Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks - Page 48 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-30-2021, 08:41 PM   #941
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,491
Local Time: 08:35 AM
I am just listening to Race for the Prize (weirdly because every now and then I remember the fact that the Flaming Lips rewrote the song in 2012 as the Thunder were going for the championship lol) and fucking hell, it's just so beautiful. There's a line in my edition of 1,001 albums to hear before you die about Backstreets being enough to make grown men weep, that's what I think of Race for the Prize. Such warmth, such humanity. I actually don't love the album THAT much (I think a few of the songs are pretty meh on their own and heavily outranked by the best songs, plus the live anniversary show I saw a couple years ago soured my view on it) but when it hits, it fucking hits to my core.
__________________

cobl04 is offline  
Old 03-31-2021, 07:25 AM   #942
ONE
love, blood, life
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 10,044
Local Time: 06:35 PM
Two new MBV albums in the works, vinyl reissues, streaming, and more. Really exciting!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/31/a...e-shields.html
__________________

gump is offline  
Old 03-31-2021, 08:47 AM   #943
ONE
love, blood, life
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 10,044
Local Time: 06:35 PM
Managed to pre-order Loveless (and m b v). I somehow found three of my white whales this week: Loveless, Gal Costa's solo debut, and Clube da Esquina 1.
gump is offline  
Old 03-31-2021, 07:19 PM   #944
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,865
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Ah this takes me back to the days when we were waiting for M B V and their website kept crashing
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 03-31-2021, 08:24 PM   #945
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,665
Local Time: 03:35 PM
I still think after a 20 year break the least you can do is come up with an actual album title.
lazarus is offline  
Old 03-31-2021, 08:38 PM   #946
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,865
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I still think after a 20 year break the least you can do is come up with an actual album title.

They went for A E S T H E T I C S.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 03-31-2021, 09:14 PM   #947
ONE
love, blood, life
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 10,044
Local Time: 06:35 PM
The new album will have no title.
gump is offline  
Old 04-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #948
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,665
Local Time: 03:35 PM
They should drop it on Easter Sunday and call it My Bunny Valentine.
lazarus is offline  
Old 04-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #949
Blue Crack Addict
 
the tourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,918
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Or sometime next month and call it May Bloody Valentine.
the tourist is offline  
Old 04-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #950
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,865
Local Time: 03:35 PM
They said there were two albums in the works, so ¿Por qué no los dos?
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 04-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #951
ONE
love, blood, life
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 10,044
Local Time: 06:35 PM
This Parisian group Feu! Chatterton put out a remarkable album this year. A weird mix of Chanson Française, electro pop with a bit of Krautroch. I saw some people pointing out the In Rainbows influence, and I hear some of it through the album (the song below is kind of like Nude; another one, L'homme qui vient, clearly borrows from Weird Fishes). The albums is quite long and could do with some editing, but the good moments are really good.

gump is offline  
Old 04-03-2021, 01:27 AM   #952
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,491
Local Time: 08:35 AM
I'll listen to it, because your recommendations lately have been dope. Smiling with No Teeth is excellent and a lot of fun, the sort of album you use the word eclectic for. One moment you're listening to Death Grips, the next, Danny Brown, then a bit of Kendrick, modern funk pop, 70s glam, mid-80s Bowie, Prince, some dance-punk, and then there's three closers. I love it.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 04-03-2021, 07:31 AM   #953
ONE
love, blood, life
 
mad1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Posts: 13,169
Local Time: 11:35 PM
uhhhhhhm so recently I have been listening and watching

U2 (old skool and new skool)
Foo Fighters
Tinlicker
The Weekend (he is HOT!!..)
and erm...........yea I still hit on Eminem.

and the usual other songs inter mingle with but the above is kinda the main entertainment.


mad1 is offline  
Old 04-03-2021, 03:09 PM   #954
ONE
love, blood, life
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 10,044
Local Time: 06:35 PM
Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I'll listen to it, because your recommendations lately have been dope. Smiling with No Teeth is excellent and a lot of fun, the sort of album you use the word eclectic for. One moment you're listening to Death Grips, the next, Danny Brown, then a bit of Kendrick, modern funk pop, 70s glam, mid-80s Bowie, Prince, some dance-punk, and then there's three closers. I love it.

Really glad you liked that one - I felt it was pretty much up your alley. Absolutely eclectic.

Hope you’ll enjoy Palais d’argile - definitely a very different listen.
gump is offline  
Old 04-03-2021, 04:44 PM   #955
ONE
love, blood, life
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,715
Local Time: 05:35 PM
Gump, given your familiarity with French music, do you know about Wax Buyers Club? They are a Parisian subscription service that issues eclectic stuff, including a lot of albums from French musicians. I have bought a few of their records from Discogs - most recently a French-language version of Nouvelle Vague's debut.
iron yuppie is online now  
Old 04-03-2021, 05:21 PM   #956
ONE
love, blood, life
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 10,044
Local Time: 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Gump, given your familiarity with French music, do you know about Wax Buyers Club? They are a Parisian subscription service that issues eclectic stuff, including a lot of albums from French musicians. I have bought a few of their records from Discogs - most recently a French-language version of Nouvelle Vague's debut.

Oh that looks nice. They seem to have a pretty wide selection based on their Discogs listings (many of which I couldn’t recognize). The Donald Byrd in Paris release caught my eye (as this the Nouvelle Vague album you mentioned). Oh my wallet.
gump is offline  
Old 04-04-2021, 08:29 AM   #957
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,491
Local Time: 08:35 AM
So I just did a big interference google, wanting to know when it was I first heard the song "Drinking in LA" by Bran Van 3000. I figured it was 2014 or 2015, turns it out it was 2012, way earlier than I thought. When Tame Impala were programming Rage, must have been shortly after Lonerism came out.

Anyway, I fell head over heels in love with the song immediately, and it became one of my favourite ever songs (though sadly nothing else by them is even half as good). I found it dreamy, particularly its main lyric, "what the hell am I doing drinking in LA / at twenty-six?", and I would often daydream about being in LA, drinking, at the age of 26.

I think about it every so often, because, and I say this with complete sincerity, one of the biggest regrets in my life is the fact that I actually WAS in LA, drinking, at the age of 26, because I was flew there for four nights to see two JT anniversary shows at the Rose Bowl. But after four years of build up, I forgot about that song and that lyric, and I never played it and never soaked in the moment.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 04-04-2021, 07:53 PM   #958
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,641
Local Time: 03:35 PM
I drank a lot in LA at 26 and that year was one of the worst of my life hahaha

Looking forward to getting drunk in public again soon though.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 04-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #959
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,865
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
So I just did a big interference google, wanting to know when it was I first heard the song "Drinking in LA" by Bran Van 3000. I figured it was 2014 or 2015, turns it out it was 2012, way earlier than I thought. When Tame Impala were programming Rage, must have been shortly after Lonerism came out.

Anyway, I fell head over heels in love with the song immediately, and it became one of my favourite ever songs (though sadly nothing else by them is even half as good). I found it dreamy, particularly its main lyric, "what the hell am I doing drinking in LA / at twenty-six?", and I would often daydream about being in LA, drinking, at the age of 26.

I think about it every so often, because, and I say this with complete sincerity, one of the biggest regrets in my life is the fact that I actually WAS in LA, drinking, at the age of 26, because I was flew there for four nights to see two JT anniversary shows at the Rose Bowl. But after four years of build up, I forgot about that song and that lyric, and I never played it and never soaked in the moment.

I forgot to listen to Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska while I was driving through Nebraska on my way to LA and it keeps me up at night sometimes.


Exaggeration? Maybe?
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 04-05-2021, 06:36 PM   #960
ONE
love, blood, life
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 10,044
Local Time: 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I forgot to listen to Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska while I was driving through Nebraska on my way to LA and it keeps me up at night sometimes.


Exaggeration? Maybe?


I feel that way whenever I forget to play New Year’s Day on New Year’s Day - and it’s an annual event, not a once in a lifetime occurrence (though I suppose you could always drive through Nebraska again).
__________________

gump is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×