Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
62d5397f377650226c84ebf0b42039ab.jpg

With it being the time of year where there are only a handful of new albums out by any artists I've ever heard of, this is where I'll listen to just about anything that has above a 70 on Metacritic. Even then, I almost skipped this one when I saw the genre tags Baroque Pop and Tom Waits listed as an influence. Glad I didn't! Quite solid and I would think something Interference might enjoy:

He's apparently friendly with a lot of bigger names out there, specifically Jarvis Cocker, so I suspect this may be one of those acts that's on the rise. Or perhaps he bubbles under forever, who knows. This isn't exactly radio friendly stuff. Also he did some Twin Peaks and Mr. Rogers music last year, so that's probably something I'll check out.

Thanks for this, Ashley. I get the Tom Waits reference for sure, such an odd, distinctive voice. If not for the vocals, I could mistake that first track you shared, Vinegar Hill, for Pizzicato Five or any early Shibuya-kei group, such is the way he combines a traditional Bossa Nova beat with that lush feel.

Last edited:
In other non-news, Loveless is still so fucking good.

I've been thinking a lot about the favorite albums of all time list we were discussing a few weeks ago. I think Loveless would be in my top 10 at this point. I really can't find any flaws in it. And even if it is about the album experience more than any individual song, Someday is just so incredible. What a band. I wish the vinyl wasn't so ridiculously expensive for me to own it.

Last edited:
^^Speaking of Loveless...

1991 was an absolutely legendary year for music - the list of albums released, including Loveless, is mind-boggling - and seeing as it's now been 30 years, it wouldn't surprise me if we see commemorations/retrospectives/etc for a number of these.

(in order of release date)

Queen - Innuendo(the last album before Freddie's death - the title track is one of my favorite tracks of theirs, period) - 2/4(30 years to the day today)
REM - Out Of Time - 3/12
Temple Of The Dog - Self-Titled - 4/16
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish - 5/28
Seal - Self-titled debut(this is the one with "Crazy" on it) - 6/11
Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge(maybe their last semi-relevant album, "Right Now" was big, and 316 is great little Eddie solo) - 6/18
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Into The Great Wide Open - 7/2
Metallica - Black Album - 8/12
Pearl Jam - Ten - 8/27
GnR - Use Your Illusions I&II - 9/17
Nirvana - Nevermind - 9/24
RHCP - BloodSugarSexMagik - 9/24
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger - 9/24
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless - 11/4
U2 - Achtung Baby - 11/18
Michael Jackson - Dangerous - 11/26(Was hesitant to include this one - are we still allowed to talk about him or has he been cancelled altogether? This was the last classic album of his, which spawned a couple of huge singles in "Black Or White" and "Remember The Time")

And that doesn't include hip-hop stuff like Public Enemy's "Apocalypse 91" or Tupac's debut.

Dangerous was a good album. Remember the Time was my favorite track. But, obviously, a LOT has happened since then. I no longer listen to any of his music and I will change the station if a song of his comes on the radio.

1991 was an awesome year for music! 30 years! Holy shit!

1991 was an absolutely legendary year for music - the list of albums released, including Loveless, is mind-boggling - and seeing as it's now been 30 years, it wouldn't surprise me if we see commemorations/retrospectives/etc for a number of these.

Queen - Innuendo(the last album before Freddie's death - the title track is one of my favorite tracks of theirs, period) - 2/4(30 years to the day today)

REM - Out Of Time - 3/12

Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge(maybe their last semi-relevant album, "Right Now" was big, and 316 is great little Eddie solo) - 6/18

Pearl Jam - Ten - 8/27

Michael Jackson - Dangerous - 11/26(Was hesitant to include this one - are we still allowed to talk about him or has he been cancelled altogether? This was the last classic album of his, which spawned a couple of huge singles in "Black Or White" and "Remember The Time")

And that doesn't include hip-hop stuff like Public Enemy's "Apocalypse 91" or Tupac's debut.

Add Spiderland, Low End Theory, Massive Attack’s Blue Lines, and Takk Takk’s Laughing Stock to the list.

Thanks for this, Ashley. I get the Tom Waits reference for sure, such an odd, distinctive voice. If not for the vocals, I could mistake that first track you shared, Vinegar Hill, for Pizzicato Five or any early Shibuya-kei group, such is the way he combines a traditional Bossa Nova beat with that lush feel.

Glad you liked it! You and a few other people were specifically who I was posting that for ;)

Add Spiderland, Low End Theory, Massive Attack’s Blue Lines, and Takk Takk’s Laughing Stock to the list.

Cypress Hill's self-titled debut, Primal Scream's Screamadelica, Ice Cube's Death Certificate, Ice-T's Original Gangster, Bonnie Raitt's Luck of the Draw, Lenny Kravitz's Mama Said, De La Soul is Dead, The KLF's The White Room, Prince's Diamonds and Pearls, Crowded House's Woodface, Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend, The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Underworld, Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque, Pixies's Trompe le Monde, Dinosaur Jr's Green Mind, Saint Etienne's Foxbase Alpha, Hole's Pretty on the Inside, Electronic's self-titled, EMF's Schubert Dip, Throwing Muses's The Real Ramona (something from here was on my most-recent DI submission), Sting's The Soul Cages, Van Morrison's Hymns to the Silence, Superchunk's No Pocky For Kitty, Slowdive's Just For A Day.

And there were also some prominent popular albums that I didn't care about but certainly make the year even busier: Bryan Adams, Paula Abdul, Genesis, Jesus Jones, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, Color Me Badd, Naughty By Nature, Skid Row, Mr. Big, Roxette, Mariah Carey, P.M. Dawn, Ozzy Osbourne, Boyz II Men.

Stacked, to say the least.

I'm loving the new John Carpenter album so far. All 3 of his recentish albums have been great.

in case you were in any doubt about Phoebe Bridgers being awesome and I Know the End being the best

I really love some of the lyrics in that crescendo/outro.

"Went looking for a creation myth
Ended up with a pair of cracked lips"

"Either way, we're not alone
I'll find a new place to be from
A haunted house with a picket fence
To float around and ghost my friends"

She's such a wonderful lyricist.

Looks like Hayley Williams released a surprise album this week, a follow up to last year's Petals for Armor.

I'm listening to Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavoured Water. Sorry to offend, but this is a fucking great album, pretty much from start to finish.

There are approximately 37,464,739,383,739,229 albums I need to get to first, but it's on the list.

I think it's contextual, it was one of my formative albums, so I can't divorce it from that. So I can't see you loving it, but I hope you can see the merit.

This doesn't happen a lot to me, but I just came across an instrumental song that makes me want to build a whole DI list around it. I won't post it in case I do use it in a hypothetical DI, but I really love these random discoveries.

Last edited:
Well I just heard the first album of 2021 that I really enjoyed: Before Sunrise by Nana Yamato. I'm not usually huge on bedroom pop, but this one has charms all over the place and just enough off-kilter flourishes to keep it from becoming background music.

I knew Todd Rundgren produced an album for Hall and Oates in the 70s but holy shit they really just said "fuck it, you make the album and we'll stand over here"

Love this shit, as I love both acts, just think it's funny how hard Todd dominated the album. It turns into Daryl Hall singing Utopia a few times. :lol:

REM - Out Of Time - 3/12

Pearl Jam - Ten - 8/27

Imagine being alive at that time listening to all those albums while also drinking Crystal Pepsi and playing Street Fighter 2 for the first time. Our existence probably peaked that year.

That was a god year for hip-hip. Tribe Called Quest released Low End Theory that year.

REM - Out Of Time - 3/12
Pearl Jam - Ten - 8/27

Plus, the birth of one artist now known as Jerry Dunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom