Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a video of her demoing that song where she somehow manages to play the solo and the underlying melody at the same time. Incredible.

She's incredible. I need to listen to her solo stuff more often. I think I've listened to all her albums but rarely go back to it. Incredible artist. Can't wait for their live show either. Big Thief was my first pandemic show to be cancelled back in 2020, so there are tons of songs from the last three albums that I really want to see live.

I refused to read the review once I read the description of it and realised it'd be a bit negative. I'm quite disappointed (not in the album, which I think is great) but in the review. I and many other Aussies have been screaming down Pitchfork for years to give them love, especially when Go Farther in Lightness started enjoying global success (and they review Camp Cope and even Georgia Maq's solo record, despite the fact they're way, way, way smaller than Gang of Youths), and they finally do it and it's negative. Feels like it's starting them off on the wrong foot. I've not read the review yet so maybe it is more positive, but the description and reactions here suggest it's not.

I know people get mad whenever I mention these guys, but I'm in a Biffy Clyro Facebook group and Gang of Youths is really big with Biffy fans. I gave them a listen and I see why. They definitely have some similarities even though GOY is a bit mellower.

New Romance immediately grabbed my attention.

This song exemplifies what I love so much about them. There's a subtle flourish on the vocals at the end of each line in the verses - a little burst of reverb and pitch modulation. It works so well. They consistently have little details like that that elevate their songs. Incredible nuance.

This one will be hard to beat for AOTY for mine. The Dealer is a phenomenal opener.

I know people get mad whenever I mention these guys, but I'm in a Biffy Clyro Facebook group and Gang of Youths is really big with Biffy fans. I gave them a listen and I see why. They definitely have some similarities even though GOY is a bit mellower.
Why do people get mad about the biff?

On first listen, the new Arcade Fire song is great! Way more energetic and anthemic than any song from Everything Now. I had a big smile on my face when the second half kicked in. Win's lyrics still have some flub lines but I'm hoping this will give us the rousing, life-affirming Arcade Fire rather than the dour version of the band.

Yeah, I agree, the music is good. The lyrics are not, but I'm glad they are going that route again.

if there's another globally popular song in history that almost everyone completely missed the real point on like this one, please post it.

Last edited:
I'm interested to know what people think it's about? It's very clear, at least to me as an Australian.

Sadly, not a great deal has changed since its release. Awareness of Indigenous issues is greater, we have much more pride in Indigenous cultures, but the structural issues remain.

Also, surely Born in the USA owns that title.

maybe i have difficulty seeing the big picture because i was so young when it was first released. but around where i grew up, there still are a lot of meathead racist types who think the song just kicks ass and don't ever think about what the words actually mean. they hear "it belongs to them, let's give it back" and never once stop to consider what "it" is or who "them" are.

born in the USA is also a great example of that kind of song and yeah you're probably right about that one being #1.

maybe i have difficulty seeing the big picture because i was so young when it was first released. but around where i grew up, there still are a lot of meathead racist types who think the song just kicks ass and don't ever think about what the words actually mean. they hear "it belongs to them, let's give it back" and never once stop to consider what "it" is or who "them" are.

Oh it got heavy rotation on MTV at the time of its release and I guarantee 95%+ of folks who dug the song paid no attention/didn't care about the meaning behind it.

As a child I used to think the Midnight Oil singer was the actor from The Hills Have Eyes.

There is a resemblance.

l-intro-1630542244.jpg

Garrettx1600.jpg

Three days late, but yeah, born in the USA for sure.

Also Pink Houses and Our Country by John Mellencamp.

I don’t know why I never explored Thin Lizzy’s catalog apart from the Jailbreak album - maybe it was lack of exposure for the rest of their stuff in the U.S. - but holy shit this is a great discography.

In addition to Jailbreak, Fighting and Bad Reputation are both essential. But I dove deep on these guys ages ago, and I also love Johnny the Fox and Nightlife. Their live album Live and Dangerous is a real killer as well.

The whole run from Nightlife to Black Rose is killer.

And even the other albums, while not as consistent, have several high points.

I've been listening to them nonstop all week while working, and it's been a real treat to discover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom