Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going in is criminal but attending is still unhinged and batshit cult-like crazy.

Yes, but, as is usually the case, more and more bad shit is coming out about him with each passing day. I really like Before Today, and he put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen, but to be perfectly honest, I'm probably not going to listen to him anymore. Both because I was losing interest anyways and because I have no time for any of these people to take up space in my brain any longer.

That did not disappoint, LM. The whole album is great, but that 40-minute version of Long Season is sublime. Thanks a lot for recommending. It has an insane rating in RYM, and deservedly so. This will quickly join my lists of favorite. By the way, I didn’t realize the lead singer had passed away just a few months after this performance, which turned out to be his last. Damn.
Yeah, they went out at their peak. Their last studio album was excellent and they were never better as a live band.

If you like dub, some of their early work has some nice integration of it, especially on Orange.

Deap Vally releasing new EP in late February. Collaborations with Jenny Lee Lindberg of Warpaint, KT Tunstall, Peaches, Soko, Jamie Hince of The Kills, Zach Dawes of Mini Mansions.

Preview single out today is the one with Jennylee.

New sound for them, I like it:

I liked that quite a bit! They haven't been my cup of tea in the past, but I'll be curious to check out the EP.

Finally got around to Girl Called Eddy's first album. Just as good as the new one. I'm going to listen to the EP as well and then...I guess wait very impatiently for 16 years until she releases something else.

I always hated that song and the idiot frontman of that band, particularly for these choice lyrics:

Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around, we'll kick your asses

:rolleyes:

How'd that work out for you, one hit wonder? At leas the Gallaghers were able to back up their bullshit for a couple albums.

A lot of people get in a twist about that lyric. It's never bothered me, but I do laugh at it rather derisively whenever I hear it.

Well, now I'm listening to the album again, and fuck, "Mother We Just Can't Ge Enough" has to be one of my favorite songs of all time. I don't listen to it nearly enough.

I disagree with both of you. I'm gonna have to defend that song. I love it.

Those lyrics that Laz quoted got a lot of coverage back in the day, but I feel like people complaining about it are probably thinking about those lyrics more than the guy was when he wrote them. Are they dumb lyrics? Yeah. Is it worth, like, being pissy about it 20+ years later? No. I don't even think the artists referenced cared that much. Manson said he was more upset about being put in a sentence with Courtney Love then about the 'kick their asses' thing, and Hanson ended up working with the guy on a song some years later.

I don't know if I'd call him a one-hit wonder either...I mean technically he is of course, but that term carries the implication that an artist or group were never able to match the success of that one hit; with TNR, it's not like they released further albums and singles that weren't successful, the guy just quit after that one album(which had another single - "Someday We'll Know" - which wasn't a big hit then, but became pretty well-known over time), because he simply didn't enjoy the promotional angle of the job, and he didn't enjoy being famous. Take this quote:

"the fatigue of traveling & getting three hours sleep in a different hotel every night to do boring 'hanging and schmoozing' with radio and retail people, is definitely not for [him]"

He hasn't been a recording artist at all in 20+ years. He instead made a career writing and producing for other people. Among other things, he wrote a song that got nominated for an Academy Award in 2015.

Anyway, I like the song, and I would've thought those of you posting on a Shuttlecock forum would like it too, since it couldn't sound more like he was trying, musically and vocally, to make a U2 song if it tried. I always thought the band could nail a cover of this song in their sleep.

EDIT: I see Ashley likes the song too. Yay.

Last edited:
I've heard it a billion times, not once because I've actively sought it out, but because it's used in ads and plays on the radio all the time. I don't hate it by any stretch, it's a pretty perfect pop/light rock song. It's fine.

That song is a gem and I'll defend it anytime. A perfect pop song with superb chord changes, lush production and a really great message that resonates in these dark times. Coming back for the inauguration is an inspired choice.

You know when one of those artists you've always struggled with finally clicks? I'm not sure why I had never connected with Talk Talk. Until now. This stuff is pretty much right up my alley. Laughing Stock did the trick, though I still need to go back to Spirit of Eden.

I just listened to the you got the music in you song, it is really good. A classic and LM is right about its hopeful lyrics. I would also be very surprised if they hadn't done a live version of this song that wasn't stripped and slowed down to just the piano.

I've gone fully down the rabbit hole now. I'm listening to the album and actually quite enjoying it haha. Also, he produced Murder on the Dancefloor. What a king.

I disagree with both of you. I'm gonna have to defend that song. I love it.

Those lyrics that Laz quoted got a lot of coverage back in the day, but I feel like people complaining about it are probably thinking about those lyrics more than the guy was when he wrote them. Are they dumb lyrics? Yeah. Is it worth, like, being pissy about it 20+ years later? No. I don't even think the artists referenced cared that much. Manson said he was more upset about being put in a sentence with Courtney Love then about the 'kick their asses' thing, and Hanson ended up working with the guy on a song some years later.

I don't know if I'd call him a one-hit wonder either...I mean technically he is of course, but that term carries the implication that an artist or group were never able to match the success of that one hit; with TNR, it's not like they released further albums and singles that weren't successful, the guy just quit after that one album(which had another single - "Someday We'll Know" - which wasn't a big hit then, but became pretty well-known over time), because he simply didn't enjoy the promotional angle of the job, and he didn't enjoy being famous. Take this quote:

"the fatigue of traveling & getting three hours sleep in a different hotel every night to do boring 'hanging and schmoozing' with radio and retail people, is definitely not for [him]"

He hasn't been a recording artist at all in 20+ years. He instead made a career writing and producing for other people. Among other things, he wrote a song that got nominated for an Academy Award in 2015.

Anyway, I like the song, and I would've thought those of you posting on a Shuttlecock forum would like it too, since it couldn't sound more like he was trying, musically and vocally, to make a U2 song if it tried. I always thought the band could nail a cover of this song in their sleep.

EDIT: I see Ashley likes the song too. Yay.

I approve this post

I know we've just wrapped up the 2020 Interference best of an all, but wow, trying to find some quotes for some of those albums was really difficult. I'm going to try and be better about discussing albums I loved more often. With that, I don't think I ever really talked about Rina Sawayama's album here, and it was my favorite of the year, so please, enjoy a few tracks:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom