Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2022, 01:35 AM   #1
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,433
Local Time: 11:22 AM
Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf



He's much maligned down under for this atrocious car crash of a performance, but, Meat Loaf was a legend and Bat Out of Hell an absolute masterpiece - it is actually the best selling album of all time in this country.

May he rest in peace.
__________________

cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:40 AM   #2
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,433
Local Time: 11:22 AM
Also: __________________

cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:41 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 26,403
Local Time: 08:22 PM
This is just an awful thread title.
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:52 AM   #4
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,433
Local Time: 11:22 AM
Anyone is welcome to make an alternative.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:39 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 32,591
Local Time: 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
This is just an awful thread title.
Worst ever?
Certainly in the running.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:54 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,852
Local Time: 06:22 PM
I hate this.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:28 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,587
Local Time: 06:22 PM
I should have taken care of this last night and made a thread.

I mean, we're all to blame here for letting the Australian scourge strike once again.

Of course, my own title probably would have been the insensitive "I'll Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Get Vaxxed)".
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:14 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
HeartlandGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 7,096
Local Time: 06:22 PM
Now we're stuck with this for the next 994 posts or so...

My sig oth and I were reading last night about Meat Loaf saying, "If I die, I die" re: his stance against masking and vaccine mandates.
HeartlandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:18 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 32,591
Local Time: 09:22 PM
We could start a countdown.
993
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:43 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,852
Local Time: 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl View Post
Now we're stuck with this for the next 994 posts or so...

My sig oth and I were reading last night about Meat Loaf saying, "If I die, I die" re: his stance against masking and vaccine mandates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I should have taken care of this last night and made a thread.

I mean, we're all to blame here for letting the Australian scourge strike once again.

Of course, my own title probably would have been the insensitive "I'll Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Get Vaxxed)".
Would've been better than still harping on about a mediocre halftime show a decade after the fact.

Honestly, he deserves to be mocked for the Covid stuff. What a sad and miserable end to the story. I'll continue to love him and mourn him, but that took some wind out of my sails both yesterday and into today.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:48 PM   #11
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,433
Local Time: 11:22 AM
I didn’t know about that, how sad. And makes me a bit angry too.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:32 PM   #12
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,433
Local Time: 11:22 AM
Wouldn't mind non-Aussies' take on this. Triple J is a youth-oriented radio station here in Australia, and every year they run the Hottest 100, a poll on the most popular songs of the year prior. This year more than 2.5 million people voted, so it's hugely credible; that's about 10% of our entire population. Each year it causes lots of debate. "Too many Australian artists." "So many shit songs." "It was great in the 90s when there was actual bands in it." "That song is too mainstream." So on and so forth. People get really passionate about it, whether they're pro or anti the countdown. (It has also historically taken place on 'Australia Day', our public holiday, which is on the 26th of January and recognises the day that European settlers landed in Australia; thankfully, though our pathetic governments refuse to change 'Australia' Day to a day that doesn't celebrate the genocide of our first people, Triple J moved the countdown to the Saturday before the public holiday.)

It's also important to note that Triple J does a series called 'Like a Version'. They get artists in, most often Australian, (although sometimes not, Denzel Curry's cover of Bulls on Parade is five of the best minutes of music you'll ever hear) to do covers every Friday of other popular songs. These 'Like a Version' (get it?) covers are extremely popular, to the point where artists often break through on the back of them, and they always feature in the countdown, despite debate about whether they're legitimate (although they all get official releases). In this year's Hottest 100, there were four Like a Versions, including Beatles and Pink Floyd covers. (There's also a new EDM version of Down Under, Ashley! Featuring Colin Hay.

Anyway, this year, it was quite remarkably won by The Wiggles, doing a cover of Tame Impala's Elephant, mashed up with Fruit Salad. Now, is this the song of the year? No, not even remotely close. But I was stoked it won, because most people the world over have loved The Wiggles at some point and the clip is really sweet. But it's caused a huge amount of debate.



The list:
 

1. The Wiggles – Elephant [Like A Version]
2. The Kid LAROI, Justin Bieber – STAY
3. Spacey Jane – Lots Of Nothing
4. Olivia Rodrigo – good 4 u
5. Billie Eilish – Happier Than Ever
6. Gang of Youths – the angel of 8th ave.
7. Doja Cat – Kiss Me More {ft. SZA}
8. Lil Nas X & Jack Harlow – INDUSTRY BABY
9. RÜFÜS DU SOL – On My Knees
10. Lil Nas X – MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)
11. Tom Cardy – H.Y.C.Y.BH
12. Spacey Jane – Lunchtime
13. Olivia Rodrigo – drivers license
14. Lime Cordiale & Idris Elba – Apple Crumble
15. Vance Joy – Missing Piece
16. Sam Fender – Seventeen Going Under
17. Tom Cardy – Mixed Messages
18. The Jungle Giants – Love Signs
19. RÜFÜS DU SOL – Alive (Full version)
20. Ocean Alley – Touch Back Down
21. Ball Park Music – Sunscreen
22. SZA – Good Days
23. Glass Animals – I Don’t Wanna Talk (I Just Wanna Dance)
24. bbno$ – edamame [Feat. Rich Brian]
25. RÜFÜS DU SOL – Next To Me
26. Lorde – Solar Power
27. DOPE LEMON – Rose Pink Cadillac
28. Amyl and The Sniffers – Hertz
29. Lil Nas X – THATS WHAT I WANT
30. Spacey Jane – Here Comes The Sun [Like A Version]
31. Doja Cat – Need To Know
32. The Wombats – If You Ever Leave, I’m Coming With You
33. Olivia Rodrigo – deja vu
34. Doja Cat – Get Into It (Yuh)
35. Peach PRC – Josh
36. WILLOW – t r a n s p a r e n t s o u l [Feat. Travis Barker]
37. Doja Cat – Woman
38. The Rubens – Masterpiece
39. Middle Kids – Stacking Chairs
40. girl in red – serotonin
41. Lime Cordiale & Idris Elba – What’s Not To Like
42. Peking Duk – Chemicals
43. Bring Me The Horizon – DiE4u
44. Kanye West – Hurricane
45. Wet Leg – Chaise Longue
46. King Stingray – Get Me Out
47. Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak & Silk Sonic – Leave The Door Open
48. ACRAZE – Do It To It [Feat. Cherish]
49. Dune Rats – UP
50. Kanye West – Jail
51. The Rions – Night Light
52. Cardi B – Up
53. The Weeknd – Take My Breath
54. Ocean Alley – Breathe/Comfortably Numb/Money [Like A Version]
55. Skegss – Valhalla
56. King Stingray – Milkumana
57. Gang of Youths – the man himself
58. Ruby Fields – Kitchen
59. Machine Gun Kelly – love race [Feat. Kellin Quinn]
60. Olivia Rodrigo – brutal
61. Dom Dolla – Pump The Brakes
62. Lorde – Mood Ring
63. Lana Del Rey – Chemtrails Over The Country Club
64. G Flip – Queen [Feat. mxmtoon]
65. Luude – Down Under [Feat. Colin Hay]
66. Tame Impala – A Girl Like You [Like A Version]
67. Olivia Rodrigo – traitor
68. The Jungle Giants – Treat You Right
69. Sly Withers – Clarkson
70. The Amity Affliction – Like Love
71. Halsey – I Am Not A Woman, I’m A God
72. Vera Blue – Temper
73. Lizzo – Rumors [Feat. Cardi B]
74. Tones And I – Cloudy Day
75. Genesis Owusu – Gold Chains
76. The Terrys – Our Paradise
77. Tyler, The Creator – WUSYANAME [Feat. YoungBoy Never Broke Again/Ty Dolla $ign]
78. SZA – I Hate U
79. Dave – Clash [Feat. Stormzy]
80. Billie Eilish – Your Power
81. Lorde – Stoned At The Nail Salon
82. Kanye West – Praise God
83. Doja Cat & The Weeknd – You Right
84. Teenage Joans – Wine
85. The Buoys – Lie To Me Again
86. FISHER – Just Feels Tight
87. Holy Holy – The Aftergone [Feat. CLEWS]
88. Baker Boy – My Mind [Feat. G Flip]
89. Jungle – Keep Moving
90. Hayden James – Waiting For Nothing [Feat. Yaeger]
91. Telenova – Bones
92. Slowly Slowly – Blueprint
93. Baby Keem – family ties [with Kendrick Lamar]
94. Tyne-James Organ – Sunday Suit
95. alt-J – U&ME
96. Client Liaison – House Of Holy
97. Kanye West – Moon
98. Adam Newling – Sweetness
99. Ziggy Ramo – Little Things [Feat. Paul Kelly]
100. Holy Holy – How You Been
100. Olivia Rodrigo – drivers license
101. MAY-A – Time I Love To Waste
102. Chillinit – Henny & Reefer
103. Confidence Man – Holiday
104. Triple One – Time After Time [Like a Version]
105. J. Cole – p r i d e . i s . t h e . d e v i l
106. Ruel – Too Many Feelings
107. Megan Thee Stallion – Thot Shit
108. Pacific Avenue – Easy Love
109. PNAU & Ladyhawke – River
110. Beddy Rays – Week On Repeat
111. Hayden James – Rather Be With You
112. Gang Of Youths – tend the garden
113. Methyl Ethel – Neon Cheap
114. Kanye West – Off The Grid
115. Shouse – Love Tonight
116. DMA’S – We Are Midnight
117. Teen Jesus and the Jean Teasers – AHHHH!
118. Wet Leg – Wet Dream
119. YUNGBLUD – acting like that
120. The Wombats – Method To The Madness
121. The Knocks – R U HIGH
122. Oliver Tree – Life Goes On
123. Holly Humberstone – The Walls Are Way Too Thin
124. Polish Club – Stop For A Minute
125. PNAU – Stranger Love
126. Skegss – Wake Up
127. Stand Atlantic – deathwish
128. Ziggy Alberts – letting go
129. The Vanns – Feels Good Now
130. Allday – Stolen Cars
131. Tyler, The Creator – LUMBERJACK
132. Architects – Dead Butterflies
133. Post Malone & The Weeknd – One Right Now
134. Skegss – Bush TV
135. Pheobe Bridgers – That Funny Feeling
136. Middle Kids – Questions
137. girl in red – You Stupid Bitch
138. BENEE – Doesn’t Matter
139. J. Cole – m y . l i f e
140. Charli XCX – Good Ones
141. CHVRCHES – He Said She Said
142. Drake – Knife Talk
143. Beddy Rays – Wait A While
144. Drake – Fair Trade
145. Flight Facilities – Heavy
146. Tyler, The Creator – SWEET / I THOUGHT YOU WANTED TO DANCE
147. Gretta Ray – Cherish
148. Billie Eilish – Lost Cause
149. G Flip – Scream
150. Milky Chance – Colorado
151. Kanye West – Believe What I Say
152. Billie Eilish – NDA
153. Amyl and The Sniffers – Security
154. Remi Wolf – Sexy Villain
155. Flight Facilities – Move
156. Clairo – Amoeba
157. Machine Gun Kelly – papercuts
158. Swedish House Mafia & The Weeknd – Moth To A Flame
159. Angus & Julia Stone – Love Song
160. Baker Boy – Ride
161. Amy Shark – Worst Day Of My Life
162. Candy Moore & Abbie Chatfield – I Know You Do Ketamine
163. Sam Fender – Get You Down
164. Drake – Girls Want Girls
165. Sly Withers – Breakfast
166. Drake – Way 2 Sexy
167. The Vanns – Red Light
168. Fred again.. & The Blessed Madonna – Marea (We’ve Lost Dancing)
169. Holly Humberstone – Scarlett
170. Ruel – It Ain’t Over ‘Til It’s Over [Like a Version]
171. The Rubens – Muddy Evil Pain
172. Flight Facilities – Lights Up
173. Remi Wolf – Quiet On Set
174. Olivia Rodrigo – happier
175. Nothing But Thieves – Futureproof
176. RÜFÜS DU SOL – I Don’t Wanna Leave
177. Barkaa – King Brown
178. WAAX – Most Hated Girl
179. The Avalanches – The Divine Chord [Ft. MGMT, Johnny Marr]
180. AURORA – Cure For Me
181. Parcels – Somethinggreater
182. Hayden James, Gorgon City & Nat Dunn – Foolproof
183. Peach PRC – Symptomatic
184. G Flip – Waiting Game
185. Sumner – Stranded
186. Jorja Smith – Addicted
187. Royal Blood – Typhoons
188. JK-47 – Changes [Like A Version]
189. Boy & Bear – Don’t You Forget About Me [Like A Version]
190. Beddy Rays – Better In Blak [Like A Version]
191. Northlane – Clockwork
192. Chet Faker – Get High
193. Choomba – Say It
194. Aminé – Charmander
195. Hope D – Addict
196. Running Touch – Juno
197. Sycco – My Ways
198. Fergus James – Backseat
199. Gang Of Youths – unison
200. CHVRCHES – Good Girls


Thoughts? My thoughts are that the list contains an obscene number of crap songs, too many novelty songs (let me know if you want me to point those ones out) and several songs which are extremely mainstream and not what you would associate with a radio station that tries to paint itself as alternative, but I'm not the station's target audience, and never will be.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:41 PM   #13
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,433
Local Time: 11:22 AM
Huh, I didn't know Todd Rundgren produced Bat Out of Hell.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:35 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 32,591
Local Time: 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Huh, I didn't know Todd Rundgren produced Bat Out of Hell.
Also played guitar on much of it, His guitar work on the title track is great and he recorded it in no time per Meat Loaf:

Quote:
In fifteen minutes he played the lead solo and then played the harmony guitars at the beginning. I guarantee the whole thing didn't take him more than forty-five minutes, and the song itself is ten minutes long. The most astounding thing I have ever seen in my life.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:34 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,852
Local Time: 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Wouldn't mind non-Aussies' take on this. Triple J is a youth-oriented radio station here in Australia, and every year they run the Hottest 100, a poll on the most popular songs of the year prior. This year more than 2.5 million people voted, so it's hugely credible; that's about 10% of our entire population. Each year it causes lots of debate. "Too many Australian artists." "So many shit songs." "It was great in the 90s when there was actual bands in it." "That song is too mainstream." So on and so forth. People get really passionate about it, whether they're pro or anti the countdown. (It has also historically taken place on 'Australia Day', our public holiday, which is on the 26th of January and recognises the day that European settlers landed in Australia; thankfully, though our pathetic governments refuse to change 'Australia' Day to a day that doesn't celebrate the genocide of our first people, Triple J moved the countdown to the Saturday before the public holiday.)

It's also important to note that Triple J does a series called 'Like a Version'. They get artists in, most often Australian, (although sometimes not, Denzel Curry's cover of Bulls on Parade is five of the best minutes of music you'll ever hear) to do covers every Friday of other popular songs. These 'Like a Version' (get it?) covers are extremely popular, to the point where artists often break through on the back of them, and they always feature in the countdown, despite debate about whether they're legitimate (although they all get official releases). In this year's Hottest 100, there were four Like a Versions, including Beatles and Pink Floyd covers. (There's also a new EDM version of Down Under, Ashley! Featuring Colin Hay.

Anyway, this year, it was quite remarkably won by The Wiggles, doing a cover of Tame Impala's Elephant, mashed up with Fruit Salad. Now, is this the song of the year? No, not even remotely close. But I was stoked it won, because most people the world over have loved The Wiggles at some point and the clip is really sweet. But it's caused a huge amount of debate.



The list:
 

1. The Wiggles – Elephant [Like A Version]
2. The Kid LAROI, Justin Bieber – STAY
3. Spacey Jane – Lots Of Nothing
4. Olivia Rodrigo – good 4 u
5. Billie Eilish – Happier Than Ever
6. Gang of Youths – the angel of 8th ave.
7. Doja Cat – Kiss Me More {ft. SZA}
8. Lil Nas X & Jack Harlow – INDUSTRY BABY
9. RÜFÜS DU SOL – On My Knees
10. Lil Nas X – MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)
11. Tom Cardy – H.Y.C.Y.BH
12. Spacey Jane – Lunchtime
13. Olivia Rodrigo – drivers license
14. Lime Cordiale & Idris Elba – Apple Crumble
15. Vance Joy – Missing Piece
16. Sam Fender – Seventeen Going Under
17. Tom Cardy – Mixed Messages
18. The Jungle Giants – Love Signs
19. RÜFÜS DU SOL – Alive (Full version)
20. Ocean Alley – Touch Back Down
21. Ball Park Music – Sunscreen
22. SZA – Good Days
23. Glass Animals – I Don’t Wanna Talk (I Just Wanna Dance)
24. bbno$ – edamame [Feat. Rich Brian]
25. RÜFÜS DU SOL – Next To Me
26. Lorde – Solar Power
27. DOPE LEMON – Rose Pink Cadillac
28. Amyl and The Sniffers – Hertz
29. Lil Nas X – THATS WHAT I WANT
30. Spacey Jane – Here Comes The Sun [Like A Version]
31. Doja Cat – Need To Know
32. The Wombats – If You Ever Leave, I’m Coming With You
33. Olivia Rodrigo – deja vu
34. Doja Cat – Get Into It (Yuh)
35. Peach PRC – Josh
36. WILLOW – t r a n s p a r e n t s o u l [Feat. Travis Barker]
37. Doja Cat – Woman
38. The Rubens – Masterpiece
39. Middle Kids – Stacking Chairs
40. girl in red – serotonin
41. Lime Cordiale & Idris Elba – What’s Not To Like
42. Peking Duk – Chemicals
43. Bring Me The Horizon – DiE4u
44. Kanye West – Hurricane
45. Wet Leg – Chaise Longue
46. King Stingray – Get Me Out
47. Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak & Silk Sonic – Leave The Door Open
48. ACRAZE – Do It To It [Feat. Cherish]
49. Dune Rats – UP
50. Kanye West – Jail
51. The Rions – Night Light
52. Cardi B – Up
53. The Weeknd – Take My Breath
54. Ocean Alley – Breathe/Comfortably Numb/Money [Like A Version]
55. Skegss – Valhalla
56. King Stingray – Milkumana
57. Gang of Youths – the man himself
58. Ruby Fields – Kitchen
59. Machine Gun Kelly – love race [Feat. Kellin Quinn]
60. Olivia Rodrigo – brutal
61. Dom Dolla – Pump The Brakes
62. Lorde – Mood Ring
63. Lana Del Rey – Chemtrails Over The Country Club
64. G Flip – Queen [Feat. mxmtoon]
65. Luude – Down Under [Feat. Colin Hay]
66. Tame Impala – A Girl Like You [Like A Version]
67. Olivia Rodrigo – traitor
68. The Jungle Giants – Treat You Right
69. Sly Withers – Clarkson
70. The Amity Affliction – Like Love
71. Halsey – I Am Not A Woman, I’m A God
72. Vera Blue – Temper
73. Lizzo – Rumors [Feat. Cardi B]
74. Tones And I – Cloudy Day
75. Genesis Owusu – Gold Chains
76. The Terrys – Our Paradise
77. Tyler, The Creator – WUSYANAME [Feat. YoungBoy Never Broke Again/Ty Dolla $ign]
78. SZA – I Hate U
79. Dave – Clash [Feat. Stormzy]
80. Billie Eilish – Your Power
81. Lorde – Stoned At The Nail Salon
82. Kanye West – Praise God
83. Doja Cat & The Weeknd – You Right
84. Teenage Joans – Wine
85. The Buoys – Lie To Me Again
86. FISHER – Just Feels Tight
87. Holy Holy – The Aftergone [Feat. CLEWS]
88. Baker Boy – My Mind [Feat. G Flip]
89. Jungle – Keep Moving
90. Hayden James – Waiting For Nothing [Feat. Yaeger]
91. Telenova – Bones
92. Slowly Slowly – Blueprint
93. Baby Keem – family ties [with Kendrick Lamar]
94. Tyne-James Organ – Sunday Suit
95. alt-J – U&ME
96. Client Liaison – House Of Holy
97. Kanye West – Moon
98. Adam Newling – Sweetness
99. Ziggy Ramo – Little Things [Feat. Paul Kelly]
100. Holy Holy – How You Been
100. Olivia Rodrigo – drivers license
101. MAY-A – Time I Love To Waste
102. Chillinit – Henny & Reefer
103. Confidence Man – Holiday
104. Triple One – Time After Time [Like a Version]
105. J. Cole – p r i d e . i s . t h e . d e v i l
106. Ruel – Too Many Feelings
107. Megan Thee Stallion – Thot Shit
108. Pacific Avenue – Easy Love
109. PNAU & Ladyhawke – River
110. Beddy Rays – Week On Repeat
111. Hayden James – Rather Be With You
112. Gang Of Youths – tend the garden
113. Methyl Ethel – Neon Cheap
114. Kanye West – Off The Grid
115. Shouse – Love Tonight
116. DMA’S – We Are Midnight
117. Teen Jesus and the Jean Teasers – AHHHH!
118. Wet Leg – Wet Dream
119. YUNGBLUD – acting like that
120. The Wombats – Method To The Madness
121. The Knocks – R U HIGH
122. Oliver Tree – Life Goes On
123. Holly Humberstone – The Walls Are Way Too Thin
124. Polish Club – Stop For A Minute
125. PNAU – Stranger Love
126. Skegss – Wake Up
127. Stand Atlantic – deathwish
128. Ziggy Alberts – letting go
129. The Vanns – Feels Good Now
130. Allday – Stolen Cars
131. Tyler, The Creator – LUMBERJACK
132. Architects – Dead Butterflies
133. Post Malone & The Weeknd – One Right Now
134. Skegss – Bush TV
135. Pheobe Bridgers – That Funny Feeling
136. Middle Kids – Questions
137. girl in red – You Stupid Bitch
138. BENEE – Doesn’t Matter
139. J. Cole – m y . l i f e
140. Charli XCX – Good Ones
141. CHVRCHES – He Said She Said
142. Drake – Knife Talk
143. Beddy Rays – Wait A While
144. Drake – Fair Trade
145. Flight Facilities – Heavy
146. Tyler, The Creator – SWEET / I THOUGHT YOU WANTED TO DANCE
147. Gretta Ray – Cherish
148. Billie Eilish – Lost Cause
149. G Flip – Scream
150. Milky Chance – Colorado
151. Kanye West – Believe What I Say
152. Billie Eilish – NDA
153. Amyl and The Sniffers – Security
154. Remi Wolf – Sexy Villain
155. Flight Facilities – Move
156. Clairo – Amoeba
157. Machine Gun Kelly – papercuts
158. Swedish House Mafia & The Weeknd – Moth To A Flame
159. Angus & Julia Stone – Love Song
160. Baker Boy – Ride
161. Amy Shark – Worst Day Of My Life
162. Candy Moore & Abbie Chatfield – I Know You Do Ketamine
163. Sam Fender – Get You Down
164. Drake – Girls Want Girls
165. Sly Withers – Breakfast
166. Drake – Way 2 Sexy
167. The Vanns – Red Light
168. Fred again.. & The Blessed Madonna – Marea (We’ve Lost Dancing)
169. Holly Humberstone – Scarlett
170. Ruel – It Ain’t Over ‘Til It’s Over [Like a Version]
171. The Rubens – Muddy Evil Pain
172. Flight Facilities – Lights Up
173. Remi Wolf – Quiet On Set
174. Olivia Rodrigo – happier
175. Nothing But Thieves – Futureproof
176. RÜFÜS DU SOL – I Don’t Wanna Leave
177. Barkaa – King Brown
178. WAAX – Most Hated Girl
179. The Avalanches – The Divine Chord [Ft. MGMT, Johnny Marr]
180. AURORA – Cure For Me
181. Parcels – Somethinggreater
182. Hayden James, Gorgon City & Nat Dunn – Foolproof
183. Peach PRC – Symptomatic
184. G Flip – Waiting Game
185. Sumner – Stranded
186. Jorja Smith – Addicted
187. Royal Blood – Typhoons
188. JK-47 – Changes [Like A Version]
189. Boy & Bear – Don’t You Forget About Me [Like A Version]
190. Beddy Rays – Better In Blak [Like A Version]
191. Northlane – Clockwork
192. Chet Faker – Get High
193. Choomba – Say It
194. Aminé – Charmander
195. Hope D – Addict
196. Running Touch – Juno
197. Sycco – My Ways
198. Fergus James – Backseat
199. Gang Of Youths – unison
200. CHVRCHES – Good Girls


Thoughts? My thoughts are that the list contains an obscene number of crap songs, too many novelty songs (let me know if you want me to point those ones out) and several songs which are extremely mainstream and not what you would associate with a radio station that tries to paint itself as alternative, but I'm not the station's target audience, and never will be.
The thing is, it's not even worth debating, because it's a fan poll. It's what people find the most entertaining, and everyone and their brother knew that "Elephant" cover was going to be #1 the second it was released. One of Australia's biggest modern bands + their biggest children's export (at least pre-Bluey) together? It's almost like it was calculated. It's not legit or illegitimate, in that sense it's what got the people going/enthused to vote.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:43 AM   #16
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,433
Local Time: 11:22 AM
I completely agree with you (although the joke songs don't usually land at #1). I just think it's cool and funny and interesting.

This is really sweet. I don't think it was calculated at all, but, I can definitely see the merit in that view.



It's very cool to see that The Wiggles are still a big cultural phenomenon even after so many years, and that there's more of them now, and they're so much more culturally and gender diverse now. Emma has left though, which is a bit sad. She's very cool.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:53 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
U2inUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Utah
Posts: 3,331
Local Time: 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
The list:
 

1. The Wiggles – Elephant [Like A Version]
2. The Kid LAROI, Justin Bieber – STAY
3. Spacey Jane – Lots Of Nothing
4. Olivia Rodrigo – good 4 u
5. Billie Eilish – Happier Than Ever
6. Gang of Youths – the angel of 8th ave.
7. Doja Cat – Kiss Me More {ft. SZA}
8. Lil Nas X & Jack Harlow – INDUSTRY BABY
9. RÜFÜS DU SOL – On My Knees
10. Lil Nas X – MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)
11. Tom Cardy – H.Y.C.Y.BH
12. Spacey Jane – Lunchtime
13. Olivia Rodrigo – drivers license
14. Lime Cordiale & Idris Elba – Apple Crumble
15. Vance Joy – Missing Piece
16. Sam Fender – Seventeen Going Under
17. Tom Cardy – Mixed Messages
18. The Jungle Giants – Love Signs
19. RÜFÜS DU SOL – Alive (Full version)
20. Ocean Alley – Touch Back Down
21. Ball Park Music – Sunscreen
22. SZA – Good Days
23. Glass Animals – I Don’t Wanna Talk (I Just Wanna Dance)
24. bbno$ – edamame [Feat. Rich Brian]
25. RÜFÜS DU SOL – Next To Me
26. Lorde – Solar Power
27. DOPE LEMON – Rose Pink Cadillac
28. Amyl and The Sniffers – Hertz
29. Lil Nas X – THATS WHAT I WANT
30. Spacey Jane – Here Comes The Sun [Like A Version]
31. Doja Cat – Need To Know
32. The Wombats – If You Ever Leave, I’m Coming With You
33. Olivia Rodrigo – deja vu
34. Doja Cat – Get Into It (Yuh)
35. Peach PRC – Josh
36. WILLOW – t r a n s p a r e n t s o u l [Feat. Travis Barker]
37. Doja Cat – Woman
38. The Rubens – Masterpiece
39. Middle Kids – Stacking Chairs
40. girl in red – serotonin
41. Lime Cordiale & Idris Elba – What’s Not To Like
42. Peking Duk – Chemicals
43. Bring Me The Horizon – DiE4u
44. Kanye West – Hurricane
45. Wet Leg – Chaise Longue
46. King Stingray – Get Me Out
47. Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak & Silk Sonic – Leave The Door Open
48. ACRAZE – Do It To It [Feat. Cherish]
49. Dune Rats – UP
50. Kanye West – Jail
51. The Rions – Night Light
52. Cardi B – Up
53. The Weeknd – Take My Breath
54. Ocean Alley – Breathe/Comfortably Numb/Money [Like A Version]
55. Skegss – Valhalla
56. King Stingray – Milkumana
57. Gang of Youths – the man himself
58. Ruby Fields – Kitchen
59. Machine Gun Kelly – love race [Feat. Kellin Quinn]
60. Olivia Rodrigo – brutal
61. Dom Dolla – Pump The Brakes
62. Lorde – Mood Ring
63. Lana Del Rey – Chemtrails Over The Country Club
64. G Flip – Queen [Feat. mxmtoon]
65. Luude – Down Under [Feat. Colin Hay]
66. Tame Impala – A Girl Like You [Like A Version]
67. Olivia Rodrigo – traitor
68. The Jungle Giants – Treat You Right
69. Sly Withers – Clarkson
70. The Amity Affliction – Like Love
71. Halsey – I Am Not A Woman, I’m A God
72. Vera Blue – Temper
73. Lizzo – Rumors [Feat. Cardi B]
74. Tones And I – Cloudy Day
75. Genesis Owusu – Gold Chains
76. The Terrys – Our Paradise
77. Tyler, The Creator – WUSYANAME [Feat. YoungBoy Never Broke Again/Ty Dolla $ign]
78. SZA – I Hate U
79. Dave – Clash [Feat. Stormzy]
80. Billie Eilish – Your Power
81. Lorde – Stoned At The Nail Salon
82. Kanye West – Praise God
83. Doja Cat & The Weeknd – You Right
84. Teenage Joans – Wine
85. The Buoys – Lie To Me Again
86. FISHER – Just Feels Tight
87. Holy Holy – The Aftergone [Feat. CLEWS]
88. Baker Boy – My Mind [Feat. G Flip]
89. Jungle – Keep Moving
90. Hayden James – Waiting For Nothing [Feat. Yaeger]
91. Telenova – Bones
92. Slowly Slowly – Blueprint
93. Baby Keem – family ties [with Kendrick Lamar]
94. Tyne-James Organ – Sunday Suit
95. alt-J – U&ME
96. Client Liaison – House Of Holy
97. Kanye West – Moon
98. Adam Newling – Sweetness
99. Ziggy Ramo – Little Things [Feat. Paul Kelly]
100. Holy Holy – How You Been
100. Olivia Rodrigo – drivers license
101. MAY-A – Time I Love To Waste
102. Chillinit – Henny & Reefer
103. Confidence Man – Holiday
104. Triple One – Time After Time [Like a Version]
105. J. Cole – p r i d e . i s . t h e . d e v i l
106. Ruel – Too Many Feelings
107. Megan Thee Stallion – Thot Shit
108. Pacific Avenue – Easy Love
109. PNAU & Ladyhawke – River
110. Beddy Rays – Week On Repeat
111. Hayden James – Rather Be With You
112. Gang Of Youths – tend the garden
113. Methyl Ethel – Neon Cheap
114. Kanye West – Off The Grid
115. Shouse – Love Tonight
116. DMA’S – We Are Midnight
117. Teen Jesus and the Jean Teasers – AHHHH!
118. Wet Leg – Wet Dream
119. YUNGBLUD – acting like that
120. The Wombats – Method To The Madness
121. The Knocks – R U HIGH
122. Oliver Tree – Life Goes On
123. Holly Humberstone – The Walls Are Way Too Thin
124. Polish Club – Stop For A Minute
125. PNAU – Stranger Love
126. Skegss – Wake Up
127. Stand Atlantic – deathwish
128. Ziggy Alberts – letting go
129. The Vanns – Feels Good Now
130. Allday – Stolen Cars
131. Tyler, The Creator – LUMBERJACK
132. Architects – Dead Butterflies
133. Post Malone & The Weeknd – One Right Now
134. Skegss – Bush TV
135. Pheobe Bridgers – That Funny Feeling
136. Middle Kids – Questions
137. girl in red – You Stupid Bitch
138. BENEE – Doesn’t Matter
139. J. Cole – m y . l i f e
140. Charli XCX – Good Ones
141. CHVRCHES – He Said She Said
142. Drake – Knife Talk
143. Beddy Rays – Wait A While
144. Drake – Fair Trade
145. Flight Facilities – Heavy
146. Tyler, The Creator – SWEET / I THOUGHT YOU WANTED TO DANCE
147. Gretta Ray – Cherish
148. Billie Eilish – Lost Cause
149. G Flip – Scream
150. Milky Chance – Colorado
151. Kanye West – Believe What I Say
152. Billie Eilish – NDA
153. Amyl and The Sniffers – Security
154. Remi Wolf – Sexy Villain
155. Flight Facilities – Move
156. Clairo – Amoeba
157. Machine Gun Kelly – papercuts
158. Swedish House Mafia & The Weeknd – Moth To A Flame
159. Angus & Julia Stone – Love Song
160. Baker Boy – Ride
161. Amy Shark – Worst Day Of My Life
162. Candy Moore & Abbie Chatfield – I Know You Do Ketamine
163. Sam Fender – Get You Down
164. Drake – Girls Want Girls
165. Sly Withers – Breakfast
166. Drake – Way 2 Sexy
167. The Vanns – Red Light
168. Fred again.. & The Blessed Madonna – Marea (We’ve Lost Dancing)
169. Holly Humberstone – Scarlett
170. Ruel – It Ain’t Over ‘Til It’s Over [Like a Version]
171. The Rubens – Muddy Evil Pain
172. Flight Facilities – Lights Up
173. Remi Wolf – Quiet On Set
174. Olivia Rodrigo – happier
175. Nothing But Thieves – Futureproof
176. RÜFÜS DU SOL – I Don’t Wanna Leave
177. Barkaa – King Brown
178. WAAX – Most Hated Girl
179. The Avalanches – The Divine Chord [Ft. MGMT, Johnny Marr]
180. AURORA – Cure For Me
181. Parcels – Somethinggreater
182. Hayden James, Gorgon City & Nat Dunn – Foolproof
183. Peach PRC – Symptomatic
184. G Flip – Waiting Game
185. Sumner – Stranded
186. Jorja Smith – Addicted
187. Royal Blood – Typhoons
188. JK-47 – Changes [Like A Version]
189. Boy & Bear – Don’t You Forget About Me [Like A Version]
190. Beddy Rays – Better In Blak [Like A Version]
191. Northlane – Clockwork
192. Chet Faker – Get High
193. Choomba – Say It
194. Aminé – Charmander
195. Hope D – Addict
196. Running Touch – Juno
197. Sycco – My Ways
198. Fergus James – Backseat
199. Gang Of Youths – unison
200. CHVRCHES – Good Girls
Surprised how many Kanye songs are in there, I feel like Kanye's popularity has really tanked over here. Also, for the songs I recognize (which is a lot, I'm pretty up to date on top 40/popular music outside of the Aussie artists) only maybe 20% are what I would consider "alternative" music.

Maybe of interest to you, Gang of Youths - the angel of 8th st, kind of broke through over here on radio and had some good radio play on Sirius XM and elsewhere, making some end of year best of alternative lists over here.

Anyway, I like lists, so these are always fun to look at. I remember you, Kieran and Ax going back and forth on these Hottest 100's back in the day.
U2inUtah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:19 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,849
Local Time: 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Also played guitar on much of it, His guitar work on the title track is great and he recorded it in no time per Meat Loaf:
The part just before your quote is one of my favourite stories about the recording of that song.
Quote:
Steinman insisted that the song should contain the sound of a motorcycle, and complained to producer Todd Rundgren at the final overdub session about its absence. Rather than use a recording of a real motorcycle, Rundgren himself played the section on guitar, leading straight into the solo without a break.
Being so fed up about the complaining about the song needing a motorcycle he just turned some amps to 11 and created the sound on his guitar.
Popmartijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:58 AM   #19
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,433
Local Time: 11:22 AM
His popularity has tanked here as well, but Donda is his best record in a while and had some big singles. And yeah, I'm with you on there being a severe lack of proper alternative music. It's funny, the people who are Triple J fanatics are so proud and protective of its alternative status but it is extremely mainstream (just fractionally less so than the mainstream pop stations).

That's awesome to hear about Gang of Youths. I still find it criminal that they didn't break through with their last record overseas. Like, it's nuts to me that Pitchfork cover Camp Cope (who I love and who also have a new album out soon! )but not Gang of Youths. I know they have an audience overseas but their music is at this rare intersection where it's both commercially viable and just fucking great music.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:03 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,349
Local Time: 08:22 PM
Biffy Fucking Clyro are coming to Chicago in April!
__________________

mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×