Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently downloaded my Spotify records to try to reconstruct my play history (no good - they only have my history for the last year), but found out something curious/scary/strange: they share the "inferences" they make about your profile on the basis of your music and podcast listening habits). So here are some of the things Spotify assumes about me:
- Sugar drink buyer (nope).
- Candy buyer (nope) - though I'm starting to think that they may have used some bubblegum pop listening too literally perhaps?
- Champagne drinker (sure, but what the hell in my listening habit suggests that? And no, I have not played the Oasis song in years)
- Chocolate lover (ditto)
- Contact lens wearer (nope, but wtf)
- Banana Republic competitor shopper (what?)
- Costco Shopper (never been to one, don't have a car and the closest is miles and miles away)
- Finance Person Know-It-All (lol, no)
- Hot Sauce fans (seriously, what makes them think that?)
- Snowboarder (nope, last time I went to a ski slope since I had a first generation iPod)
- I seem to be a "consumer" of literally every type of alcoholic beverage in existence (fact check: partly true).
- Politics - voted in the last election (I can't vote here).

Anyways, you get the gist. Gotta love AI and the privacy-less age.

:lol: now i have to go download my file and see what the algorithm thinks of me.

Alright, time for me to overhype another Q1 album because nothing else is out.

ABBA + Fleetwood Mac + Weyes Blood =

I have no idea who this person is but I'm glad they thought to make an album that sounds like this. I love it. Hits the soft rock/classic AM pop sweet spot that A Girl Called Eddy and Tennis did early on last year.

If you listen to nothing else, listen to Only For Tonight. Such a great single.

Last edited:
lol, I know her. She's been playing around Echo Park/Silver Lake for years. My friend takes a lot of photos for her and directed at least one of her videos.

She also delivered weed to one of my roommate once.

I think her previous work is more countryish, if memory serves.

That's wild. Los Angeles is smaller than people think.

She's really active on social media. Like she actually responds to YouTube comments herself :lol:

Occasionally it sounded just a little too much like Abba, but otherwise, yeah, this is probably going to be in my rotation all year.

You can have this one, Travis. :wink:

I think I caught a few nice little nods to Laura Branigan in there as well.

Should we start a B&C-inside scheme to drive stock prices up and screw up hedge funds? Tower Records stocks?

Should we start a B&C-inside scheme to drive stock prices up and screw up hedge funds? Tower Records stocks?

This whole situation has me so confused, angry, confused again, and full of FOMO because I knew this was happening like a week ago and I didn't invest.

Speak to me when she responds to your DMs ;)

Where are you following GCE on social? I haven't found her.

This whole situation has me so confused, angry, confused again, and full of FOMO because I knew this was happening like a week ago and I didn't invest.

I know... imagine getting those stocks at 4 dollars. But anyways, I hope - though don’t expect - they manage to bring that hedge fund down.

Where are you following GCE on social? I haven't found her.
Yeahhhh I definitely have serious FOMO with the stocks thing.

I love that people were able to make money by screwing over some Wall Street rich boys but it's all a bit over my head.

wtf is happening with the stock market? I've been away on a retreat the last three days and now everyone is talking about it

Some investment groups had committed to buying lots of shares in Gamestop and a few others at whatever price they happened to be at on a future date, betting that the stocks were going to tumble and they could get them for dirt cheap (that's called "shorting," to bet that something is going to fail).

Some Reddit investment group noticed all the transaction commitments and encouraged its members to buy those stocks in a frenzy, driving the price way up for the date when the hedge funds had committed to buy and consequently costing them a lot of money. But now a lot of people are holding these stocks that obviously represent a bubble, so I don't know what happens from here. That is to say I don't think it's a good thing to be holding those stocks right now.

I’m actually listening to Weezer’s Ok Human all the way through. I haven’t gave Weezer a try since the early 2000s. This isn’t a horrible album. But yeah, there’s some cringe on it. At 30 minutes it’s not a taxing listen.

Last edited:
I’m actually listening to Weezer’s Ok Human all the way through. I haven’t gave Weezer a try since the early 2000s. This isn’t a horrible album. But yeah, there’s some cringe on it. At 30 minutes it’s not a taxing listen.

Yeah its just kind of light and inoffensive. Nothing earth shattering, nothing horrible.
Screens and Grapes of Wrath probably the best 2 tracks. Hopefully the last time they eschew the electric guitar for a full album.

Looking forward to Van Weezer when it drops, should be more to my liking if its as described. (Hopefully Rivers hasn't studied at Bono University and majored in Edge is on Fire with a minor in Punk Rock from Venus).

Fully agree about the new Goat Girl - a big improvement over their strong debut. For other albums I've heard so far out today, I really love this debut by Anna B Savage - filled with stark, haunting and emotionally raw songs.

I also listened to The Future Bites by Steven Wilson and holy shit, it's terrible. What the hell happened? I know some of his more recent work got a mixed reception here but there's nearly nothing of value on his latest. Only three tracks, "King Ghost," "12 Things I Forgot" and "Count of Unease" are decent. This might be the biggest drop in quality for an artist I like since Everything Now.

Everything Now, what a piece of shit that was.

I just saw the film clip for Time to Pretend on TV, had never seen it before, and found myself very moved by it. I've always been moved by the song. I'm having a tough time so that's adding to it, but yeah. I also then saw this film clip, which I thought was a riot and fit the song really well (I've never been interested to listen to this band).

Also, my partner is really, really loving Fetch the Bolt Cutters, which is making me really happy. Further proof of the record's general appeal (you don't have to be a Fiona acolyte or music aficionado to enjoy it).

Yeah its just kind of light and inoffensive. Nothing earth shattering, nothing horrible.
Screens and Grapes of Wrath probably the best 2 tracks. Hopefully the last time they eschew the electric guitar for a full album.

Looking forward to Van Weezer when it drops, should be more to my liking if its as described. (Hopefully Rivers hasn't studied at Bono University and majored in Edge is on Fire with a minor in Punk Rock from Venus).
I enjoyed it a lot, though as always I wish the lyrics were less cheesy and relied less on easy rhymes. Aloo Gobi is difficult to get through.

Loved the string arrangements though. Numbers is a great song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom