Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching Judas and the Black Messiah and really enjoying the score, I've been listening to some funk from around that time and oh my God this forgotten band Boscoe is something else:

http://youtu.be/g4rV9kTmjyw

http://youtu.be/3Ypo_7sQka8

Amazing grooves and highly radical lyricism for the time. Now and Den is absolutely transcendent. You can really hear the influence of Fred Hampton's message too.

Last edited:
Just saw it last night and hard agree. I wasn't sure if they were using old period songs or if it was new music done in that style, but either way, it cooked.

I like Julien Baker's fuller sound with Little Oblivions. My issue with her has generally been that I like her albums and never really go back to them after the first few weeks. Hoping this is different. There's a bit more range in the music, so it might encourage repeated listens.

They have a full line of those from different albums / singles, I've definitely considered buying one. I have the below giant wall decoration (mine is red though) from the same company that I hang up as a Halloween decoration every year, in addition to the below Halloween candy bucket.

https://super7.com/products/misfits-paper-people-fiend-black

FiendRedBUCKET_f616c5c3-8b91-471b-aa98-cc4855859742_2048x2048.png

Cobbs you should go see Midnight Oil play on Saturday down in Geelong. I'm jealous your country is having live concerts again already.

For everyone liking the new Julien Baker album, she did a Sirius XMU session where she covered Everything in Its Right Place at the end. She did an amazing job with it.

The speak-sing verses evoke Walk to the Water.

That's a good comparison, I didn't consider. The song reminds me of my oft-mentioned favorite: Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand. But with saxophone. And I think you all know me well enough by now to know that's a recipe for favorite song of all time territory.

A little late to the Stevie conversation...

I had probably been aware of RHCP's cover of "Higher Ground" beforehand, but I first really got into Stevie by way of the Cameron Crow film "High Fidelity", an atypical rom-com which involves John Cusack running a record store where Jack Black also works. You've all probably seen it, but if you haven't, get on it, it's right up B&C's alley.

Anyway, the film makes three references to Stevie.

First, Jack Black's character informs a customer that "I Just Called To Say I Love You" is "tacky sentimental crap"(I disagree, btw).

Second, Jack Black's character challenges John Cusack's character thusly:

"Rob. Top 5 musical crimes perpetrated by Stevie Wonder in the 80s and 90s. Go. Sub-question: is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins... is it better to burn out or fade awaaay?"

Third, the Talking Book closer "I Believe(When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)" was played over the ending credits.

I loved "I Believe...", and that sent me on a deep dive into his classic period.

I guess I'm one of those that gump referenced who never got into FFF as much as the others. I listened to it once or twice and never felt like coming back like I did, and still do, with Talking Book, Innervisions, and Songs In The Key Of Life. Maybe I should give it another shot.

It's incredible that he did everything between Music Of My Mind and Songs in just four years.

I find it difficult to rank these albums, other than that FFF would the last of the big four for me.

Talking Book contains some of my favorite songs - I Believe, Sunshine, Superstition, Maybe Your Baby, Blame It On The Sun - but Innervisions might be a better front-to-back experience, because while Talking Book contains a couple of tracks I'm not wild about - You And I, Tuesday Heartbreak - there's nary a weak track on Innervisions.

And Songs..., if you do the standard double-album exercise of making one album out of your favorite 10-12 songs, it's pretty unassailable. It'd be something like this for me:

1. Love In Need Of Love
2. Village Ghetto Land
3. Sir Duke
4. Knock Me Off My Feet
5. Pasttime Paradise
6. Summer Soft
7. Isn't She Lovely
8. As
9. Another Star
10. Saturn
11. Ebony Eyes
12. Easy Goin' Evening

Also, a word about some of his 80s stuff. I know "I Just Called To Say I Love You" is disliked by a lot of people and thought of as a big step down, but I have always loved it. It's just big, cheesy, catchy, feel-good fun.

And the year after that, he put out his "In Square Circle" album. I still have never listened to the rest of the album, but "Overjoyed" is a genuinely great song with some really soaring vocals that evoke his golden era.

He's a genius, and to say his influence on future generations of artists has been profound feels like an understatement.

Also, Phanan was talking about some of the best album runs that don't get mentioned as much; I think Billy Joel's six-album run from Turnstiles in 1976 to An Innocent Man in 1983 deserves a mention. We don't talk about him much here, and I think at least one of you is actively not a fan, but I think he's one of the great songwriters ever, and this is his classic period.

Turnstiles(1976)
The Stranger(1977)
52nd Street(1978)
Glass Houses(1980)
The Nylon Curtain(1982)
An Innocent Man(1983)

I'm glad you brought those albums up. I really love Billy Joel a lot, but I kinda stray away from the albums for whatever reason, and stick with the three disc greatest hits. When I was in college, I hated An Innocent Man, but I think I'm going to give it another spin today and see if my opinion's changed. I suspect it will have.

Report: Nope! Still not a fan. I guess I can downgrade from hate to just dislike, at least.

Yeah, if I were going for a 6 album run from Joel I'd start with Piano Man (much as the title track is way too played out, the album still has The Ballad of Billy the Kid and Captain Jack) through Glass Houses. Even call it a 7 album run and include The Nylon Curtain.
But An Innocent Man is where I get off. I hated Uptown Girl. If you are as old as fuck like me you saw that video with Christie Brinkley ad infinitum on MTV in 83-84. Young me hated that song and video, old me still does.

How's it going folks. I'm still lurking about, and it's good to see this place is still alive... more or less. Hope you're all safe and sound.

This is a bit shameless, but I did a blog where I'd written tiny impressions on thirty-three books, films, and music by thirty-three favourite artists for each of those categories. Plus three TV shows. I'm sure Interference had something to do with me discovering some of this stuff. You might find it interesting:

https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/

I wonder if we’ll ever see anything more from TV on the Radio. It’s been about 6 1/2 years since Seeds came out. I just gave their full discography a re-listen and it all holds up well. Really enjoyable.

I know at the end of the day this doesn't amount to a hill of beans to the rest of you all, but after just about a decade of trying, I have finally listened to Rocket by Primitive Radio Gods and did NOT hate it. In fact, I think I enjoy it now. It just took that long to get over the fact that they are not the band I want them to be, I think, and instead are just another decent alt/grunge band from the early 90s.

I'm over a week late here, but I've been meaning to comment on the Stevie Wonder talk a few days ago, and I'm glad that some attention was drawn to a couple of the albums outside the "big 4". But I guess I have a bit of a contrarian opinion in that, while I have all these albums from his peak era and enjoy the hell out of them, I do think it's a bit damning that his creative well dried up so quickly and never really returned. And it's baffling in that he was a legitimate genius who, like Prince, could sing and write so well, and play a multitude of instruments, a one-man music factory.

The difference is that Prince did this across 5 decades, whereas Stevie's classic album run lasted less than 10 years. So there's a reason why he might be "underrated" and it's because he didn't really have much staying power. I guess one could say the same of Brian Wilson, but he has the excuse of a mental breakdown.

Even if we just judged Prince on his first 10 years, compared to Wonder's run from 1970 to 1980, you're looking at:

For You
Prince
Dirty Mind
Controversy
Purple Rain
Around the World in a Day
Parade
Sign O' The Times + Crystal Ball
(The Black Album)
Lovesexy

Sorry, but even without the 3 Album of the Year Grammys, that blows Wonder out of the water IMO.

And while the consistency and overall quality of Prince's albums may have flagged by the mid-90s and 2000s, and his popularity would fluctuate over the years, he was still cranking out a fuckload of stellar material, year after year after year, and was still going when he died.

Now obviously that's a high standard to hold any other artist to. But even beyond Prince, if we look at other solo legends with long careers, like Dylan, Bowie, Van Morrison, Lou Reed, Springsteen, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young...hell, even Madonna...they all had their ups and downs and fallow periods, but they all rebounded from them, some numerous times. You didn't see that with Stevie, unless you consider Conversation Peace or A Time To Love notable comebacks, which I don't.

By comparison, he appears more like Sly Stone, who had an explosive run and then fizzled out, never coming close to that level again. Or, to be more fair, Brian Wilson as I mentioned above. Which still is an impressive distinction. But it does put him below these other artists who had a lot more left in the tank and gave us 30+ years of good-to-great music.

Last edited:
New Japanese Breakfast album out in June! Absolutely loving the first single - it is so much fun and has a really great groove.

Yeah that song is great.

I wonder if we’ll ever see anything more from TV on the Radio. It’s been about 6 1/2 years since Seeds came out. I just gave their full discography a re-listen and it all holds up well. Really enjoyable.

If we do, I hope it's better than Seeds. I have that on vinyl, because the vinyl was super pretty, but it would probably be the biggest discrepancy in my record collection between how the set looks and how it actually is to listen to. Not a bad album, just really pedestrian, from a band that was never pedestrian.

Let's all take a moment to appreciate how well this Bruno Mars/Anderson.Paak collab turned out:

Can't wait for the album.

I had a visceral reaction when I heard they were doing an album together. Bruno Mars is hugely underrated. Pretty much every overplayed pop hit he's released has been a banger and this song is killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom