Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Jack White in concert on Saturday and the highlight of the set for me was his cover of LOVE IS BLINDNESS. What a track. He makes minor tweaks to the lyrics - for example he spits out the wordier "Won't you take the night and wrap it all around me?" instead of "Won't you wrap the night around me?"...but it was a passionate and worthy tribute and a treat to hear. He also covered "I Wanna Be Your Dog" by the Stooges.

Jack's guitar playing is out of this world and his backing band (just a drummer, bassist, and keys) are all tight. But I honestly wish he'd played just a couple more White Stripes songs. I'd been following his setlists leading up to the show and he played fewer than usual on Saturday. I would have loved to hear Ball and Biscuit particularly. Oh well. I still got to hear Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (maybe my favorite Stripes song), We're Going to Be Friends, Black Math, and Seven Nation Army. Ultimately great to see him. He looked good and is very much one of the biggest remaining rock stars in the game.

Also, the opener was Be Your Own Pet who just reunited after nearly 15 years and they fucking rocked. Love them.

Did you get any good pictures with your phone?

:wink:

I’m excited! They’re long overdue for some new music and a comeback. I wonder what change up to their sound we can expect this time, if any. In any case, I’m going to try to see them in NY for the first time since 2013 - should be a great show!

No reacts to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs reunion?

Excited we're getting new music from them.
I wouldn't call it a reunion technically. They never broke up. They were touring for a couple years before the pandemic. But yes, I'm down with it. One of my favorite bands of the last 20 years.

That's really fucking stupid. I am as anti phones at gigs as anyone (I take like 10 pics and have it out for maybe like 30 seconds in total) but that's really dumb.

You guys listened to that new Spoon record, you bitch? It fucks, you guys.

Are you serious?

I’m seeing him next month. I had read this but I didn’t think it was real.
Yup. You have to put your phone in a little pouch that locks magnetically. I tried to rip it open just out of curiosity. It can't be done. There are designated "stations" in the venue where you can open the pouch. They were strict about it.

I like taking pictures and videos at shows so that was a bit of a bummer. But when I do it's not like I have my phone out for long periods of time or record the whole thing, etc. I usually take a few snaps during the first song and then put it away until maybe something cool happens that I want to document.

Yup. You have to put your phone in a little pouch that locks magnetically. I tried to rip it open just out of curiosity. It can't be done. There are designated "stations" in the venue where you can open the pouch. They were strict about it.

Well, that sucks. Thanks for the info.

I've been at a "phone free" show before but no one actually locked up my phone. I don't care about taking pictures or filming, my biggest concern is some sort of emergency event occurring and I can't access my phone.

Well, that sucks. Thanks for the info.

I've been at a "phone free" show before but no one actually locked up my phone. I don't care about taking pictures or filming, my biggest concern is some sort of emergency event occurring and I can't access my phone.

Exactly. But rich artists don't care about their fans, evidently.

Think I wrote about it the weekend it came out. Great stuff.

Whilst I adored They Want My Soul and think that record contains a number of songs that are better because they're so gloriously poppy and catchy (the title track, Do You, Knock, Inside Out), this record is so good as well. Held, Hardest Cut, Wild, My Babe, Lucifer on the Sofa standouts on first listen.

The new Arcade Fire album is out tonight. I’m hoping it’s a big step up from “Everything Now”

Pitchfork gave it a 7.0, up from a 5.6 on Everything Now, so that's....something

Last edited:
Looking forward to the new Belle & Sebastian. It had been a while.

I liked the first two songs. On track 5 now and the album is starting to drag a bit though.

I liked the first two songs. On track 5 now and the album is starting to drag a bit though.

Album got a bit better towards the end. I don't know. I liked their first 4 albums a lot and I'm trying to account for the fact that my tastes have changed a lot, but I just didn't really find the album interesting. Maybe I'd revisit a song or two.

That's really fucking stupid. I am as anti phones at gigs as anyone (I take like 10 pics and have it out for maybe like 30 seconds in total) but that's really dumb.

You guys listened to that new Spoon record, you bitch? It fucks, you guys.

IDK, as a shorty over here, while there are nice people like you that don't keep it out long, there's enough people who keep their damn arms up long enough that it ruins most concerts for me at this point.

Exactly. But rich artists don't care about their fans, evidently.

Also, I'm just gonna say, that GAF pointed out there were several places where you could go to have the pouch unmagnetized to open it. It's not like you completely lose access to your phone. I'm kinda in favor of this, even if I'd lose out on all of the amazingly awful indoor/dark photos I take at shows :)| )

I'm a fellow shorty, and I'm in favor of people putting their phones down more at concerts. There are definitely people recording entire songs multiple times throughout shows. I always wonder, when are they ever gonna watch that?

I do sympathize with people who have children; I get that they need their phones available in case of emergency.

I'm a fellow shorty, and I'm in favor of people putting their phones down more at concerts. There are definitely people recording entire songs multiple times throughout shows. I always wonder, when are they ever gonna watch that?

I do sympathize with people who have children; I get that they need their phones available in case of emergency.

I have one single video I've taken at a concert ever that I watch frequently, and it's Lindsey Buckingham playing "Big Love" at the likely one and only time I'm ever seeing Fleetwood Mac live. But I took that video with an actual camera, and from a seat. It's not to say I don't occasionally look back at other shows and I'm glad I have some of the videos I have (I'm looking at you, Stevie Wonder concert), but even then, those are almost all from shows where I was either on the front rail, or I had a seat. This is probably my shortness-bias speaking, because of course, any other videos I take are useless because it's all just hands up in the air also recording.

Anyways, I realize I'm speaking out of my own biases, I have a smart watch, and my mind immediately goes to, "If there's a notification, I'll see it" because of that.

IDK, as a shorty over here, while there are nice people like you that don't keep it out long, there's enough people who keep their damn arms up long enough that it ruins most concerts for me at this point.

Also, I'm just gonna say, that GAF pointed out there were several places where you could go to have the pouch unmagnetized to open it. It's not like you completely lose access to your phone. I'm kinda in favor of this, even if I'd lose out on all of the amazingly awful indoor/dark photos I take at shows :)| )

I'd say I'm a balance between embracing the technology we have now and just enjoying the show with your own eyes. I do take several pics and videos during concerts but I also don't take videos of full songs. Like when I went to Biffy Clyro a few weeks back, my longest video was 1:30 only because the intro to "Slurpy Slurpy Sleep Sleep" is that epic that I always want to relive it.

New Arcade Fire is a big improvement over the garbage they turned in last time but I would say their second worst album overall. Not a lot of highlights or duds, just a solid listenable album experience that brings back their classic sound. It's good, not great.

Lightning II absolutely rips. Sagittarius A is awful. Everything else mostly fine/good. The boomer catastrophizing about phones isn't what I want to hear right now but I'm used to it from Win at this point. He always does this shit.

I listened to Reflektor today and found it to be deeply flawed but a lot more exciting at its best and more approachable lyrically. It's Never Over is astonishing. I wish they had taken more chances like that but I understand why they played it safe after Everything Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom