Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh shit. Thanks for the reminder. Def listening to this today.

I love it. A bit darker than Remind Me Tomorrow, but building on that type of sound. Some really great songs, Mistakes being the catchiest (she was probably trying something similar to Seventeen but it’s not quite as good). Great stuff.

sheesh :drool:

don't click this if you haven't watched that video yet:

putting this behind a spoiler tag because hot damn that face switch got me good, and i don't want to ruin it for anyone else watching for the first time lol.

here's the cover art

5c1062d85088e4fb1311df54d19b86da.1000x1000x1.jpg

all the hands of the guys he swapped to in the video - OJ's glove, kobe's broken finger. kanye is at the top, jussie in the middle, and will & nipsey are top and bottom left.

kinda surprised kaepernick wasn't in the mix somewhere. once i saw what was going on, for the rest of the video i was expecting to see him.

kendrick just proved in 5 minutes that his time away from the game didn't diminish him in the slightest. i'm so hype for this album to come out :hyper:

Last edited:
My favourite part of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot might be the gorgeous, slightly jangly, upbeat guitar and undulating melody that comes through after Jeff's beautifully-sung "no it's not okay" lines. I love the contrast of the upbeat music and those lines, particularly the way that Jeff sings them in a sort it's-all-gonna-be-okay tone.

Does that description make sense? I get self-conscious when I talk about music sometimes, because I've never played.

haha, fuck. Kamera is the song I was referring to.

I haven't followed this whole Depp-Heard saga, mostly because I feel extremely uneasy about the amount of praise Depp is getting, particularly from left-leaning men.

Sagittarius A is awful. Everything else mostly fine/good. The boomer catastrophizing about phones isn't what I want to hear right now but I'm used to it from Win at this point. He always does this shit.

The lyrics to the entire End of Empire suite make Unknown Caller sound like high poetry. JFC.

I listened to Reflektor today and found it to be deeply flawed but a lot more exciting at its best and more approachable lyrically. It's Never Over is astonishing. I wish they had taken more chances like that but I understand why they played it safe after Everything Now.

Now through the entire album, I can't help but feel a bit depressed about it. It's like a survey of their entire discography done in severely diminished quality. What really is Unconditional 2 but a much worse version of Reflektor (the song) for example? Right down to the drive-by from a prog rock legend.

My favourite part of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot might be the gorgeous, slightly jangly, upbeat guitar and undulating melody that comes through after Jeff's beautifully-sung "no it's not okay" lines. I love the contrast of the upbeat music and those lines, particularly the way that Jeff sings them in a sort it's-all-gonna-be-okay tone.

Does that description make sense? I get self-conscious when I talk about music sometimes, because I've never played.

Ah, I spot my bat signal. Kamera is great. One of the real qualities of YHF is that underneath that heavy production the songwriting is really strong. It’s not a surprise that Jeff has a whole solo career playing many of these songs in acoustic form. To your point, I think the instrumental portion after the second “it’s not ok” with that modulating little synth line and the harmonized guitars is really what takes that song to another level.

I wish someone would write about what a neat trilogy YHF-AGIB-SBS represent, basically mirroring Jeff’s self-destructive descent into addiction and subsequent healing (Less Thank You Think being a neat middle point). SBS was unfairly maligned as dad rock when it came out, but it’s basically a record about recovery, and a very direct one at that (“Oh if I didn't die, I should be satisfied, I survived, it's good enough for now”). I’m pretty sure that Wilco wouldn’t exist as a band today if not for that process.

Last edited:
So Pitchfork is not going to review the Warpaint album? They've never been huge fans but have always given them decent ratings, and regularly post news items.

Kind of strange.

One of my friends from high school founded and runs a local summer / fall concert series. He started it up when I was in Texas, and I hadn't had a chance to go to any of the shows since I moved back to Utah due to the pandemic and such. I picked up a season VIP pass (ultra douche-bag seats), the lineup is pretty great this year. Excited to finally hit up a bunch of shows again.

June 21 - Bleachers
August 4 - Local Natives
August 6 - The Shins (Oh, Inverted World 21st Birthday Show)
August 8 - The National
August 25 - Beach House
August 30 - Modest Mouse
September 7 - Lauv
September 17 - Flume
September 22 - Chvrches
October 1 - TBA

https://www.ogdentwilight.com/

Omg I tried to order from a fish n chip shop up the road from me the cunt owner was so rude on the phone! I asked for a pack and to swap the dimmies for potato cakes, and one flake grilled one fried, which every fish n chip shop I've ever ordered from does, and he's like nope we don't do that, so I'm like fine I'll get two separate packs one grilled one fried, 'mate like I said you can't do that no alterations', so I had to order the grilled flake on its own, and then he goes 'once you get here and pay I'll start cooking it' and I'm like you're not gonna start cooking it?' and he goes 'mate it's a Friday night night I've been on the phone to you for 7 mins (it had been 4 cos I was confused why they weren't doing what every fish n chip shop does) so do what you want'. What a fucking prick. I hung up and went elsewhere.

One of my friends from high school founded and runs a local summer / fall concert series. He started it up when I was in Texas, and I hadn't had a chance to go to any of the shows since I moved back to Utah due to the pandemic and such. I picked up a season VIP pass (ultra douche-bag seats), the lineup is pretty great this year. Excited to finally hit up a bunch of shows again.

June 21 - Bleachers
August 4 - Local Natives
August 8 - The National
August 25 - Beach House
August 30 - Modest Mouse
September 7 - Lauv
September 17 - Flume
September 22 - Chvrches
October 1 - TBA

This is awesome! But also you're back in the Utah?

I wouldn't be even remotely surprised that I missed that.

Or even that I didn't miss it and I was already well aware.

June 21 - Bleachers
August 4 - Local Natives
August 8 - The National
August 25 - Beach House
August 30 - Modest Mouse
September 7 - Lauv
September 17 - Flume
September 22 - Chvrches
October 1 - TBA

That’s a great lineup! I’ll have to try and make it up to Ogden for a few of those.

A third of the way through the year, I've heard three A+ records already:

Duster - Together
Billy Woods - Aethiopes
The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention

I bought tickets to see Supergrass at the majestic Wiltern Theatre back in 2019, a show that was obviously postponed, and the rescheduled date finally happened last night.

If memory serves, I hadn't seen them since they toured for Life on Other Planets, so this was a long time coming. The band was in top form, Gaz's voice is still very strong--he can belt it out as well as he ever has.

Looking at the post-reunion setlists, they're pulling from a somewhat limited roster, and my only complaint was that they're leaning a bit too hard on the debut I Should Coco (7 songs) to please the basics. Obviously there's some fantastic stuff on there, but the raw and fast thing gets a little repetitive; did I need to hear all of I'd Like To Know, Mansize Rooster, Strange Ones, Lenny, Caught By The Fuzz? Two of those would have been fine to go along with the essential Alright and the more variant She's So Loose, and one of the album's best tracks Sitting Up Straight was nowhere to be found, nor the bluesy, Faces-esque Time.

Luckily they also gave a healthy heaping of In It For The Money (still their best album), opening with the title track, also Sun Hits The Sky, Richard III, Going Out, Late in the Day. Would have loved to hear Cheapskate and that stratosphere-reaching chorus but oh well.

They played the 3 singles from the self-titled ("X-Ray"); Moving, Pumping on Your Stereo, and Mary. And then it was only 4 songs total from the last 3 albums. While most people wouldn't put Road To Rouen or Diamond Hoo Ha up with the earlier LPs, something like Low C or Roxy would have been welcome. And there's really no excuse for not doing more of Life on Other Planets, which has both energy and variety--we only got Grace and Seen the Light.

Anyway, the show was so much fun, and it reminds me to finally catch up with Gaz's solo work. I do hope they change their minds about recording new material because I'd love to see if they can recapture the old magic on tape.

One last thing, the merch table was practically empty, just one poster and one t-shirt with the same busy, too-colorful image, and nothing with the iconic band silhouette logo. A missed opportunity considering the average age of the audience.

So Pitchfork is not going to review the Warpaint album? They've never been huge fans but have always given them decent ratings, and regularly post news items.

I enjoyed the album quite a bit. The pop-noir sound suits them.

Listening to Physical Graffiti this week. Always liked it but was never my favorite Zeppelin album. Really enjoying "The Rover"...killer track. Rocks hard.

It's my #2 LZ after Houses of the Holy. There's some iconic stuff on disc 1/sides 1 & 2, but I've always been more partial to the second half, particularly side 3. Ten Years Gone is phenomenal, In The Light should have opened the whole album instead of Custard Pie, and Down By The Seaside is a lovely ditty, the instrumental Bron-y-Aur equally gorgeous. And to think those last two are outtakes from 1970...definitely don't sound like filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom