Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also: I found out that Sufjan Stevens is somehow 47, and it made me depressed ahead of the long weekend. Jesus.

I finally realised after all these years what I love so much about Veckatimest, but in particular Southern Point, which I adore.

It's that it sounds like America at their best, like on Ventura Highway. It's such a rare sound. Like yes, it's folk music, but there's also some Spanish/Flamenco influence (Gump you'll be able to hopefully speak to what I'm on about here). It feels very lived-in. It feels very American, but in an aspirational, hopeful way. Ventura Highway evokes that sense of, you're on the road with your best pals to some beautiful future. But imbued with a sense of the past, too.

I finally realised after all these years what I love so much about Veckatimest, but in particular Southern Point, which I adore.

It's that it sounds like America at their best, like on Ventura Highway. It's such a rare sound. Like yes, it's folk music, but there's also some Spanish/Flamenco influence (Gump you'll be able to hopefully speak to what I'm on about here). It feels very lived-in. It feels very American, but in an aspirational, hopeful way. Ventura Highway evokes that sense of, you're on the road with your best pals to some beautiful future. But imbued with a sense of the past, too.

Two Weeks is classic, and I love the closer Foreground as well. Good record. I agree with you, it is a rare sound.

I always liked Grizzly Bear a lot, too bad they might be done(they won't officially say it, but all indications are they are on an indefinite extended hiatus).

I always liked Grizzly Bear a lot, too bad they might be done(they won't officially say it, but all indications are they are on an indefinite extended hiatus).

I was just thinking, after reading cobbler's post, that it's about time for a new Grizzly Bear record. I hadn't realized Ed Droste had quit the band. Makes me sad we may not ever get anything else from them. I pretty much loved all of their last three albums.

Last edited:
I saw his last show in 2019 I think it was, or maybe 2018, the Us & Them tour, and it was fucking spectacular. I think he's stated he'll never come down under again though sadly.

Also re Grizzly Bear - I did not know that about Ed Droste? He's the lead singer right?! Looks like he's become a therapist. Wow. Good on him.

Anyone listened to Wet Leg? I found them through TikTok, responding to hate comments from dudes with no fucking idea, and they've got quite a fun little album.

Anyone listened to Wet Leg? I found them through TikTok, responding to hate comments from dudes with no fucking idea, and they've got quite a fun little album.

Yes, I’ve been with them since the lead single last summer. They’ve got a unique vibe and I’m curious to see what they do next.

Have ticket prices gone up for y'all?

RHCP (with Post Malone) are touring here in Feb. Stadium. GA is $210 and the cheapest tickets are third level seated for $175 :|

Have ticket prices gone up for y'all?

RHCP (with Post Malone) are touring here in Feb. Stadium. GA is $210 and the cheapest tickets are third level seated for $175 :|

Peppers here the field seats (including GA pit) at Fenway Park are $349.50, and cheapest are $174.50 for the crap seats so yeah ticket prices have skyrocketed. I was flummoxed when I saw the Peppers' pricing.

if you have a chance to see roger waters on this tour, definitely go.

An ad for the show just came up in my FB feed, and the visuals look pretty damned cool. Also nice to see he’s playing in the round, which makes the arena setup more even in terms of seating.

Nosebleeds for LA are $55+ fees and I’m def thinking about it. Isn’t his voice shot to hell, though?

It's been about a decade since I last saw him, so maybe it's changed, but I thought he sounded good on the Wall tour.

An ad for the show just came up in my FB feed, and the visuals look pretty damned cool. Also nice to see he’s playing in the round, which makes the arena setup more even in terms of seating.

Nosebleeds for LA are $55+ fees and I’m def thinking about it. Isn’t his voice shot to hell, though?
A buddy of mine went last night and sent me a video from the show and he sounded great.

i thought he sounded great the other night, but i also have never seen him live before. compared to youtube videos from previous tours though, it didn't seem like he has taken a step back. YMMV.

me and the mrs had bought nosebleed seats that were upgraded to the lower bowl before the show. it would have still been a great show from up there, but i think part of the far side of the stage may have been obstructed by the video screen (though i'm not sure). playing in the round worked really well with the visuals and with the set list.

you'll definitely have a good time well worth 55 bucks if you get those tickets.

I love the Fork's Sunday reviews. This one is fucking excellent. For people like me, who are now 32 (bday today!) and were 12-14 when Ja Rule was huge, he was the biggest artist on the planet. Livin it Up, Always on Time, Mesmerise, Down Ass Bitch, Thug Lovin were all absolute bangers, still are, and they were inescapable. Love how this piece really articulately explores his career, how 50 and his crew took his place with In Da Club, 21 Questions, P.I.M.P. and Hate it or Love it (although admittedly that came a couple years later). I didn't know Ja was originally angling himself as a Pac successor, nor did I know about the failed Ja/Jay/DMX exercise, but the author nails it - Ja should have stuck as the commercial pop-rap man, cos that's when he was at his best. But then, he couldn't, because hip-hop at the time was much more masculine and homophobic than it is now, and all of 50 et al's insults were about Ja's fake hardness. Maybe he was ahead of his time? Who knows. Still, from Ja, we got a handful of all-time pop-rap classics, the incredible Fyre fiasco, and, of course, that classic Dave Chappelle bit.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/ja-rule-pain-is-love/

Been super busy, but wanted to mention a couple of things:

- Alabaster dePlume's Gold is one of the most unique things I've heard in quite some time. I'm not quite sure if it's jazz, ambient, classical or art pop. It's super long and overwrought, but a touching spiritual and meditative album that I think may appeal to a lot of people here. Thinking of iron yuppie in particular.

- At the urge of a friend, I recently discovered Japanese jazz pianist Ryo Fukui, and he's damn good. Scenery is a beautiful Hard Bop album.

- Mil Coisas Incríveis, by Tim Bernardes, is my favorite Brazilian record in quite some time (years rather than months). It packs more ear-worms in a song than some artists have in their catalogue. If you heard my Brazilian DI playlist last year (was it last year?) and liked the calmer, downtempo parts, I would strongly recommend it. But there is something that is bothering me deeply: I am 100% convinced that the Beatle-esque chorus melody in one of its best songs, A Balada de Tim Bernardes, is quoting some other song, but I can't for the life of me figure out which song that is. I don't think it's a Brazilian song, so I hope someone can help me identify it. Help!

Last edited:
It should come as no surprise to anyone that the Tim Bernardes album Gump was talking about is in my top 10 for the year. Incredible record, extremely warm, lovely and subtly ambitious.

Joni! This was so moving.

And she played lead guitar too. Queen.

Last edited:
It’s the latter clip that really wowed me. Such a unique sound and playing style, and that she can still do it after her medical issues is life-affirming.

I know there's not many of us here anymore, but for those who see this, what's a song that's resonating for you emotionally right now?

I've had a really fucking hard year. It's the first time ever that I've not listened to music. I've been playing footy/comedy podcasts because I'm better able to distract myself with talking rather than music.

Things aren't great between me and my partner. We're having some pretty tough conversations and exploring some super confronting things in our relationship at the moment. I don't know what the future holds. If anyone has experience of challenging times in their relationships that they've worked through, and you feel comfortable sharing, I'd love to hear. It's really scary.

Yesterday we got everything out in the open and it was the first time all year that I felt safe enough within myself to listen to music. I listened to Both Sides Now - thanks for kicking off the Joni discussion, Gump, I think it helped, watching those clips made me emotional - and Radiohead for the first time in forever, specifically three tracks from the Com Lag EP: I Am Citizen Insane, Fog (Again) and in particular Gagging Order, which is just one of my favourite songs ever, and really met how I was feeling.

But the song that's been coming to me a lot this year, despite the fact I haven't been listening to music much this year, is this one.

The light
From the TV
Runnin' parallel to you
I am so
Outta tune
With you

I know there's not many of us here anymore, but for those who see this, what's a song that's resonating for you emotionally right now?

I won't go into detail, but I've had a prolonged, stressful family situation. It kicked into high gear right around the time Beach House's latest album came out, so that one has been a real source of comfort for me. Especially the song Over & Over: it's nothing about the lyrics, which are typically oblique, but the mood of the song, particularly when it locks into the groove for the second half. There's no end in sight, but you can find beauty in it. The band really has a distinct talent for creating little moments of wonder and bringing them to the fore in inventive ways. When I saw them a few weeks ago, they closed the show with it, which I was not expecting at all. One of the highlights of my year so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom