Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there's no point having an AC/DC greatest hits album. You just buy Back in Black, or any album from the 70s or 80s really. They all sound exactly the same.

I have Back in Black and Razor's Edge. Thunderstruck is the last AC/DC song that really interested me.

I wouldn't mind having Dirty Deeds and Highway to Hell (the songs), but otherwise I don't really feel like I'm missing anything.

I was bored so I wanted to read about the new AC/DC album and found this gem:

“Power Up is the first album since 1985's Fly on the Wall to not include a track containing the word "rock" in the title. It is also the first album since 1988's Blow Up Your Video to not include a title track.”

Heh.

Piggybacking on my Arctic Monkeys comment from a few days ago - Star Treatment is my favorite song of theirs. It, along with One Point Perspective, are largely why I now consider this my favorite album by them.

What's odd is that, unless Wiki is wrong, they never released a Greatest Hits album?

Closest thing is Who Made Who, a soundtrack with a few new songs and a selection of previous hits (my friend used to play it all the time in the car).

One could argue their AC/DC live album would be all you need, but I do think it's necessary to hear the Bon Scott era if you want to really evaluate the band.

I do think it's necessary to hear the Bon Scott era if you want to really evaluate the band.

I mean if you put together a greatest hits/best of album, I'd think at least half of it is going to be Bon Scott era material, then you add in a fair chunk of Back in Black and probably like 2 other songs (For Those About to Rock and maybe either Thunderstruck or Who Made Who) and you have your album.

So let's give it 12 tracks, would be something along the lines of:

T.N.T.
It's a Long Way to The Top
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Big Balls
Whole Lotta Rosie
Highway to Hell
Hell's Bells
You Shook Me All Night Long
Back in Black
Shoot to Thrill
For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)
Thunderstruck

That's 6 Scott and 6 Johnson.

You could also make an argument for any number of other Scott era tunes like The Jack, Jailbreak, Problem Child , Girls Got Rhythm and a few others, and you could argue for almost any other song from Back in Black for the Johnson era.

But they should have stopped after 1981 and For Those About to Rock. There's really nothing much worthwhile after that and it became far too formulaic. Contrary to what Cobbler would have folks believe the Scott era stuff isn't all that formulaic, a fair amount of blues type material in those years, and Back in Black is a great hard rock album.

I mean if you put together a greatest hits/best of album, I'd think at least half of it is going to be Bon Scott era material, then you add in a fair chunk of Back in Black and probably like 2 other songs (For Those About to Rock and maybe either Thunderstruck or Who Made Who) and you have your album.

So let's give it 12 tracks, would be something along the lines of:

T.N.T.
It's a Long Way to The Top
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Big Balls
Whole Lotta Rosie
Highway to Hell
Hell's Bells
You Shook Me All Night Long
Back in Black
Shoot to Thrill
For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)
Thunderstruck

That's 6 Scott and 6 Johnson.

You could also make an argument for any number of other Scott era tunes like The Jack, Jailbreak, Problem Child , Girls Got Rhythm and a few others, and you could argue for almost any other song from Back in Black for the Johnson era.

But they should have stopped after 1981 and For Those About to Rock. There's really nothing much worthwhile after that and it became far too formulaic. Contrary to what Cobbler would have folks believe the Scott era stuff isn't all that formulaic, a fair amount of blues type material in those years, and Back in Black is a great hard rock album.

Hell's Bells is probably redundant, it's not even in the top 1/2 of the Back In Black songs. But I agree on most of that.

I just listened to Dirty Deeds for the first time in ages and goddamn is that a great one. I can't imagine a Best Of without like 3 of those tracks.

I actually heard Ride On on the radio the other day, and thought it was a great song.

And that should be one of them.

If we call it "Greatest Hits", then yes we can add Money Talks, perhaps in place of Shoot to Thrill...if we call it "Best of..." then no, cause, no, its not their best song, or even close. :wink:

I get what you’re saying, but they are essentially the same type of album.

Speaking of artists with no greatest hits or best of, I see the White Stripes have one coming out. Man, they jam packed it. 26 songs on one disc.

Last edited:
Hello interference fam.

I hope you are all staying as healthy, safe and sane as is possible. My last post was just a few weeks before Covid-19 really took hold here in the U.S. but it feels like it was years ago.

For anyone that gives a flying fuck (can you still curse here?) I am doing well, all things considered. I am still in Southern California and have been working from home since mid March. I'll leave it there lest I bore everyone into oblivion.

I will spoiler this next portion, it's just some random shit

Everyone should watch "The Bureau", a 5 season long TV series from France. It's fantastic, doubly so if you like the espionage genre.

So was the Watchmen, holy shit, god bless that show. I am watching The Good Lord Bird right now, which has been a good watch as well.

I have more or less hit my limit on digging new bands/most new music, sadly. I knew this day would dawn eventually - but there are exceptions, such as the new Doves album and the new Bruce album, both of which I like a lot. Western Stars by the Boss was also lovely. Oh and I loved the new Fleet Foxes album, too, but I am a sucker for Robin Pecknold's voice.

Work has been insane since the pandemic began so it's not like my free time increased greatly, but the lockdown coupled with the subsequent lack of social options/most of my circle wanting to lay as low as possible has really granted me an opportunity to read more than I have in ages, and I've been listening to so much music, it's been fun to have a go at so many different discographies, etc. And show binging too. Blah blah, the standard shit I guess, along with trying to learn to play the keyboard and trying to learn a little Spanish.

I do not know who still comes here regularly or sporadically but GAF if you are around, I thought of you a lot during this MLB season. That team was no fluke, too, I don't think, so that's legitimately exciting for the future of the Pale Hose.

I might stop by a little more frequently, so for anyone that remembers me and finds that thought unnerving, you should have admin get working on a ban, now.

One last thing - up until last week, I had shied away from eating in a restaurant, be it inside or outside, out of caution, and I suppose fear, related to Covid. I just don't feel safe, I guess, with so many variables out of my control, including how people approach mask wearing/distancing, etc. But a friend was in my neck of the woods and was encouraging of giving it a go so we picked a local restaurant with outdoor seating without really researching it and I took the plunge. Well, I won't be making that mistake again anytime soon. I guess I could elaborate on all the irresponsible things that went on at this establishment, both from staff and patrons, but sometimes a picture resonates much more effectively. I will upload one of the many I took so you can see the level of neglect for yourself.

backstagecoachella.jpg

Bye (for now?)

I fucking knew what was going to be in that spoiler tag and I still clicked and still laughed was disgusted.

Good to see you, Mike! I was *literally* going to GChat you today, weird.

If we call it "Greatest Hits", then yes we can add Money Talks, perhaps in place of Shoot to Thrill...if we call it "Best of..." then no, cause, no, its not their best song, or even close. :wink:

How dare you.

Hell's Bells is probably redundant, it's not even in the top 1/2 of the Back In Black songs. But I agree on most of that.

Man, apparently I'm unpopular AC/DC opinions over here, because I think Hell's Bells is one of their most interesting and worthwhile songs.

Hello interference fam.

I hope you are all staying as healthy, safe and sane as is possible. My last post was just a few weeks before Covid-19 really took hold here in the U.S. but it feels like it was years ago.

For anyone that gives a flying fuck (can you still curse here?) I am doing well, all things considered. I am still in Southern California and have been working from home since mid March. I'll leave it there lest I bore everyone into oblivion.

I will spoiler this next portion, it's just some random shit

Everyone should watch "The Bureau", a 5 season long TV series from France. It's fantastic, doubly so if you like the espionage genre.

So was the Watchmen, holy shit, god bless that show. I am watching The Good Lord Bird right now, which has been a good watch as well.

I have more or less hit my limit on digging new bands/most new music, sadly. I knew this day would dawn eventually - but there are exceptions, such as the new Doves album and the new Bruce album, both of which I like a lot. Western Stars by the Boss was also lovely. Oh and I loved the new Fleet Foxes album, too, but I am a sucker for Robin Pecknold's voice.

Work has been insane since the pandemic began so it's not like my free time increased greatly, but the lockdown coupled with the subsequent lack of social options/most of my circle wanting to lay as low as possible has really granted me an opportunity to read more than I have in ages, and I've been listening to so much music, it's been fun to have a go at so many different discographies, etc. And show binging too. Blah blah, the standard shit I guess, along with trying to learn to play the keyboard and trying to learn a little Spanish.

I do not know who still comes here regularly or sporadically but GAF if you are around, I thought of you a lot during this MLB season. That team was no fluke, too, I don't think, so that's legitimately exciting for the future of the Pale Hose.

I might stop by a little more frequently, so for anyone that remembers me and finds that thought unnerving, you should have admin get working on a ban, now.

One last thing - up until last week, I had shied away from eating in a restaurant, be it inside or outside, out of caution, and I suppose fear, related to Covid. I just don't feel safe, I guess, with so many variables out of my control, including how people approach mask wearing/distancing, etc. But a friend was in my neck of the woods and was encouraging of giving it a go so we picked a local restaurant with outdoor seating without really researching it and I took the plunge. Well, I won't be making that mistake again anytime soon. I guess I could elaborate on all the irresponsible things that went on at this establishment, both from staff and patrons, but sometimes a picture resonates much more effectively. I will upload one of the many I took so you can see the level of neglect for yourself.

backstagecoachella.jpg

Bye (for now?)

:wave:

Glad to hear you're safe and still on the Best Coast. Too bad you're avoiding the streets because I'm definitely still on them, would love to run into you again one of these days!

locke.gif

You just knew that was gonna be the pic.

I didn't catch on until right near the end of the paragraph, and then I started laughing right before I clicked on the spoiler tag.

Mike!

Hell yes. The best show I've seen in years. It led me to finally watch The Leftovers (I'm halfway through season 3), and holy shit, Lindelof can do no wrong.

Good to hear from you, man. It is an extraordinarily exciting time to be a White Sox fan, I love our roster so much. Tim Anderson is quickly becoming my favorite baseball player ever. And I love Giolito, Eloy, Abreu, Robert, Moncada, and everybody else, too. I think the La Russa hire is absurd and regressive but it's not like he will stop those guys from being young, fun, and super talented.

I knew the second I saw the username/avatar what would be at the end of the post, and it filled my heart and soul with joy immediately, before even reading the actual post. Thanks, Mike, and all my love to you.

I'd like to announce that I now have a completely new and overwhelming love for Sufjan's "Should Have Known Better".

[tweet]1329954102369894401[/tweet]

Also, I never got in on the bashing of "freedom has a scent / like the top of a newborn baby's head" anyway, but now I feel even more connected to that song, too. I hadn't been around a newborn baby since my sister was born in 98... it's an amazing smell.

Mike!

Hell yes. The best show I've seen in years. It led me to finally watch The Leftovers (I'm halfway through season 3), and holy shit, Lindelof can do no wrong.

I have randomly fallen in love with Don Johnson in the last year or so, and I've been dying to watch Watchmen. I don't know why I didn't spend this whole time I was stuck at home recoop'ing watching it.

Oh, yes I do: Because the HBO app on the Roku won't let me log in anymore :scream:.

Also, I never got in on the bashing of "freedom has a scent / like the top of a newborn baby's head" anyway, but now I feel even more connected to that song, too. I hadn't been around a newborn baby since my sister was born in 98... it's an amazing smell.

I couldn't help laughing at myself when I got home from the hospital and realized I forgot to smell my baby's head when she was first born. By the time I got home it was like, "Meh, this is an old baby now. The moment is lost." :lol:. Congrats to your family!

I'd like to announce that I now have a completely new and overwhelming love for Sufjan's "Should Have Known Better".

[tweet]1329954102369894401[/tweet]

The best thing about this pic is that you finally shaved the back of that godawful mullet. Now shave the rest of it off.

Congrats!

Amazon hitting a new low. Vinyl album delivered in a bag instead of a box. Like... seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom