Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never listened to Sonic Youth; I do like the vocals and guitar on this album although it does grate for 42 straight minutes. What album would you recommend I listen to?

:ohmy:

Daydream Nation.

Teenage Riot is one of my favorite songs ever, as cliche as that is.

Last edited:
Okay. I will play it after I've finished with Aladdin Sane, which, I think if you put a gun to my head, would be my favourite Bowie album. The first six songs are literally all 10s and so is Lady Grinning Soul.

Before I go off to bed:

1. Low
2. Station to Station
3. Ziggy
4. Hunky Dory
5. ★
(6. Alladin Sane)

Last edited:
God tier
1. Aladdin Sane
2. "Heroes"
3. Ziggy Stardust
4. ★
5. Low
6. Hunky Dory
7. Station to Station
8. Scary Monsters
9. Space Oddity

Excellent
10. Outside
11. Reality
12. The Gouster
13. Diamond Dogs
14. Young Americans
15. The Man Who Sold the World

Quite good
16. Heathen
17. The Next Day
18. Earthling
19. Lodger
20. Tonight

Meh
21. Let's Dance
22. Black Tie White Noise
23. Never Let Me Down
24. Hours

Definitely listen to Daydream Nation first, but I wouldn't be surprised if you prefer the later stuff because it's more accessible in a way. The run of Murray Street/Sonic Nurse/Rather Ripped is excellent and quite underrated if you ask me.

A Sonic Youth/Flaming Lips double bill on the Rather Ripped/At War with the Mystics tour was one of the first shows I ever saw. That was an amazing experience.

Last edited:
Listening to Van Morrison's classic live double for the first time tonight and I love this performance:

That whole album is fantastic. I thought I had written about it when I picked up a used copy at Amoeba a couple years ago but maybe not.

The lead track Ain't Nothin' You Can Do just puts me in a BIG MOOD. Saint Dominic's is definitely a highlight and then he follows it right up with Listen to the Lion, fucking epic.

Great selection of covers, too.

I'm going to make a bold statement here, and I'll qualify it by keeping it separate from jazz releases, but IMO this is easily in the Top 10 live rock/soul albums I've ever heard, maybe even Top 5. Vocally he's as good as he ever was, and the band is unbelievably tight.

Glad you're getting to hear this, finally.

Mine is the same as Gump's, but in a different order:

1. Station to Station (about as perfect as albums get)
2. Aladdin Sane
3. Low
4. Ziggy
5. Hunky Dory

HM: ★

For me Low is the best Bowie album (and probably top ten all time). After that it becomes really tough to rank. Heroes, Ziggy, and Aladdin Sane are all up there.

Station to Station is his best album, Teenage Wildlife is his best song.

I don't think I could pick one for his best song. I have hard enough of a time with a Bowie Mount Rushmore. It keeps changing but this has been my solid list for a while.

Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
Blackout
Golden Years
The Next Day

Best song is pretty easy for me, in that I only go back and forth between two of them. Depending on the day it's either "Heroes" or "Life on Mars?".

Heroes and Life and Mars are a very solid top 2. I can't think of any Bowie tracks to counter those with.

A New Career in a New Town is my favourite, with "Heroes", Life on Mars?, Teenage Wildlife, Strangers When We Meet, Subterraneans, I Can't Give Everything Away, Secret Life of Arabia, Lady Stardust, Space Oddity, Memory of a Free Festival, John I'm Only Dancing and about a billion others in the conversation.

I'm glad someone mentioned Lady Stardust. It's not my absolute favorite from him, but it is a damn good song. Whoever played piano with him between Hunky Dory and Aladdin Sane was amazing.

Any fans of Darkside should check out Dave Harrington's jazz project (just called "Dave Harrington Group). Their album Pure Imagination, No Country is an excellent jazz fusion record with some funk undertones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom