Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This Big Thief album is good. I'm not sure how good yet, it's so sprawling that it will require many listens. Probably their most diverse album yet. I was totally thrown off by the Americana vibes of the closer, Blue Lightning. Little Things is my favorite song on first listen, but there's a lot of good stuff up and down the album. Time Escaping is a fun sound for them. Gave me some Spiders (Kidsmoke) vibes, particularly with her deadpan vocal delivery in the verses.

Last edited:
I'm wondering whether anyone here can help me understand this.

I really like the band Joywave, and their new album "Cleanse" is out today. But, they've been releasing songs from this album for about six months. Of the ten tracks on the album, six of them were available before today. I feel pretty underwhelmed listening to a "new" record where over half of it was released beforehand. Is there a reason for this kind of strategy?

I assume it's streaming related, keeping the band on rotation months before an actual release. It gets the songs into Spotify's Release Radar and similar playlists, which get a lot of traffic.

But like you, I am not a fan. I didn't like how the Beach House album has come out (there is no anticipation for next Friday when 3/4 of the album is out). Big Thief had like 6-7 songs out before today, which I mostly avoided, but still not fun.

I mean for me, I just listen to the first single and then I don't play any more of it until the album comes out. I get the strategy from the streaming standpoint, but it's not for me.

I liked the chapters thing that Beach House did. Kept me looking forward to the next one. And it helps that each one has its own vibe.

UFOF was pretty solidly my favorite Big Thief album but I think they came through with an even better one this time. Such a refreshing and exciting album.

New Spoon and Big Thief albums are fantastic. Vedder solo album is also enjoyable. February coming on strong with new music

Fuck, the halftime show was incredible. Genuinely got emotional at points. I grew up sneaking into my parents bedroom with headphones to watch broadcasts of Up in Smoke on TV.

I'm salty about Kendrick's part of the set too. Amazing and nostalgic show overall, though.

Kendrick should have better things to do than hang out with has-beens. Should have had the whole show to himself.

50 Cent still sucks.

Anyway, the new Spoon is maybe their best since Ga x 5? Second half probably not as strong as the first but that's my initial take. Some great rockers on this one.

The censoring really sucked, but it was a hell of a spectacle. And even though Kendrick was compromised, he still showed in about 30 seconds why he's a miles better rapper than anyone else involved in the show.

UFOF was pretty solidly my favorite Big Thief album but I think they came through with an even better one this time. Such a refreshing and exciting album.

I have listened to it all through the weekend and it gets better every time. Time Escaping, Spud Infinity, Little Things, Simulation Swarm... so many wonderful songs in there. This band can do no wrong, it seems. What a sequence of albums since Capacity.

Ok this is driving me insane. There's a bit in Tomoko Aran's Midnight Pretenders (which is sampled in Out of Time off The Weeknd's new album and repeated throughout) that sounds SO much like another song, and I can't for the life of me figure out where I've heard it before. Can anyone help? You can hear the bit I'm referring to at 0:09sec but it repeats throughout the song. WhoSampled has it being sampled in six songs, none of which are the song I'm thinking of.

are you asking about the descending keyboard slide at the very start of both songs, or the rising four-note "flute" phrase around 0:10?

All I know is I have Something About Us by Daft Punk stuck in my head after listening to that song. I don't think that's it though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom