Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In other 20th anniversary news, the earth shattering, genre defining, greatest debut album OF ALL TIME, Hybrid Theory, is getting a deluxe release.

Jokes aside, it’s crazy that this, The Marshall Mathers LP and 2001 are all hitting the big 20 (2001 was a late 99 release but it feels like a 2000 record based on plays and singles exposure). These albums were insurmountable in my late high school days, for better or worse, and now they’re being trotted out again to in ludicrously expensive packages to dip into my adult bank account.

I was so young then, where did the time go? This must be how Laz has felt for like, forever.

I knew about Hybrid Theory, but not MMLP or 01. Damn. I want all three badly.

I am completely furious with the passage of time and cannot accept those albums are 20.

Any fans of The Waterboys here? I first became aware of them when I heard one of their songs covered at a Poi Dog Pondering show (any fans of that band either??) in the early 90s, and at the time was unaware of their connection to World Party, whose album Goodbye Jumbo is probably my favorite of 1990 after Sinéad’s.

Anyway, something recently reminded me to finally check them out via their album This Is The Sea, which I believe is regarded as their best? It’s considerably more uptempo and varied than I expected, great album and I’m definitely interested in hearing more. At this point I’d say I still prefer World Party, and that band’s frontman (or really the only man, as it’s a Nine Inch Nails-type group) Karl Wallinger has a considerably better vocal delivery.

If anyone has a recommendation as to where to go next, I’m open. It appears Fisherman’s Blues is another highlight.

It appears Fisherman’s Blues is another highlight.

Yes, that is possibly their best. It has a more Irish, folky sound than This Is The Sea. The songs on it are stellar (the title track, We Will Not Be Lovers, World Party (the song), The Stolen Child). Some years ago they released a 6CD boxset of all the sessions for the album, called Fisherman's Box. Though it's a bit overwhelming if you're just getting into the band, it is recommended if you do like the album.

After Fisherman's Blues I'd probably recommend its successor Room To Roam (which is more in the vein of Fisherman's Blues) or start at the beginning with A Pagan Place (which is closer in sound to This Is The Sea).

After all these years the band is still going strong, having just released a new album Good Luck Seeker. I still have to check it out. I thought their last few albums were enjoyable, but not earth-shattering.

I didn't know if you meant Van Halen or Vedder at first.

Completely forgot that EVH had cancer. He had been sick for a long time. RIP to one of the most influential guitarists ever.

I knew about Hybrid Theory, but not MMLP or 01. Damn. I want all three badly.

I am completely furious with the passage of time and cannot accept those albums are 20.

Some other albums that have turned 20 this year:

Smashing Pumpkins - Machina(the last album of their classic period - and it gave us the stone-cold classic "Stand Inside Your Love")

Coldplay - Parachutes(their debut is still one of their best)

Pearl Jam - Binaural(one of their most underappreciated, and imo their last great one)

Green Day - Warning(their last album before American Idiot, "Macy's Day Parade" is a great song)

Oh wow. That's awful. R.I.P.

Van Hagar was my first favorite band when I was seven years old.

The real Van Halen was my first.

Eddie seemed to be kind of an asshole w/r/t the whole Michael Anthony firing as well as the David Lee Roth controversy, but he’s a guitar god.

RIP

EVH really innovated things with his playing style. I read an article where he alluded to a metal guitar pick he used to keep in his mouth when playing being a possible cause of his cancer. But he was also a heavy smoker and battled alcoholism. He is a legend though. RIP.

Never a huge fan of the band but they had a few killer tunes (always loved "Runnin With the Devil" specifically) and there's no denying he had an incredible guitar tone.

Shame to hear about Eddie Van Halen. Fucking cancer. May he rest in peace.

Some other albums that have turned 20 this year:

Smashing Pumpkins - Machina(the last album of their classic period - and it gave us the stone-cold classic "Stand Inside Your Love")

Coldplay - Parachutes(their debut is still one of their best)

Pearl Jam - Binaural(one of their most underappreciated, and imo their last great one)

Green Day - Warning(their last album before American Idiot, "Macy's Day Parade" is a great song)

As if I needed another reason to feel old today :p.

RIP EVH :sad:

Before I got into U2, VH were far and away my favorite band. I would listen to their tapes over and over. This loss is a tough one.

Last edited:
This one hurts me deep to my soul. One of my all time favorite bands and musicians.
Seen the band somewhere around 15 times, with all 3 lead singers. Had the occasion to meet Eddie and Gary Cherone after they did a small acoustic thing at the Boston Hard Rock cafe during the VHIII tour.
Took my son to to see them in 2015 for his first rock concert when he was 11.
This is a big piece of my youth and musical history gone.
Go fuck yourselves cancer and 2020.

This one hurts me deep to my soul. One of my all time favorite bands and musicians.
Seen the band somewhere around 15 times, with all 3 lead singers. Had the occasion to meet Eddie and Gary Cherone after they did a small acoustic thing at the Boston Hard Rock cafe during the VHIII tour.
Took my son to to see them in 2015 for his first rock concert when he was 11.
This is a big piece of my youth and musical history gone.
Go fuck yourselves cancer and 2020.

Yes, I remember plenty of stories in the VH threads. When I heard Eddie's guitar anywhere, it felt like I was home. Too many of our legends of youth and afterward have gone off to that great gig in the sky. Glad you got your son to see him.

I know the name, but nothing else. Couldn't name a song, couldn't tell you anything about him/them other than I think they're a hair metal band?

However, I know the crushing feeling of having a musical hero die, so Hewson et al, I'm really sorry. Love to you today :heart:

I know the name, but nothing else. Couldn't name a song, couldn't tell you anything about him/them other than I think they're a hair metal band?

However, I know the crushing feeling of having a musical hero die, so Hewson et al, I'm really sorry. Love to you today :heart:

They might have had long hair, but they weren't a "hair metal" band. They were just rock n' roll.

They were not a hair metal band, but in many ways they may have been responsible for the genre's genesis.
A whole generation of rock guitarists began trying to emulate Eddie and a generation of singers tried to emulate David Lee Roth. A lot of those bands ended up being dubbed hair bands.

Any fans of The Waterboys here? I first became aware of them when I heard one of their songs covered at a Poi Dog Pondering show (any fans of that band either??) in the early 90s, and at the time was unaware of their connection to World Party, whose album Goodbye Jumbo is probably my favorite of 1990 after Sinéad’s.

Anyway, something recently reminded me to finally check them out via their album This Is The Sea, which I believe is regarded as their best? It’s considerably more uptempo and varied than I expected, great album and I’m definitely interested in hearing more. At this point I’d say I still prefer World Party, and that band’s frontman (or really the only man, as it’s a Nine Inch Nails-type group) Karl Wallinger has a considerably better vocal delivery.

If anyone has a recommendation as to where to go next, I’m open. It appears Fisherman’s Blues is another highlight.

I know this was already answered, but I just wanted to say that I love, love, love this band and that, yes, definitely Fisherman's Blues.

Friggin’ Cobbler.

I’ll take pride in being the only person to include Van Halen in the last DI competition?

This is another Friggin' moment I just can't really believe, but maybe American rock doesn't make it down to Australia as much as I would assume it would. They're such a huge band like....it's hard to believe.

One of these days I'll go full bore guilty pleasure and put "Dreams" on a list.

I just want to say that I have such powerful positive memories attached to Whole of the Moon thanks to the JT tour.

I'm sure there's a bunch of songs I know by Van Halen that I just don't know the name of. But in my mind, they're the same thing as Aerosmith and all those sorts of bands.

I know this was already answered, but I just wanted to say that I love, love, love this band and that, yes, definitely Fisherman's Blues.

This is another Friggin' moment I just can't really believe, but maybe American rock doesn't make it down to Australia as much as I would assume it would. They're such a huge band like....it's hard to believe.

One of these days I'll go full bore guilty pleasure and put "Dreams" on a list.

Please don't subject Cobbler, or anyone, to Van Hagar until they've processed all the work by the legit version of the band.

And Australia has AC/DC which is pretty similar to VH in terms of hard rock but not quite metal and def not glam/hair metal like Bon Jovi. Aerosmith is a different beast in that they're older, considerably more blues-based, and a pretty poor substitute for the Rolling Stones. When they sold out in the late 80s and went all Desmond Child/Diane Warren they revealed the true limitation of their talents; of course, they got super popular with the kids as a result. But post-rehab Aerosmith is straight-up trash.

I'll take AC/DC's first six albums (the Bon Scott era) and VH's first six (David Lee Roth era) and put it against ANY six LPs by Aerosmith, and it's not even close.

And repeating what I've said numerous times over the years, Guns 'n' Roses picked up where old school Aerosmith left off, and right out of the gate made an album better than anything their forbearers ever released. You could say the same about Use Your Illusion if you were being generous.

I would be interested in an in-depth outline/timeline of all these bands. It's quite confusing.

Well, first off, Van Halen and Van Hagar are the same band. David Lee Roth was the original lead singer from 1974 to 1985, and then he either quit or was fired, depending on who you listen to, and was replaced with Sammy Hagar, who fronted the band from 1986 to 1996. There are a lot of VH purists - like Laz, I guess - who speak derogatorily about "Van Hagar", aka the band when they were fronted by Hagar. I guess because the band delved more into power ballad territory at the same time(where they'd been more straight ahead rock before with Roth).

But straight up, David Lee Roth is a better entertainer, a better "frontman", but in terms of pure vocal ability, Hagar is the better singer, and it's really not close imo. I'll die on that hill.

Either way, you can't call VH with Hagar not "legit" just because you don't care for them.

Aerosmith put out their first album in 1971 and became pretty big in the 70s, but by the early 80s they were falling apart, Joe Perry(the lead guitarist and second most famous person in the band after Steven Tyler) briefly quit the band, and Tyler went to rehab(I think others did too). Long story short, they regrouped in the mid-80s and started letting outside songwriters help them write and they made a HUGE commercial comeback in the second half of the 80s and 90s - just a huge string of hits.

Again, I disagree with Laz. Aerosmith's 80s/90s material is certainly different from their 70s material in that's more pop-rock than rock, but I think it's enjoyable pop-rock. Nothing earth-shattering and nothing too deep, but enjoyable.

Guns'N'Roses formed in the mid-80s and put out their first album, Appetite For Destruction, in 1987, and it was enormously successful. Laz is saying that that album picked up where Aerosmith's 70s output left off, before they went pop-rock. Not entirely sure about that - 70s Aerosmith was more blues-based hard rock, while GnR was a little more metal, imo.

Last edited:
The funniest thing about this conversation to me is that Cobbler has yet to mention one hair metal band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom