Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to the point where I just exclude metal as a genre whenever I make a chart. Like if I want to check top rated Brazilian albums please don’t come at me with Sepultura.

I have a difficult time, mentally, doing things like that. I begin to worry that maybe I'm missing out on what could be my favorite album of the year!

It's ridiculous, but those are the breaks of being me.

New Julien Baker album, Little Oblivions, out Feb. 26! Here's the fantastic first single.

For me, there's no artist today who can build up and break down such powerful swells of emotion better than Julien Baker. The full band sound just adds to that. Besides the great drums, I really enjoyed those warped, stuttering synth-strings that show up halfway through the song.

I absolutely love this and can't wait to hear the entire album.

RIP Tony Lewis of The Outfield

FUCK. That really sucks. And he was only 62? Jesus.

They're honestly a REALLY great band. Every song is just 80s pop rock perfection. Maybe none of them elevate as highly as "Your Love" but it's all just genuinely good music.

Really wanted to catch him at some 80s nostalgia event or another one of these days.

Today has been really musically depressing for me in general. I've been listening to the remaster of Wildflowers. Tom would've been 70 yesterday.

Just thinking about how more and more of the artists I love are gone and it's like...listening to music is really starting to become a depressing event, haha. It's what happens when a genre came around 60 years ago, though, right? People from the beginning are starting to dwindle away, and the following generations aren't spring chickens anymore, either.

Anyways, not to be woe-is-me, I'm old, just dealing with a difficult reality.

Slowpoke_-_CP.png

FUCK. That really sucks. And he was only 62? Jesus.

They're honestly a REALLY great band. Every song is just 80s pop rock perfection. Maybe none of them elevate as highly as "Your Love" but it's all just genuinely good music.

Really wanted to catch him at some 80s nostalgia event or another one of these days.

Today has been really musically depressing for me in general. I've been listening to the remaster of Wildflowers. Tom would've been 70 yesterday.

Just thinking about how more and more of the artists I love are gone and it's like...listening to music is really starting to become a depressing event, haha. It's what happens when a genre came around 60 years ago, though, right? People from the beginning are starting to dwindle away, and the following generations aren't spring chickens anymore, either.

Anyways, not to be woe-is-me, I'm old, just dealing with a difficult reality.

I hear you. Just the normal passing of time is going to keep taking musicians away from us (though probably never Keef, he'll live forever) but it just sucks.

And re: The outfield. The album "Play Deep" was good start to finish, had 3 songs that got pretty heavy rotation on MTV at the time.
Your Love is by far their best known, but I preferred a couple other tunes more, most notably:

I hear you. Just the normal passing of time is going to keep taking musicians away from us (though probably never Keef, he'll live forever) but it just sucks.

And re: The outfield. The album "Play Deep" was good start to finish, had 3 songs that got pretty heavy rotation on MTV at the time.
Your Love is by far their best known, but I preferred a couple other tunes more, most notably:

That is the post on-point mullet I've ever seen.

Yeah, I love to turn that album on when I am doing something tedious and want something going in the background that I know I'm going to enjoy start to finish.

And just for fun, to round out their big hits, I love this song:

They're doing a couple live stream events for Tom Petty's 70th birthday, tomorrow, if anyone's interested in checking it out. I'll have to try and find the radio performances sometime later, but I'm very curious to see what Grouplove, The Killers and Kurt Vile get up to.

And if anyone does a sad, sappy cover of "Free Falling" they're dead to me for at least two weeks.

https://www.tompetty.com/news/tom-p...virtual-festival-confirmed-october-23-2254681

Screen%20Shot%202020-10-20%20at%203.00.47%20PM_1.png

Not sure how much is performances, and how much is simply people sharing stories, but I'll keep it on in the background while I'm working.

Ooh, cool, I'll have to give that a look as well.

So wild to think he would be 70 now were he still here. His loss still hurts.

Spencer Davis died recently as well, I think the same day as Tony Lewis.

My mom used to have this song on a mixtape that she loved to play a lot during car trips.

Say what you will about Tame Impala's latest album, but It Might Be Time is my favorite song of the year. That breakdown toward the middle with the siren guitar and heavy drum and bass is filthy.

It’s in my top 5 of the year. Of course, I don’t listen to nearly as much new music as others who post here, so take that with a grain of salt. But the whole second half for me is just about as good as any side of any of his albums.

I thought The Slow Rush was a snooze for the most part, and I say that as a big fan Kevin Parker, but One More Year really makes me feel something. Very emotional track in the context of everything that's happened in 2020 and resonates far more than the majority of the album.

I thought it was crappy, been going downhill consistently since Lonersim imo. But I’m totally with you on It Might Be Time, a huge track. I also really like Breathe Deeper, and wish the album had a bit more of that house sorta vibe.

New Gorillaz album is fucking fantastic. So happy to hear them working at a high level again.

Listen to the deluxe version.

Didn't even know they were still a thing and had one! Will listen for sure.

Just on It Might Be Time again, lyrically it's kind of a child's version of Time by Pink Floyd. Wonder if cdisantis would agree with that... remember that poster...

Some new Midnight Oil for the first time in 20 years. They are putting out a mini album collaborating with indigenous Australian artists. I like this one, has a Dead Heart feel.

New Gorillaz album is fucking fantastic. So happy to hear them working at a high level again.

Listen to the deluxe version.

Really fun album, though a bit on the long side for me. The song with St. Vincent was really cool. The list of guests is pretty incredible.

New Julien Baker album, Little Oblivions, out Feb. 26! Here's the fantastic first single.

For me, there's no artist today who can build up and break down such powerful swells of emotion better than Julien Baker. The full band sound just adds to that. Besides the great drums, I really enjoyed those warped, stuttering synth-strings that show up halfway through the song.

I absolutely love this and can't wait to hear the entire album.

Really loved the new song too, it feels like she is continuing to evolve with her sound. Can't wait for the album.

I follow Discogs on IG. They have been running genre-based survivors, and now they are on post-rock. Looking through the selections, I realize I have no fucking idea what qualifies as post-rock. Seems like the only consistent criterion is having some songs over seven minutes in length.

I've been hot and cold on Big Thief - especially the two albums from last year - but this new Adrianne Lenker album is really something. At times it seems almost childish but there is something beguiling about its sparseness.

You're on the threshold of getting five across the eyes.

Legit contenders include:

Domino
St. Dominic's Preview
Sweet Thing
Madame George
Jackie Wilson Said
Tupelo Honey
Into the Mystic
Bright Side of the Road

The title song from Astral Weeks is my favorite. It's a cleansing track, one of the most transcendent and spiritual music listening experiences that a person can have. All of the jazzy chamber music influences of that album are infused into a simple but ever-expanding arrangement with an insistent chord progression that allows the song to build effectively. The lyrics and vocal delivery are uplifting and inspirational without ever feeling hokey.

Have either of you fucking heard Dweller on the Threshold? it's literally perfect.

also all I know is the hits from a best of. I have owned Astral Weeks for yrs but never listened to it whoops

I've heard everything.

But as I listed above, that's not even the best on that collection.

I recommend actually listening to that unheard album you have, and also checking out Tupelo Honey, Moondance, and St. Dominic's Preview (the albums, not just the great title tracks).

I have come across a band called PUP, saw a review on Pitchfork, pop/punk, and they have a new EP called "This Place Sucks Ass" which appeals to me. I quite like it. A bit too on-the-nose for me to compare them favourably to Los Camp! but I dig it. Bit of Japandroids in there too, as well as blink, although that's really my only reference point for pop/punk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom