Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked it! Of course I don’t have the context that you would. However, I think the second half finishes strong.

There are some traits of The March of Zapotec that I liked. I remember at the time wanting to see what he could do if he used some electronic touches in his music like he tried in some of the latter songs off that album (if memory serves). Remember that bit of late 00s thing when every indie band wanted to use a drum machine?

Serious question: should one cancel their Spotify subscription?

Nice to see Joni join Neil Young.

I wonder how many more artists will do the same.
It’s unfortunately going to take a “bigger” name to pull some strings, but Spotify is definitely taking a hit.

Last edited:
I'm planning on moving to Apple Music, just need to take a day to transfer all my playlists over.

Serious question: should one cancel their Spotify subscription?

Nice to see Joni join Neil Young.
It's tempting. I admire what Neil and Joni have done. Fuck Joe Rogan. And it is bullshit that artists are paid such miniscule amounts through their system.

But Spotify is the way I consume most of my music these days. It's honestly nice and convenient to have everything in one place. I think it's a pretty easy and user-friendly interface and I'm just so used to it at this point. We'll see. I might look into other options.

I'm torn. I've pushed Travis to cancel, though, even just for a little while. That's like the whole point of capitalism, right? To speak with your wallet?

Apple Music is better anyway because you can upload your own files and they appear on your library. Like all your U2 bootlegs, for example. Plus, if you’re on iOS, the voice commands on CarPlay make it such a great driving experience.

i would like to cancel my spotify account but i'm not sure that there's another option that's as good. apple music is no bueno because we have all android phones and a 22 year old car. i wish google music was still awesome.

I’m considering it and I’ve been a long time Spotify user. I’m loathe to use Apple Music because iTunes has always been so shit. But might make sense to have iTunes and Apple Music rather than iTunes and Spotify. I’ve always hated how little they pay artists vs how much money they make. This might be the push I need.

Fuck Joe Rogan.

Waiting for Laz to march in here all high and mighty for never using it in the first place [emoji849]

My primary phone is an android but I actually have an iPhone through work, so I get the best experience out of Apple Music sometimes.

I’ve been a Spotify user for a long time, and never liked Apple Music, especially how it sometimes messed up with my local library (I still have a ton of songs on iTunes). It would be inconvenient to change, but then again principles should outweigh convenience I guess. I might save my playlists and cancel my family account. Fuck this. What a world. Thinking that Joe Rogan is more important than historical figures like Neil Young or Joni.

Glad to see their stock free falling.

I’ve been a Spotify user for a long time, and never liked Apple Music, especially how it sometimes messed up with my local library (I still have a ton of songs on iTunes). It would be inconvenient to change, but then again principles should outweigh convenience I guess. I might save my playlists and cancel my family account. Fuck this. What a world. Thinking that Joe Rogan is more important than historical figures like Neil Young or Joni.

Glad to see their stock free falling.

That used to be a complaint of mine but they resolved it a couple years ago.

That used to be a complaint of mine but they resolved it a couple years ago.

That’s good to know. I’m on a free Apple Music subscription for another few months and might just switch over then.

My concert calendar is really filling up!

Biffy Clyro and Kenny Wayne Shepard in April and Foo
Fighters in August. :hyper:

Same here! Got tickets for lots of great shows this year so far.

In February, Courtney Barnett at Radio City and Waxahatchee at Brooklyn Steel.
Mitski in March at Radio City. Big Thief in April at Kings Theatre.
And Sharon Van Etten, Angel Olsen and Julien Baker super-concert at Central Park in August!

Waiting for Laz to march in here all high and mighty for never using it in the first place [emoji849]

giphy.gif

i would like to cancel my spotify account but i'm not sure that there's another option that's as good. apple music is no bueno because we have all android phones and a 22 year old car. i wish google music was still awesome.

YouTube Music is such a fucking disappointment, but I'm never getting rid of it because I'm not going back to YouTube with ads.

I will continue to hold out hope that they'll fix it one day, or for some reason decide to restore Google Play Music. (Yes, I know that Google never goes back :sad: )

I just listened to Twin Shadow's Confess for the first time in probably a decade and I finally understand why people have been disappointed by his career. I personally like where he ended up, but he really was something totally different on that first record, and it's way, way better than I remembered (not that I didn't remember it being good).

I listened back through Blur's discography the last few days for the first time in ages. I'm not sure if this is a hot take, but I don't get the acclaim for Parklife. Honestly I would put everything except the debut above it. And I much, much prefer the later albums - beginning with the S/T - above the earlier ones. Apparently that is a divide in the fandom.

I stumbled across a 90s band called "Thinking Fellers Union Local 282" on RYM. Their album Strangers from the Universe made the kind of impression on me that only happens a few times a year. They're like a cross between Meat Puppets and Built to Spill.

I was beginning to fear we would leave January without a great acoustic-female-vocalist-not-quite-folk-not-quite-rock album, but don't worry:

I'm VAGUELY familiar with the existence of Hadestown, but otherwise, I'd never heard of her before, so I was surprised to see this listed as her 8th studio album. Anyone know if it's worth going back over?

This year has been so slow with new releases. I haven't loved anything yet.

That has been corrected. Silvana Estrada's Marchita is the first album I've really loved this year. It's a beauty.

Last edited:
ha! I saw this morning that you were my friend on RYM that rated it and was going to ask you your thoughts, but you beat me to it. I enjoyed it quite a bit as well.

Speaking of RYM, if anyone has 2.5 hours to spend, this is QUITE good: https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/야야-킴-yaya-kim/a_k_a-yaya/

I just don't know how to rate an album this long. I will NEVER sit down and listen to it as an entire album again, but boy is it pleasant while it's on. Maybe at a dinner party...if I'm ever grown up enough to have one of those.

I've got exactly 2.5 hours until my first class starts, so yeah, I'll give it a go!

ha! I saw this morning that you were my friend on RYM that rated it and was going to ask you your thoughts, but you beat me to it. I enjoyed it quite a bit as well.

Speaking of RYM, if anyone has 2.5 hours to spend, this is QUITE good: https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/야야-킴-yaya-kim/a_k_a-yaya/

I just don't know how to rate an album this long. I will NEVER sit down and listen to it as an entire album again, but boy is it pleasant while it's on. Maybe at a dinner party...if I'm ever grown up enough to have one of those.

I've followed you on RYM eons ago! :lol:

I do think her record could be a big hit in the B&C crowd.

2.5 hours while parenting a toddler is a hard ask. But I might try it during my work-from-home days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom