightning 7
- Any World (That I’m Welcome To) 8
- Throw Back the Little Ones 6

Royal Scam. 8. This album is fucking great, will probably become a 9 to me over time. Wild to think that people could listen to Charlemagne and be like “omg Champion”. Sign in Stranger is fantastic, The Royal Scam is also brilliant, so well put together, creates a real atmosphere, although it kind of ends the record leaving me wanting more. One of my favourite moments is the guitar that leads into the verses on Everything You Did, but then the verses are quite different tonally and I was bummed that that guitar didn’t go anywhere special. The Fez was probably the biggest surprise. Loved that track. Loved the minimal lyrics, it’s almost a dance song, you could turn that into a great club track.
- Kid Charlemagne 10
- The Caves of Altamira 8
- Don’t Take Me Alive 7
- Sign in Stranger 9
- The Fez 10
- Green Earrings 8
- Haitian Divorce 8
- Everything You Did 7 love the guitar that leads into the verses, which it went somewhere
- The Royal Scam 9

Royal Scam. 8. This album is fucking great, will probably become a 9 to me over time. Wild to think that people could listen to Charlemagne and be like “omg Champion”. Sign in Stranger is fantastic, The Royal Scam is also brilliant, so well put together, creates a real atmosphere, although it kind of ends the record leaving me wanting more. One of my favourite moments is the guitar that leads into the verses on Everything You Did, but then the verses are quite different tonally and I was bummed that that guitar didn’t go anywhere special. The Fez was probably the biggest surprise. Loved that track. Loved the minimal lyrics, it’s almost a dance song, you could turn that into a great club track.
- Kid Charlemagne 10
- Don’t Take Me Alive 7
- Sign in Stranger 9
- The Fez 10
- Green Earrings 8
- Haitian Divorce 8
- Everything You Did 7 love the guitar that leads into the verses, which it went somewhere
- The Royal Scam 9

How we all feeling about the new Blur album? I think it’s a great, if low-key, affair. Really solid songwriting throughout and their best work since the 90s. I think it’s both a proper follow-up to 13 but also a more straightforward, aged take on Britpop.

Katy Lied. 7.
Feels like a record of songs that I’d grow to rate a little higher should I listen to them over time. Doctor Wu is comfortably the best track. Bad Sneakers and Any World have fantastic choruses that elevate them. Black Friday slaps. Interesting that there’s Gold Teeth II and then Chain Lightning starts off sounding exactly the same as Pretzel Logic.
- Black Friday 8
- Bad Sneakers 8
- Rose Darling 6
- Daddy Don’t Live in that New York City No More 7
- Doctor Wu 10
- Everyone’s Gone to the Movies 7
- Your Gold Teeth II 7
- Chain Lightning 7
- Any World (That I’m Welcome To) 8
- Throw Back the Little Ones 6

Well, at least you're aware you're probably underrating some tracks. Bad Sneakers is Dan pantheon, Daddy and Chain Lightning are both great bluesier experiments, and Movies is just so fun.

- Kid Charlemagne 10
- Don’t Take Me Alive 7
- Sign in Stranger 9
- The Fez 10
- Green Earrings 8
- Haitian Divorce 8
- The Royal Scam 9

Yeah, Everything is the weakest one here, and I'd rate Alive lower as you did. But Altamira and Stranger are both 10s for me, the latter has that great dueling guitar/horn section in the outro that just kills.

This was making the rounds last week, and insight into their recording process from their longtime producer that's both fascinating and ridiculous in terms of the perfectionism. God bless him for saving one of their best tracks:

Back
Top Bottom