Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm listening to the most maddening album to come out in my birth year: Tango in the Night. Is there any Singles to Full Album comparison more disappointing?

I really do like "Caroline" and "Welcome to the Room...Sara", but otherwise, I'm not sure I agree. For Lindsay, "You and I, Pt. II" and "Family Man" are not favorites of mine. Though I recall a lot of people like the latter.

Yes, Family Man is great. I also really like the title track.

Really the main drawback is the lack of Nicks, but she was so strung out at the time it’s amazing they got Seven Wonders out of her.

I'm listening to the most maddening album to come out in my birth year: Tango in the Night. Is there any Singles to Full Album comparison more disappointing?

Really the main drawback is the lack of Nicks, but she was so strung out at the time it’s amazing they got Seven Wonders out of her.

Agree on both of these, and for me, I think Say You Will is a better album. I'd rather have no McVie at all than paltry input from Nicks. And while the reunion album may not hit the highs of Everywhere or Little Lies, it's more consistent.

I actually have not heard Say You Will. I'll see if I can get a spin of that in today. Hard to guarantee being a stupidly long 1 hour and 15 minutes :|

I might have said this before, but The Shins are the only band that I actively dislike but have one song that I love, which is New Slang.

Those first three Shins albums are cornerstones for me. I got into indie pop/rock through Oh Inverted World and it's still one of my favorite albums of all time.

I'm not saying they're a bad band. But something about Mercer's writing style really grates on me, and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. The song "Name for You" encapsulates it.

Hearing someone say they actively hate The Shins just hurt me right in the soul.

10ef6a62f1d423c995bb4e3bab87cd21c34be270_hq.gif

I don't know if anyone remembers Django Django (one of those bands Interference seemingly fell in love with and then promptly forgot about), but their new record is fantastic. I need to go back to the first one to compare, but based off memory alone, I think I like this one more.

Ok, I went back and listened to the debut. They used to be WAY more dance than I remembered. Both albums are good, but I think possibly too different to compare...

Hmm, I must consider further.

I'm not saying they're a bad band. But something about Mercer's writing style really grates on me, and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. The song "Name for You" encapsulates it.
If I had to guess based on your example, it's framing things as social commentary that don't resonate or reflect reality in an accurate way.

This year I have been playing a song at the beginning of every Zoom class for my students, who are high school age. I've played a wide range of stuff, from Blue Note jazz to indie electro and 70s funk. Today I finally got something that elicited a response from them: My Bloody Valentine's "When You Sleep." A bunch asked what it was and said they loved it. So MBV apparently has some appeal to Gen Z.

Smart kids. That wall of sound works well on headphones. Can’t imagined they had ever heard anything like that before.

I know this is going to put me in a corner, and I also know I've said this before, but I love "When You Sleep" so much more than anything else MBV has ever done. I like it so much, it's acted as sort of a barrier to entry for me with the band, in that, while I like them a great deal, I will never love them, because nothing else they've ever done comes even close to "When You Sleep" for me.

My favorite MBV is also one that isn’t on Spotify so I almost never hear it. Strawberry Wine.

I know this is going to put me in a corner, and I also know I've said this before, but I love "When You Sleep" so much more than anything else MBV has ever done. I like it so much, it's acted as sort of a barrier to entry for me with the band, in that, while I like them a great deal, I will never love them, because nothing else they've ever done comes even close to "When You Sleep" for me.

It's my favorite of theirs for sure, but it just takes Loveless over the top for me. There are so many good moments throughout. The segue into I Only Said is perfect. Soon is another favorite, which I used it on my first DI list. "When You Sleep" is also one of my favorite musical moments in films, when it's played in Lost in Translation. So good.

It's a shame that m b v is not available on streaming services (or at least not in Spotify). It's a bit underrated, in my view, and such a maniacal labor of love and detail...

Same. Nothing matches that drum intro leading into Kevin Shields' iconic elephant vacuum guitar riff. I'm jealous of anyone who still needs to hear that for the first time.

Last edited:
I don't think I ever really went into how much I love this album from last year:

It's the most recent project from the lead singer of Cymbals Eat Guitars, but it's much more intimate and melancholy than any of their work. Great indie rock album from start to finish, but Marian though...that's one of those tracks you remember where you were when you heard it for the first time. An astounding rollercoaster of a song that never runs out of great hooks and ideas. And there's still another 40 minutes of album to go!

If Axver were still posting in here, he would back me up. He rated it highly on RYM months before I ever heard it.

Last edited:
Katy Kirby's debut, Cool Dry Place, can be a bit derivative and saccharine at times, but it is pleasant indie pop and has nice moments. I liked the title track quite a bit:

Last edited:
LM, I'm enjoying this Empty Country record, but I can't for the life of me identify who this singer reminds me of. It's a very recognizable voice from some indie rock band, I think. I'm thinking in particular of his vocal delivery in Marian.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom