Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Few starts to any album have blown me away on first listen like 3rd Planet/Gravity Rides Everything/Perfect Disguise. I was like 16 at the time and it encapsulated everything I was feeling so perfectly.

I didn't get into the entire album until years later but man it really stuck with me. Probably a top 10-20 album for that decade.

Blueprint I can accept at the top. It's iconic and influential.

Thing is, as a lyricist and rapper, Jay was never better across a full album than he was on Reasonable Doubt. It's actually startling to listen to albums like Magna Carta Holy Grail and then go back to Reasonable Doubt and hear how confident, witty and fluid he sounded there.

Can't Knock the Hustle/Politics as Usual/Brooklyn's Finest/Dead Presidents II (perhaps his best song)/Feelin' It/D'evils is as good a run as exists in hip hop.

There's no doubt it's a phenomenal debut.

Of course, I don't think Jay has slipped as far in general as many do. You're right about Magna Carta too, but The Blueprint III is better than it has any right to be, and 4:44 was surprisingly solid and different.

I mean, the guy is a billionaire, how good should one expect his output to be at this point?

The masks cover the pervasive urine smell that cloaks the city of angels, so I'm no sure why anyone would be against wearing them here.

I will never forget the unbelievable stench on that train you and I caught back in February 2017. Holy hell, I've been in bad pub toilets before but that was like a thousand guys unleashed at once.

I'm not defending his stance on masks, but I think the point about restaurants is the inconsistency involved with saying being maskless at a gym, for example, is a clear transmission risk, but not so in a bar or restaurant. IMO restaurants should still be takeout only and bars shouldn't be open at all.

IMO your entire country should be shut entirely.

Listening back to Random Access Memories, what a fucking mess. There's about six or so songs that are fucking stellar - Get Lucky, Contact, Lose Yourself to Dance, Giorgio by Moroder, Doin it Right, and the rest are fucking atrocious.

So I have The Gouster, which is on the 74-76 massive boxset, and it occurred to me that I actually have never listened to Young Americans. It's a bit of a slog tbh, and I think I'd very nearly take The Gouster over it, were it not for Win and Fascination and Fame.

New Sufjan, Sylvan Esso, and Fleet Foxes in the same week. Best release week in a looonnnng time.

Plus Deftones, a new Black Thought EP, Anna von Hausswolff, Bob Mould, Thurston Moore and Idles. Absolutely crazy week.

Rolling Stone updated their 500 greatest albums of all-time. Of course the order is going to be wonky but I enjoyed reading through it.

My biggest personal takeaway is that I need to listen to more Aretha Franklin. Ashamed to say I only know a handful of songs and have never actually heard a full album of hers.

Rolling Stone updated their 500 greatest albums of all-time. Of course the order is going to be wonky but I enjoyed reading through it.

My biggest personal takeaway is that I need to listen to more Aretha Franklin. Ashamed to say I only know a handful of songs and have never actually heard a full album of hers.

Glad I started with the last section (69-1), which is such a dumpster fire I don’t need to bother reading the rest of it. Not a single U2 album, but two each from from Jay-Z, OutKast, James Brown, Bowie, and Radiohead? Alanis Morissette?

Fuck that noise.

Sgt. Pepper’s plummeting to #24 is laughable.

I closed the tab when Harry Styles' 9 month old album nobody will remember in a few years was ranked above Funeral and The Ronettes' debut.

I have been enjoying the reactions to the list from other people though. Funny stuff!

How is a best of compilation (Legend) even eligible for a best albums list?

Also, I do find Jagged Little Pill underrated these days, but not a top-100 album of all time underrated.

Last edited:
Someone pasted the whole list somewhere else, and U2’s first appearance is at fucking #124 with Achtung??

I’m mystified that Rolling Stone overpraised the last two (or three) albums but then gave them the shaft here. It’s legitimately offensive that the biggest band of the last 40 years is relegated that low.

Someone pasted the whole list somewhere else, and U2’s first appearance is at fucking #124 with Achtung??

I’m mystified that Rolling Stone overpraised the last two (or three) albums but then gave them the shaft here. It’s legitimately offensive that the biggest band of the last 40 years is relegated that low.
No, Joshua Tree shows up at #135 and then Achtung at #124. That's all they have for THE 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom