Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a pretty one-note release, yeah. I've never found her content very interesting, but there's nothing here for me from a content perspective and it doesn't offer a ton of musical variety.

Ultraviolence Lana had some problematic qualities but that album was so textured and bracing compared to her newer stuff.

I know I like NFR more than most, but even with it general lack of diversity, it still had nice melodies that I still hum frequently, like Venice Bitch. There's nothing quite like it here. Chemtrails is so monotonous that it feels like a much longer album despite being over 20 minutes shorter.

It has been a weird musical year for my family, as my one brother's favorite artist (Taylor Swift) combined with my favorite artist (The National, via Aaron Dessner) to put together the "Album of the Year" (per the Grammys).

I know I like NFR more than most, but even with it general lack of diversity, it still had nice melodies that I still hum frequently, like Venice Bitch. There's nothing quite like it here. Chemtrails is so monotonous that it feels like a much longer album despite being over 20 minutes shorter.

I adore the title track, one of my favourite songs of the decade, and three or four others on that record are really good, including that one you named, but it is about 20 mins too long and features a lot of that boring, maudlin, slow and ostentatious (that's the closest to the word I'm thinking of, which is giving off the impression of deep art and meaning but being blind to the fact it's not that deep, which is also how I've felt about Father John Misty of late, if anyone knows the word I'm thinking of, let me know) music that puts me to sleep, and from everything I've heard Chemtrails doubles down on that.

Hilariously, she's got another one out in a few months Lana Del Rey announces new album Rock Candy Sweet

God she's hot though.

Listened to the test pressing version of Blood on the Tracks tonight for the first time and while I prefer the variety and intensity of the final version of the album my GOD that take of You're a Big Girl Now is heartbreaking.

I adore the title track, one of my favourite songs of the decade, and three or four others on that record are really good, including that one you named, but it is about 20 mins too long and features a lot of that boring, maudlin, slow and ostentatious (that's the closest to the word I'm thinking of, which is giving off the impression of deep art and meaning but being blind to the fact it's not that deep, which is also how I've felt about Father John Misty of late, if anyone knows the word I'm thinking of, let me know) music that puts me to sleep, and from everything I've heard Chemtrails doubles down on that.

Hilariously, she's got another one out in a few months Lana Del Rey announces new album Rock Candy Sweet

God she's hot though.
I think you're looking for pretentious, not ostentatious. An ostentatious song would be extremely over the top, showy and obnoxious, but not necessarily feigning depth. Muse and Queen are ostentatious.

Last edited:

God she's hot though.

I hear you, and there’s a certain type of privileged person that thinks their thoughts are always so important for the rest of the world to hear. NFR just mostly delivers for me. Perhaps a couple of songs I could do without, but I mostly just like to listen to it front to back, even if it’s long.

Listened to the test pressing version of Blood on the Tracks tonight for the first time and while I prefer the variety and intensity of the final version of the album my GOD that take of You're a Big Girl Now is heartbreaking.

The original If You See Her, Say Hello blows the release version out of the water.

Genesis Owusu's Smiling with No Teeth is so so good. I think a lot of people here might enjoy this - cobbler in particular (plus, he is Australian-Ghanaian). The album moves across genres so seamlessly, it is hard to really place it. "The Other Black Dog" made me think of Dear Science (minus the horns):

But then something like Waitin' on Ya could belong in a Blood Orange record.

Anyways, just a great listen all around. It's perhaps a couple of songs too long, but still a very strong album, one of the best of the year so far.

Last edited:
I was tempted to make a thread for that album because I think Owusu could be a star. That album is borderline top 5 for the year right now and shows so much promise.

Haha cobbler and custard

9913.jpg

never heard of em

I was glad Katrina had, I posted about it on Facebook as well and she responded. They're a 90s Indie Rock/Pop band from Brisbane, and the lead singer is the voice of one of the characters on a super popular kids show my daughter is obsessed with. I didn't realize until the other day. I gave one of their albums a spin Sunday and was pleasantly surprised. /random.

There he is.

But for real, this is the best preschool-aimed show of all time, or at least since Arthur.

New Antlers album is out today. It is pretty and pastoral, but it all kind of blended together for me.

I liked it a lot, in the same way that enjoy languid latter period Yo La Tengo.

Nothing beats the Floating Points/Pharoah Sanders/London Symphony Orchestra collab album that dropped today though. My goodness that is a great album.

I haven't read any of these specific stories, but I do believe very much in separating art from artist, though it is sometimes easier said than done.

But I don't really think you should have to stop listening to a piece of music you like when the creator of said piece of music has been revealed to have done bad things. To do so is not in any way to support or defend the artist's actions.

But again, I'm not familiar with the details of what this guy is accused of beyond that it's sexual misconduct.

The stories are awful. Who could guess that a guy who was an asshole in public would be even more of an asshole in private.

I haven't read any of these specific stories, but I do believe very much in separating art from artist, though it is sometimes easier said than done.

But I don't really think you should have to stop listening to a piece of music you like when the creator of said piece of music has been revealed to have done bad things. To do so is not in any way to support or defend the artist's actions.

But again, I'm not familiar with the details of what this guy is accused of beyond that it's sexual misconduct.

I think it's fair to not judge someone for their attachment to art when those revelations are learned later. At the same time, I think it's fair for those aware of such misconduct to discount the art learned of subsequent to said revelation. And I say this without knowing really who we're even talking about or what happened, I just know there have been enough incidents among artists over the last decade to feel like this is a fair assessment for any of these situations.

Yeah, I hate this feeling that I'm not allowed to NOT separate the art and artists.

There are some artists I go ahead and continue to enjoy the things they've done. There are some I will never be able to look at or listen to again. That's my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom