Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was also drinking in LA at 26, and thought of the song like a week after the fact and wished i'd thought to play it then. not "one of the biggest regrets in my life", but it was kind of an aw shit missed opportunity i suppose.

maybe the amount of regret scales with distance from california.

I live in Los Angeles and have played the album Los Angeles by X while here.

I have also listened to the songs called California by Joni Mitchell and Shuttlecock while in California.

No regrets.

I feel that way whenever I forget to play New Year’s Day on New Year’s Day - and it’s an annual event, not a once in a lifetime occurrence (though I suppose you could always drive through Nebraska again).

I plan to at least once....when I drive the hell out of this city and back to somewhere with proper seasons.

a lot of California-based songs truly are great to listen to when in the area though. i have a great memory of listening to Malibu by Hole while literally on a drive from Venice to Malibu. there was a lot of RHCP on that playlist too that also felt super right at the time. maybe it's just a fake mystique, but it's *something* for a lot of people from away, probably in a way that old New York songs used to (maybe still do?) hit tourists and new arrivals to NYC.

Last edited:
a lot of California-based songs truly are great to listen to when in the area though. i have a great memory of listening to Malibu by Hole while literally on a drive from Venice to Malibu. there was a lot of RHCP on that playlist too that also felt super right at the time. maybe it's just a fake mystique, but it's *something* for a lot of people from away, probably in a way that old New York songs used to (maybe still do?) hit tourists and new arrivals to NYC.

I made an entire DI playlist around that concept >_>

Yo, it's one universal law but two sides to every story
Three strikes and you be in for life, mandatory
Four MC's murdered in the last four years
I ain't trying to be the fifth one, the millennium is here
Yo it's 6 Million Ways to Die, from the seven deadly thrills
Eight-year olds getting found with 9 mill's
It's 10 P.M., where your c's at? What's the deal
He on the hill puffin krill to keep they belly filled
Light in the ass with heavy steel, sights on the pretty shit in life
Young soldiers trying to earn they next stripe
When the average minimum wage is $5.15
You best believe you gotta find a new ground to get cream
The white unemployment rate, is nearly more than triple for black
So front liners got they gun in your back
Bubbling crack, jewel theft and robbery to combat poverty
And end up in the global jail economy
Stiffer stipulations attached to each sentence
Budget cutbacks but increased police presence
And even if you get out of prison still living
Join the other five million under state supervision
This is business, no faces just lines and statistics
From your phone, your zip code, to S-S-I digits
The system break man child and women into figures
Two columns for who is, and who ain't niggas
Numbers is hardly real and they never have feelings
But you push too hard, even numbers got limits
Why did one straw break the camel's back? Here's the secret
The million other straws underneath it, it's all mathematics

One of my proudest achievements, despite the fact that in hindsight it was a pretty :eyebrow: thing to be doing, is rapping that from front to back without a lyric sheet at a hip-hop karaoke night.

Not sure it's for me, but the Dry Cleaning album New Long Leg will appeal to some where. The vocals are quite captivating.
The vocals kiiinda grated on me over 42 minutes, it's like a whole Sonic Youth album of just Kim Gordon. But they've got a pretty cool dynamic going. People seem to be really into them.

Last edited:
Feu! Chatterton's album is a keeper. Didn't need to be 70 minutes long IMO but I don't really know what I would cut either. Very lush sound. I look forward to more material from them.

Speaking of cool French bands, La Femme released their 3rd album today. Loved the first two, and their most recent Mystère was my #1 of its year (one of its songs was on my most recent Desert Island submission).

Pitchfork gave it a 6.9 but the review reads more positive than that, and is more in the vein of "If you're partial to this kind of thing you'll love it" so I'm not expecting to be disappointed:

La Femme Paradigmes

Apparently "anti-folk" is a genre that exists and the band "Crywank" is a member thereof.

Apparently "anti-folk" is a genre that exists

0ba756517c1444974dc46436bdbd4fe8.gif

The vocals kiiinda grated on me over 42 minutes, it's like a whole Sonic Youth album of just Kim Gordon. But they've got a pretty cool dynamic going. People seem to be really into them.

I've never listened to Sonic Youth; I do like the vocals and guitar on this album although it does grate for 42 straight minutes. What album would you recommend I listen to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom