Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #741
Refugee

Local Time: 06:19 PM
I was born in 1988, which had some good albums but is weaker than the years surrounding it.

U2 - Rattle & Hum
The Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Tender Prey
R.E.M. - Green
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Prince - Lovesexy
Metallica - And Justice for All
N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton

I think The Sugarcubes' album is my favorite of that year.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #742
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:19 PM
U2, R.E.M., Metallica, Prince all had considerable drop-offs compared to their previous releases here.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:47 AM   #743
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
1984 here as well. In addition the ones you named, 1984 also has:

The Replacements' "Let It Be"(haven't heard this one myself)
That's the best of all you listed.

Like A Virgin is a close second, though.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #744
Blue Crack Addict

My birth year (1992) is somewhat eventful but uninteresting to me. Apparently the MP3 format was developed in 1992 though. Yay technology.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #745
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
U2, R.E.M., Metallica, Prince all had considerable drop-offs compared to their previous releases here.
Say what? AJFA is one of their greatest! Granted, it's a shame about the production and the way they were treating Newsted, but One, To Live Is To Die, the title track, Blackened?

Quote:
That's the best of all you listed.

Like A Virgin is a close second, though.
Like I said, I haven't listened to Let It Be yet, but I have never, ever understood the adoration of Pleased To Meet Me(maybe why I haven't bothered to check out LIB yet). I just don't get the band, so I doubt I'd rank LIB anywhere near the top of 1984. Plus, the chutzpah of using the name of a Beatles record for your record turns me off a bit. It'd be like if some band now named their album The Joshua Tree or Nevermind or something.

And Like A Virgin second? I can get on board with 90s Madonna, Secret and the Ray Of Light album and all that, but LAV, while fun, is nowhere close to Metallica/Queen/U2/Bruce/Van Halen/Prince/Depeche Mode/etc etc for me.

Quote:
Cypress Hill's self-titled debut, Primal Scream's Screamadelica, Ice Cube's Death Certificate, Ice-T's Original Gangster, Bonnie Raitt's Luck of the Draw, Lenny Kravitz's Mama Said, De La Soul is Dead, The KLF's The White Room, Prince's Diamonds and Pearls, Crowded House's Woodface, Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend, The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Underworld, Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque, Pixies's Trompe le Monde, Dinosaur Jr's Green Mind, Saint Etienne's Foxbase Alpha, Hole's Pretty on the Inside, Electronic's self-titled, EMF's Schubert Dip, Throwing Muses's The Real Ramona (something from here was on my most-recent DI submission), Sting's The Soul Cages, Van Morrison's Hymns to the Silence, Superchunk's No Pocky For Kitty, Slowdive's Just For A Day.

And there were also some prominent popular albums that I didn't care about but certainly make the year even busier: Bryan Adams, Paula Abdul, Genesis, Jesus Jones, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, Color Me Badd, Naughty By Nature, Skid Row, Mr. Big, Roxette, Mariah Carey, P.M. Dawn, Ozzy Osbourne, Boyz II Men.

Stacked, to say the least.
Also I forgot to respond to this the other day, but

1. Good call on Primal Scream, I usually include that album when talking about 91, and I even used Loaded on my last DI list.
2. We both neglected to mention Toad The Wet Sprocket's "Fear", which spawned the hit single "All I Want". I don't know much about that band, but I like the song well enough, so figured I'd mention them.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #746
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
My birth year (1992) is somewhat eventful but uninteresting to me. Apparently the MP3 format was developed in 1992 though. Yay technology.
Yeah, 92 is sort of a valley between the legendary 91 and the also-stacked 93 and 94.

But 92 did give us Automatic For The People, AIC's Dirt, Little Earthquakes, The Cure's Wish, RATM's debut, the Blind Melon debut with "No Rain" on it, Gin Blossoms' New Miserable Experience with "Hey Jealousy" on it, among others. Oh, and Clapton's "Unplugged".
Old 02-12-2021, 01:25 PM   #747
Blue Crack Addict

Check Your Head and The Chronic (and a few others that i personally consider classics) came out in 92, and it was also the debut year for Common, Twista, the Pharcyde, Das EFX, and Redman (though 92 did also give us the Insane Clown Posse so it may be a wash).
Old 02-12-2021, 02:06 PM   #748
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
(though 92 did also give us the Insane Clown Posse so it may be a wash).
And the world began to wonder how magnets work.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:28 PM   #749
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Say what? AJFA is one of their greatest! Granted, it's a shame about the production and the way they were treating Newsted, but One, To Live Is To Die, the title track, Blackened?
When I said it was a drop-off, it's only because Master of Puppets is pretty indisputably the greatest metal album ever recorded.

AJFA has some great tracks indeed, though I never liked One. And I did start getting annoyed at Hetfield's vocal tics, like adding "YA!" at the end of each line.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:53 AM   #750
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
I was born in 1988, which had some good albums but is weaker than the years surrounding it.

U2 - Rattle & Hum
The Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Tender Prey
R.E.M. - Green
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Prince - Lovesexy
Metallica - And Justice for All
N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton

I think The Sugarcubes' album is my favorite of that year.
'88 was a damn good year! Being a big VH/DLR fan at the time, they both released albums that year. Also remember that a lot of the stuff that came out in '87 was still popular in '88. Def Leppard released several singles from Hysteria. And you couldn't escape Sweet Child O Mine from GnR in the Summer of '88. '87 to '89 was a pretty solid run in rock, pop, and rap.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #751
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm listening to the most maddening album to come out in my birth year: Tango in the Night. Is there any Singles to Full Album comparison more disappointing?
Old 02-13-2021, 03:38 PM   #752
Blue Crack Addict

It peters out a bit at the end, but otherwise it’s a fairly strong album. Apart from the singles, the Buckingham tracks in particular are very good.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #753
Blue Crack Distributor

I really do like "Caroline" and "Welcome to the Room...Sara", but otherwise, I'm not sure I agree. For Lindsay, "You and I, Pt. II" and "Family Man" are not favorites of mine. Though I recall a lot of people like the latter.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #754
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, Family Man is great. I also really like the title track.

Really the main drawback is the lack of Nicks, but she was so strung out at the time it’s amazing they got Seven Wonders out of her.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #755
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'm listening to the most maddening album to come out in my birth year: Tango in the Night. Is there any Singles to Full Album comparison more disappointing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Really the main drawback is the lack of Nicks, but she was so strung out at the time it’s amazing they got Seven Wonders out of her.
Agree on both of these, and for me, I think Say You Will is a better album. I'd rather have no McVie at all than paltry input from Nicks. And while the reunion album may not hit the highs of Everywhere or Little Lies, it's more consistent.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #756
Blue Crack Distributor

I actually have not heard Say You Will. I'll see if I can get a spin of that in today. Hard to guarantee being a stupidly long 1 hour and 15 minutes
Old 02-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #757
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:19 PM
I might have said this before, but The Shins are the only band that I actively dislike but have one song that I love, which is New Slang.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:53 PM   #758
Blue Crack Addict

Why do you actively dislike them?
Old 02-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #759
More 5G Than Man

Those first three Shins albums are cornerstones for me. I got into indie pop/rock through Oh Inverted World and it's still one of my favorite albums of all time.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:28 PM   #760
Blue Crack Distributor

Hearing someone say they actively hate The Shins just hurt me right in the soul.